The Student Room Group

Rubbish teachers - tell your stories?

Scroll to see replies

Lol. My A level biology teacher... Only two words needed to describe him: incompetent imbecile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school was deemed 'inadequate' by Ofsted. I'm a bit worried that I consider most of these stories rather normal in my school.
Reply 62
One of my teachers literally used handouts to 'teach'. He would tell us to read a handout, highlight it, and then answer a worksheet. He would hardly ever stand in front of the class and actually teach. He relied on hand outs too much. Probably killed about a billion trees too.
My computing teacher:
Me: Hey sir, can I ask you a question?
Him: Search the internet

This guy can't teach, he doesn't know anything. Yet when someone observes this guy turns into a completely different person and actually teachers properly. A shame really.
(edited 9 years ago)
I went to a pretty decent school but still had some bad teachers:

Chemistry: GCSE teacher was absolutely awful. Literally the most boring man on the planet, he droned on about things then summarised with 'but you don't need to know that' every time. So basically when we already had no understanding of the basics, he went and complicated it further until you had no idea at all. Had absolutely no control of my class which went riot every time we did experiments. Many a bunsen burner used to melt things/set stuff on fire, bags full of water being lobbed about, broken glass everywhere, notes/pencil cases being chucked in the sink and then the tap being turned on, notes drawn over until you could barely make out the typed stuff out. He also had a thing against me, always moved me when I was one of the few who didn't actually disrupt the class :s-smilie:

Art: I was decent enough at art but she was ridiculous. Couldn't spell to save her life (remember when we were doing a Guernica brain storm to re-create our own, we were looking at different wars. 'Irac' was apparently one... She also spelt a village which was about 10 miles away from our town wrong and didn't know what hydrochloric acid was). She also never taught you any new techniques, and when she came over to 'help' you she just did a line on the page showing you it needed to be bigger. Literally all she ever contributed. Odd woman, too.

Maths: 5 years of her, she was awful. Didn't really teach anything, always rushed through it, left everything for homeworks and then shouted at you when you asked for help/got it wrong because you just didn't understand. She was probably a decent teacher if you had an aptitude for maths, but for those who didn't you had no hope, really (she once shouted at my two friends to "GO!" when they asked her for help after class...)

History: He wasn't really a bad teacher, just had nothing on my other one who was wonderful. When the awesome teacher was replaced by this other teacher because he retired, everything went down hill. She did nothing but talk up one of the poshest schools in NI and make us feel **** (which was a bit rich considering my school was still a voluntary grammar), her notes were full of grammar mistakes, she corrected me because I spelt the phrase 'political vacuum' wrongly (I spelt it as 'political vacuum', the textbook spelt it as 'political vacuum', she corrected it to 'political vacum'. Genuinely no idea why she thought she was right because you don't spell vacuum how she did! Her notes also had it spelt 'political vacuum' so...)

All PE classes were pretty **** tbh, all the female PE teachers only liked the super sporty arse lickers and the men ones were lazy and made us do the most mundane sports, ie cross country... Fair enough if that's your bag, but no one liked it yet we had to do it every single summer. Would have been nice to try something like hurdles, tag rugby, etc.

When I did languages I never really liked my Spanish or French teachers. They were okay but a bit annoying and I think they knew I hated their subjects so at least they never bothered me too much.

My English teacher on the other hand... :love:
Year 7 Maths teacher - looked like Harry Potter; was very sensitive; being 11-/12-year-olds, some of us were very cruel and would make fun of her; she'd get angry and sometimes even cry; chaos would ensue; she'd refuse to teach the lesson, preferring to stand in front of the class, silently simmering, with her index finger to her lips to indicate that we should be quiet; no one paid her any mind and to conclude, she was crap.

Year 8 Science teacher - this guy was a genius, he knew everything. Even had a PhD. Anyway, he had a kind of sinister air around him, and I always thought he appeared kind of scary. I gave him the benefit of the doubt though. He ended up throwing a chair at a kid. Also, for someone so clever, he wasn't the greatest teacher. He'd always book the ICT room for us and tell us to make stupid PowerPoints.

Year 9 Maths teacher - this teacher was crazy. I had him in Year 7 and he was so so awful. He'd basically start the lesson, find some weird connection to his life, and then spend the entire lesson talking about his life - e.g. once a question asked something about shillings and he ended up talking about his mother somehow. Then, when the bell would ring, he would always act surprised and frantically rush to teach us everything and we'd end up saying behind about 15 mins. The worst thing was that every Thursday, we had him the lesson before lunch. :unimpressed:

Year 10 and 11 have been OK though! All my teachers are actually brilliant atm :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
At GCSE most of my teachers were pretty good, so I'm lucky in that sense. Most of the bad teachers were either subs or were there before I was doing GCSEs, so it wasn't of much consequence. One memorable one though was a substitute in either year 9 or 10. It was a maths class and this guy decided to look at the register that was on the table in front of him (he was sat right by the teacher's desk and the register had photos of the students on it), therefore it was only understandable that the substitute tell him off and give us all a nice, long lecture on 'stealing' and how we'll never amount to anything and if we fail it doesn't matter because he still gets paid. Apparently he had done a similar thing to a Spanish class, essentially telling them that they're all going to fail and they're stupid etc.

Needless to say he got plenty of complaints and was never seen after that incident. Still, I actually found it quite funny how ridiculous he was. :biggrin:
So we started English literature gcse in January of year 11 .. It was great :|
Reply 68
Original post by toonervoustotalk
My stats teacher didnt even teach us the info we needed to know and i had a lesson every tuesday for 2 and a half hours and she jyst expected us to know the information. How is that possible. I was in year 10 at this stage and i was always mucking about with my mates in class but i can assure you she couldnt control the class and her voice was soo fraking annoying. I dont even know how i managed to get an A in statistics with that teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow :curious:
It sounds like I had the exact same Stats teacher as you. Her voice is so fricking annoying >.<
(edited 9 years ago)
There's this "history teacher" who apparently in my friends class, just told them to read the textbook and he went k. His phone that was it every lesson xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry is awful. In chemistry we climb out of the window, disconnect her mouse, walk around the classroom, listen to music, go to the toilet. My class is really immature & she has no control at all. She also doesn't teach the topics in order or fast enough, I do triple science & the core science group are ahead of us. Consequently Most of this year I have selftaught . :smile:
When my sister was in year one, her teacher tore up her work in front of her for it apparently not being good enough. She then started screaming at my sister for not crying when this happened (my sister hardly ever shows emotion by crying - if shes upset, her eyebrows go red)

My GCSE psychology teacher left the second half of the course to the end of year eleven, then got really stressed out. I asked her for the studies we needed because I couldn't find them online, and she just sat there and said "Well I managed to find them". And then started screaming at me when I pointed out that I was the one who actually needed the studies...
Oh I forgot to mention the terrible Biology teachers at my school, I remember when we were learning about a balanced diet in year 10 and the teacher used a girl on the larger side as an example and said "hefty *insert name* clearly needs to burn off more energy than she's taking in, I on the other hand don't" she said this in a dead serious tone and the poor girl left the room in floods of tears. That teacher is still there... :colonhash:

Also we had this really 'fit' teacher that was an actor- nothing major, he was on some TV show and all the girls drooled over him a lot and he spent the whole lesson sitting on the table showing his 'toned' arms off to the girls. There was apparently some inappropriate messages sent between him and a sixth former and he hasn't been in for like a month now. :rolleyes:

Girls schools are basically pedophile heaven lol
I also had this GCSE biology teacher who wasn't great. To be fair he wasn't a bad teacher but his personality and character was really dickish and overall he was quite unprofessional.

He used to bring light meals into the lesson and eat while teaching, put his feet up on the desk, talk about misogyny and one thing that really stood out was how he used to brag about how he was once in the Middle East and got a homosexual man arrested just for his sexuality and nothing else. It was dreadful having him; a real killjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
I have so many teachers I could talk about.

Year 7: We had this awful female teacher for maths who just could not control the class, nor could she teach anything. We ended up complaining about her and she left. Then we got this stinky, morbidly obese man who replaced her. People would spray deodorant around the class when he left and one girl ended up having an asthma attack.

Year 8: My maths teacher told me I was such a bad student she wasn't going to even enter me for the GCSE exams - I got 100% in one paper :cool:

Years 9 &10 - AWFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL physics teacher who hated me because I was bad at physics. She couldn't control the class and she was just god awful at explaining anything, literally had to rely on my dad to help me with physics that year.

Year 12: This is when it gets really bad. I had taken AS Biology. We had the Head of Dept teaching us biology, and she was probably one of the best teachers in that school. Then she went on maternity leave before our June exam. The woman who took over her shouldn't have volunteered for the position. She didn't even have a degree in anything remotely biological and she went to year 11 BTEC lessons rather than our AS lessons. She then had the cheek to turn up to our final lesson before the exam telling us that she knows we all hate her and that she never turns up - god she was awful. Lied to us about being able to repeat our coursework because SHE never turned up so we ran out of time. I hate this woman.

Year 13: I have dropped Biology now, but I'm pretty sure that teacher hasn't turned up for about 5 months because "she's too tired to come into school". Is that a joke? I am tired every bloody day but I come into school! Awful woman hate hate hate hate hate her more than any other teacher in that school.

History teacher - tasked with helping us through our A2 Coursework. What an absolute joke. "We'll have it done by December", roll on Easter and he had not even marked my first draft for one part of the coursework which I had handed in two months before! Cue the 15 of us who were being moderated rushing to get it up to high marks whilst he was grumbling about having to mark our coursework over his honeymoon. Such a joke.

Quick Reply

Latest