The Student Room Group

i want to be a teacher but i'm scared of being bad at it

i'm rlly passionate about the subject i wanna teach, i'd genuinely care about my pupils doing well and i'd like to make an impact on other people's lives but i'm scared i'd do a horrible job at it. whether that be from not being able to control the class, whether my teaching methods suck, yada yada. i'm only 17 and i imagine you'd learn a lot about this during teacher training but idk i still have my doubts. i teach my friends a lot of concepts and they tell me that i'm rlly good at making ppl understand things but again, i'm still doubtful lol. i think of the crappy teachers i've had in the past and i don't wanna be like that
Original post by ghaloasjmnasj
i'm rlly passionate about the subject i wanna teach, i'd genuinely care about my pupils doing well and i'd like to make an impact on other people's lives but i'm scared i'd do a horrible job at it. whether that be from not being able to control the class, whether my teaching methods suck, yada yada. i'm only 17 and i imagine you'd learn a lot about this during teacher training but idk i still have my doubts. i teach my friends a lot of concepts and they tell me that i'm rlly good at making ppl understand things but again, i'm still doubtful lol. i think of the crappy teachers i've had in the past and i don't wanna be like that

Hi @ghaloasjmnasj

It's perfectly okay to have some doubts about what you want to do as it shows you care about teaching and wanting to do a good job. I'm sure you've already got some great skills and the passion for the role, and probably just need some training and practice which you would develop over time - so try not to worry. If teaching is something you're really passionate about, don't let the idea of failing put you off. I'm sure most teachers out there could tell you experiences in their careers where things didn't quite go to plan, but they'll also have some amazing success stories too.

Try not to let yourself get the better of you! It sounds like you're on the right path to get into teaching so try to encourage yourself. Maybe even see if there are any volunteering opportunities near you so you can have a go at directing groups, leading activities, etc. Maybe there could be something over the school holidays?

Best of luck!
Emily 🙂
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 2
You've got at least 4 years to figure it out. And trust me you're going to be a completely different person at the age of 21 than you are now.

In order to become a teacher you'll need as a minimum:

-Grade 4 or above in English and maths (and also science if you choose to teacher primary).
-A Bachelor's degree (with honours) the grade requirements for this will vary per uni.

While those are the only full entry requirements, it is highly recommended you have some working experience in teaching or schools before you get started. It really makes you a more attractive candidate. You can try to secure work experience in schools, or once you're over 18 you can apply to work within schools as a lunch time assi, TA etc to get a feel for what it's like to work in a school.

However, I'd suggest starting your journey first deciding what you want to study at university, from there once you graduate you can decide if you want to pursue teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending