The Student Room Group

I feel like my friend is lying about her domestic abuse

f 18 and f 19

I honestly feel like an ass even starting this forum but I feel like I've spoken to everyone around me about me and they've either been unhelpful or rude to her.

I've become good friends with someone in uni since like october, I used to sit near her in the seminars but we never really spoke due to differences in friend circles and people we both just wanted to avoid. Now, we've both left those circles because of a lot of drama and feuds (you'd assume they're here to study I can't even begin to explain how wrong I was) and we're doing a lot better. We became close probably immediately, and I'd say it's because of trauma dumping forcing us to stick together and it's worked out.

Six months on I have a terrible nagging feeling that a lot of the stories she tells me seem unrealistic or just exaggerated?

One example: "Hey, sorry I'm running late today because my dad threw my PlayStation at my head you go ahead on the train without me." Just to find out later because me and my friends stayed for her that she was waiting on someone else. Even though I'd asked her if her head was bleeding but she said oh yeah I'll be fine. Ok. That's once.

Another: "Hey, I was going to leave early today but I argued with my Dad and he punched me on the sides." I later poke her in the sides like I normally do but there's no reaction.

She overspends on her friends and always talks about how awful her brother and dad are to her but in every interaction I've seen there's never been any tension or forced niceness (not that they couldn't just be good at hiding it) but I'm just a little tired because my replies are always just going to be the same. She's a really nice friend and I'd never confront her about it but it always feels like I'm competing with her on trauma or just bad stories. I tell her some things and she always has something else that's clearly worse happened to her and then acts like she never wanted the attention. I am NOT saying none of it is true. I'm saying it feels unrealistic. Housefire as a baby and was returned into the house by her aunt and therefore can't smell. Touched up by her cousin in year 3. Grandma beating her and ironing her hair straight onto her back with an iron til the curls died (none of her baby pictures had curles, she had the classic dora bob). Being beaten by a stick with nettles by her arabic teacher (in this country?). Her dad constantly beating her for small things like going downstairs to get water at 1am (I would've up and left at this point) and her brother therefore doing the same. Refuses to eat during the day because she's been bullied for her appearance (but with the stories she tells she shouldn't have the stamina to be up day in day out).

Honestly there's so much more but I just really don't know what I should be doing. I was meant to be on a call with her today to play some games like normal but this past week she's been vanishing and now she's saying her dad's turned the internet off despite totally wanting to talk to me and her data is dying but she's still online and I haven't replied. She would refuse to speak to a therapist. She's supposedly been diagnosed with schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, adhd, you name it she has it. She has medication supposedly that she won't take.

I'm just at a loss.
Reply 1
Original post by CuteKoalaXD
f 18 and f 19

I honestly feel like an ass even starting this forum but I feel like I've spoken to everyone around me about me and they've either been unhelpful or rude to her.

I've become good friends with someone in uni since like october, I used to sit near her in the seminars but we never really spoke due to differences in friend circles and people we both just wanted to avoid. Now, we've both left those circles because of a lot of drama and feuds (you'd assume they're here to study I can't even begin to explain how wrong I was) and we're doing a lot better. We became close probably immediately, and I'd say it's because of trauma dumping forcing us to stick together and it's worked out.

Six months on I have a terrible nagging feeling that a lot of the stories she tells me seem unrealistic or just exaggerated?

One example: "Hey, sorry I'm running late today because my dad threw my PlayStation at my head you go ahead on the train without me." Just to find out later because me and my friends stayed for her that she was waiting on someone else. Even though I'd asked her if her head was bleeding but she said oh yeah I'll be fine. Ok. That's once.

Another: "Hey, I was going to leave early today but I argued with my Dad and he punched me on the sides." I later poke her in the sides like I normally do but there's no reaction.

She overspends on her friends and always talks about how awful her brother and dad are to her but in every interaction I've seen there's never been any tension or forced niceness (not that they couldn't just be good at hiding it) but I'm just a little tired because my replies are always just going to be the same. She's a really nice friend and I'd never confront her about it but it always feels like I'm competing with her on trauma or just bad stories. I tell her some things and she always has something else that's clearly worse happened to her and then acts like she never wanted the attention. I am NOT saying none of it is true. I'm saying it feels unrealistic. Housefire as a baby and was returned into the house by her aunt and therefore can't smell. Touched up by her cousin in year 3. Grandma beating her and ironing her hair straight onto her back with an iron til the curls died (none of her baby pictures had curles, she had the classic dora bob). Being beaten by a stick with nettles by her arabic teacher (in this country?). Her dad constantly beating her for small things like going downstairs to get water at 1am (I would've up and left at this point) and her brother therefore doing the same. Refuses to eat during the day because she's been bullied for her appearance (but with the stories she tells she shouldn't have the stamina to be up day in day out).

Honestly there's so much more but I just really don't know what I should be doing. I was meant to be on a call with her today to play some games like normal but this past week she's been vanishing and now she's saying her dad's turned the internet off despite totally wanting to talk to me and her data is dying but she's still online and I haven't replied. She would refuse to speak to a therapist. She's supposedly been diagnosed with schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, adhd, you name it she has it. She has medication supposedly that she won't take.

I'm just at a loss.

That actually really tough. Yeah it seems that it may be unrealistic for you but it can possibily happened to her. If this stressing you out too much then I would advice you to avoid her for awhile so that you can focus on your work and exams. Also, if she have medication that she was meant to take then I would advice you to encourage her to take it.
Original post by CuteKoalaXD
f 18 and f 19

I'm just at a loss.

When there are multiple stories that don’t add up, it doesn’t matter whether any of them are true or not. If it’s causing you stress and unnecessary worry when questioning if she’s telling the truth, avoid her. Tell her your concerns if she asks.

By becoming friends through trauma dumping, it’s likely that after a certain point, there’s little to lead your conversations and you don’t connect as well under the surface. That could be a reason to tell dubious stories from time to time to excuse things that might affect the way you see her and risk damaging your friendship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending