The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got 17 hours?
Reply 101
Incidentally the plasmodesmata are found in the companion cells which lead into the sieve element.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate, why wouldn't the Phloem be at the Top and the xylem on the bottom?
Reply 103
Original post by fishkeep
Mate, why wouldn't the Phloem be at the Top and the xylem on the bottom?

The xylem is at the top of the leaf to reduce levels of transpiration as the stomata are less exposed to light

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cone
The xylem is at the top of the leaf to reduce levels of transpiration as the stomata are less exposed to light

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks, i was thinking of a stem...
Would I get a mark if I said homologous chromosome for the last question? Thanks
Original post by Comeback
I agree now you've explained it, shame but hopefully it won't cost me the A! I've definitely got 40 marks (according to your ms) and then theres some ambiguity about another 5 or so. You sure sound like you're in the running for full UMS (or close to it), fingers crossed!

You'll be fine :smile: Grade boundaries are probably pretty low or average for this paper, and even so it's only 30% of the grade. And I highly doubt it! I buggered up a couple of the 1-markers (position of xylem in midrib grr) and I think I was too vague on some of the descriptions, but I'm hoping for an A. Nobody's told me if fructose is an assimilate in phloem yet...

Original post by Gdegtyareva
Was the DIF.DIF in the slime mould question not an example of communication between cells? It's a signalling molecule right?

I think DIF would also get the marks, yes.

Original post by bellend1
Does anyone remember what the asexual reproduction question was for the Grex?

I put budding as my answer but everyone else has put mitosis.

It's mitosis. Budding is just for yeast...

Original post by PensiveChicken
I thought budding was just yeast? I put binary fission; not sure if I got the marks on that one...

...and binary fission is just for bacteria. Plus I think they said 'kind of cell division'.

Original post by Joseph.S
I got 17 hours?

You are correct.
Original post by coffeebean1
Would I get a mark if I said homologous chromosome for the last question? Thanks

Ambiguous. Depends on how bitchy the OCR mark scheme is feeling. They might insist on the plural. Still, you've got the key word in there, so you've got a shot.
Original post by paradoxicalme
Ambiguous. Depends on how bitchy the OCR mark scheme is feeling. They might insist on the plural. Still, you've got the key word in there, so you've got a shot.

Thanks, hopefully I get a nice examiner

It's mitosis. Budding is just for yeast...

Shame.

Apparantly the way to work out raw mark boundary for full UMS is to find the difference between the boundary for an A and the boundary for a B, double it and add it to the boundary for an A. In that case, assuming standard grade boundaries, hopefully full UMS (which I'm shooting for) comes out to around 55 raw marks. You might want to add that information to the OP.
(edited 9 years ago)
If I said air moves into the bell jar down the concentration gradient rather than pressure gradient will that still get the marks?
So, I have 32/40 in the ISA and here I think I got 48/60.

What do you guys think the grade boundary for this paper will be???
Instead of homologous pair, I put sister chromatids, I assume that's wrong?
Reply 113
It's debatable. Some say no, some say there is evidence that they do. It seems like one of those that the mark scheme would accept, because of the ambiguity, but centrioles is a much safer choice.

I don't understand the pressure differences for the balloon? I think I said there is a higher pressure in the surrounding air in the jar and it will move down the pressure gradient where it's low pressure in the balloon. (Because the thorax drops to below atmospheric pressure and the volume increases during inspiration)
Well its reassuring to see I got the same for the most part. I think for the assimilates question (you said amino acids definitely), they won't allow glucose/maltose/fructose. The main sugar transported is sucrose, and what I've seen from mark schemes is that they will credit "sugars" but often "ignore" other specific examples like that.
Original post by joejoejoejoe
So, I have 32/40 in the ISA and here I think I got 48/60.

What do you guys think the grade boundary for this paper will be???

I reckon it'll be higher than past ones, because I think it was quite easy. I reckon 45/46 for an A?
Original post by amazopurpleducks
I reckon it'll be higher than past ones, because I think it was quite easy. I reckon 45/46 for an A?

So do you think with those two scores, all I need is an A in unit 2 and I will have an A overall???
Reply 117
Original post by bellend1
Does anyone remember what the asexual reproduction question was for the Grex?

I put budding as my answer but everyone else has put mitosis.

I also but budding. I'm not entirely sure but it was a single celled organism that reproduced asexually. As it was an apply your knowledge question rather than an organism like yeast that we had studied, I don't believe there was enough evidence to definitively prove the answer wasn't budding so my guess is that there might be an 'ACCEPT budding' mark on the right of the mark scheme.
I think I put Apoplast instead of Apoplast Pathway , but I think the question stated which pathway so do you think I will still get the mark ? And same with homologous I didn't put pair.
Original post by Marcooo96
I think I put Apoplast instead of Apoplast Pathway , but I think the question stated which pathway so do you think I will still get the mark ? And same with homologous I didn't put pair.

You will get both marks for that I would imagine

Latest