The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inexorably
In certain aspects I do yes and I do support <some> of the things that Margaret Thatcher did for this country, however I don't support the current Conservative party for as long as Michael Gove continues to **** up the education system.

Are you afraid that without grade inflation you wouldn't be able to get As and A*s to make yourself feel smart?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a chav. Take a wild guess.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Are you afraid that without grade inflation you wouldn't be able to get As and A*s to make yourself feel smart?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completed my GCSEs in 2012 (and my AS Levels in 2013 before you go down that route), but nice try buddy.

No I did not obtain loads of As and A*s and that doesn't worry me as I have a job right now and I'm coping fine with it - what bothers me is nothing to do with the grade inflation, moreso... the future axing of works by non-British authors, the pre-20th century ONLY attitude that the English Literature curriculum is now stuck in, the constant slashing of the education budget, the ridiculous notion that school days should be longer because suddenly every child has a world class attention span, his narrow minded view on vocational subjects, the absolute failure of "Free Schools" in contrast to state schools, the scrapping of school renovation programmes and need I mention the military-style 'correction' certain bad pupils could be given.

I understand in tough economic times that cuts simply have to be made, but Michael Gove (the absolute abomination in Britain) has hung, drawn and quartered the education system so far beyond repair. He deserves to go down as the worst education minister ever. Never have I seen such a self centred, idiotic hypocrite.
(edited 9 years ago)
I completed my GCSEs in 2012 (and my AS Levels in 2013 before you go down that route), but nice try buddy.

Do you think grade inflation is something new this year? It's been around since the 90s and, actually, under this government it has started to be reversed (rates were highest in 2011). A Durham university study has an A grade now equating to a C grade in the 80s. One eighth of A level students get three or more A grades at A-level now, in 1982 one eighth would be getting at least one A. At 2009 rates of grade inflation, by 2018 nobody would fail an A level and one third would get A grades. For the record, A grade includes A*
The stats for GCSE show that, since the turn of the century, the proportion of people getting 4 or more GCSEs at C or higher has increased by 30%, while several studies have shown a decrease in ability in literacy, numeracy and science of about 6% in the same time.
It really grips me when people slate Maggie Thatcher because she 'made my grandfather lose his job' or 'destroyed mining communities'.

It's about time people started looking at the bigger picture. Our country was in serious economic decline. The cuts she made were tough but completely necessary in ensuring Britain remained a first world country.

Conservative through and through, and I'm from a very working-class background.
Original post by danny9253
It really grips me when people slate Maggie Thatcher because she 'made my grandfather lose his job' or 'destroyed mining communities'.

It's about time people started looking at the bigger picture. Our country was in serious economic decline. The cuts she made were tough but completely necessary in ensuring Britain remained a first world country.

Conservative through and through, and I'm from a very working-class background.

Although I don't identify as conservative, I do agree with what you've said and I always get a bit angry at people who don't realise that any type of business making substantial lost shouldn't A) Be nationalised for starters or B) Even exist.

It seems the north especially seem to be particularly gripped by the history of Maggie and the miners, hence labours huge success up there.

I also wonder how many of these supposed grandfathers actually worked in a mine shut down by the previous labour government as opposed to the conservatives :tongue:

Original post by Jammy Duel
Do you think grade inflation is something new this year? It's been around since the 90s and, actually, under this government it has started to be reversed (rates were highest in 2011). A Durham university study has an A grade now equating to a C grade in the 80s. One eighth of A level students get three or more A grades at A-level now, in 1982 one eighth would be getting at least one A. At 2009 rates of grade inflation, by 2018 nobody would fail an A level and one third would get A grades. For the record, A grade includes A*
The stats for GCSE show that, since the turn of the century, the proportion of people getting 4 or more GCSEs at C or higher has increased by 30%, while several studies have shown a decrease in ability in literacy, numeracy and science of about 6% in the same time.

My comment was aimed at the fact you assumed I was completing my GCSEs this year, not because I thought grade inflation had magically appeared the last 2 years smh? Also congrats for ignoring every other downside to the crap that is Michael Gove.
My comment was aimed at the fact you assumed I was completing my GCSEs this year, not because I thought grade inflation had magically appeared the last 2 years smh? Also congrats for ignoring every other downside to the crap that is Michael Gove.

Because good politicians only make good/popular policies(!).
At no point was it stated, or even implied, that you're doing GCSEs, and even having done them already they are still affected by grade inflation.
I am not old enough to vote but if I could I would 100% vote for the Tories!

I feel the people that work hard should be rewarded not punished and feel that people
that simply say 'Tax the rich' are some of the most idiotic people around, however I also
feel that voting UKIP is as bad as voting for Labour, maybe even worse.

I can't believe in 2014 that people still think it is a good idea to start moving to the extremes
of the political spectrum, It does NO good and there are some pretty god examples of this!
I lean towards the Conservative party.

As mentioned, most people our age vote for left-wing parties because it is the status quo and taboo to not do so. Not only that, it appeals more to them because left-wing politics seems more virtuous yet most of them I find do not know anything about history or politics when asked. They just say, "...coz like, he totallyyyyyyy like sounds like Hitlerrrrrrr"
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
I lean towards the Conservative party.

As mentioned, most people our age vote for left-wing parties because it is the status quo and taboo to not do so. Not only that, it appeals more to them because left-wing politics seems more virtuous yet most of them I find do not know anything about history or politics when asked. They just say, "...coz like, he totallyyyyyyy like sounds like Hitlerrrrrrr"

Please don't bump old threads. Thread reported to the Community Team for locking.
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Please don't bump old threads. Thread reported to the Community Team for locking.

My mistake. I did not see the dates. It came up at the bottom under other relative threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending