The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Nottingham or Exeter?

Hello, I am writing to see if anyone can help me with this decision of choosing between university of Exeter or Nottingham. Both are really good unis and I will be studying Geography BA and both grades are AAB- which is what i'm predicted. Both my brothers went to Exeter, one to also study geography and they both loved it. I have also visited many times and so I know what to expect, and it feels like a lovely place to live for 3 years, my only concern is the 'tory' stereotype which I most certainly do not fit into, im just from the south east. And also nightlife apparently isn't too good. Needless to say I've never been in a club before (17). But it is by the sea which is a big pro. Nottingham feels exciting when I visited, it also has a good night life and the campus is beautiful and the course is very good. However I did feel slightly unsafe when visiting due to the amount of police about (who also blocked the entrance to the resturant we were in). Both uni courses are great, so please help me out with your experiences and views! - Thanks!!!!
(edited 2 months ago)
Did you apply to the main campus for Exeter or the Cornwall campus? Very different atmosphere at each.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Did you apply to the main campus for Exeter or the Cornwall campus? Very different atmosphere at each.

main exeter campus - streatham

Thanks!

Reply 3
Not entirely seriously, but if you are from the South East, have two brothers who both went to Exeter, you want to read Geography and like to be by the sea.....in what sense are you not of the Tory stereotype?

It's going to boil down to one thing - the trade-off between personal safety and wild nightlife. If you want to go out until 5am any night of the week, then go to Nottingham. If you don't want to live in the wild west, go to Exeter.

The Tory thing is meaningless. There's nothing more middle class and ridiculous than saying you're not middle class and ridiculous and doing a few alternative things, pretending that you're really working class but really you feel a sense of calm and comfort when you see a Waitrose.
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
Not entirely seriously, but if you are from the South East, have two brothers who both went to Exeter, you want to read Geography and like to be by the sea.....in what sense are you not of the Tory stereotype?

It's going to boil down to one thing - the trade-off between personal safety and wild nightlife. If you want to go out until 5am any night of the week, then go to Nottingham. If you don't want to live in the wild west, go to Exeter.

The Tory thing is meaningless. There's nothing more middle class and ridiculous than saying you're not middle class and ridiculous and doing a few alternative things, pretending that you're really working class but really you feel a sense of calm and comfort when you see a Waitrose.

Thanks for your insight but I must inform you that a 'tory' is an individual who is in support of the conservative party. I however am not. No need to call me ridiculous, I didn't ask your opinion on my political label.
Original post by Rat101!
Hello, I am writing to see if anyone can help me with this decision of choosing between university of Exeter or Nottingham. Both are really good unis and I will be studying Geography BA and both grades are AAB- which is what i'm predicted. Both my brothers went to Exeter, one to also study geography and they both loved it. I have also visited many times and so I know what to expect, and it feels like a lovely place to live for 3 years, my only concern is the 'tory' stereotype which I most certainly do not fit into, im just from the south east. And also nightlife apparently isn't too good. Needless to say I've never been in a club before (17). But it is by the sea which is a big pro. Nottingham feels exciting when I visited, it also has a good night life and the campus is beautiful and the course is very good. However I did feel slightly unsafe when visiting due to the amount of police about (who also blocked the entrance to the resturant we were in). Both uni courses are great, so please help me out with your experiences and views! - Thanks!!!!

Hi there @Rat101!,

It's great to hear you are interested in the University of Exeter! It sounds like you already have a pretty good understanding of the university and the surrounding area, but hopefully I can offer a little extra insight!

First, I wouldn't let any perceptions or stereotypes about the university impact your decision! I can say with confidence that students at Exeter come from a range of different backgrounds. As with any university, there are always crowds that tend to stick together, but in my experience, as long as you put yourself out there, you will have no problem meeting some really lovely people! In fact, during my four years here, I have had no problem with any of the students in my seminars nor any of the societies I have been a part of. On the whole, I would say the student community is really friendly and welcoming!

The nightlife in Exeter is definitely smaller than that in Nottingham. However, I haven't found this to be a problem at all! There are about 4 clubs to choose from on a night out, and I can honestly say as long as you are with the right people, it's always a good time! I would also add that I always feel safe when going out, which was something that was really important to me! In addition to clubs, there are plenty of pubs, restaurants and bars to choose from too. When you're with good friends, it doesn't tend to matter where you end up!

If you're still struggling to make a decision - maybe take a closer look at the course you will be studying. These usually vary slightly from university to university, so take a look assessment types, contact hours, placement opportunities, fieldwork, modules on offer, etc. You may find that one course suits you better than the other!

On a personal note, I have really enjoyed my time here! I've made some great friends, the teaching quality is excellent, and staff are always on hand to help with any concerns! We also have a really great Careers Team - as you get closer to graduation, they're happy to help with everything from CV writing, interview practice, finding job opportunities and placements, etc.

I hope this has helped! Please feel free to get in contact with any other questions you might have. Best of luck with your decision!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by Rat101!

Nottingham.

(Thank me later).
Reply 7
exeter
Original post by Rat101!

I was in the same position as you choosing between nots and Exeter for geogrpahy. Im from the north so i was expecting most people would be 'tory' at exeter. Anyway went with exeter and, now in first year and very happy with my choice. You do get a lot of posh people, but they wont mind if you take the **** out of them. The nightlife is actually really good in exeter and i actually prefer it to places like newcastle as, on nights out you can always meet people you know and always have a good time. There are a lot of clubs and they get lots of good DJ's in sick venues like the nightclub move, which hosts raves every so often. I chose exeter over nots initially because i liked the sports facilities and campus as well as being near the sea. The only problem i found with exeter after moving is how expensive second year houses are. However that shouldn't be a deal breaker. Also my flatmate said nots is not actually that good for nightlife and prefered exeter
Reply 9
Original post by harrybellis
I was in the same position as you choosing between nots and Exeter for geogrpahy. Im from the north so i was expecting most people would be 'tory' at exeter. Anyway went with exeter and, now in first year and very happy with my choice. You do get a lot of posh people, but they wont mind if you take the **** out of them. The nightlife is actually really good in exeter and i actually prefer it to places like newcastle as, on nights out you can always meet people you know and always have a good time. There are a lot of clubs and they get lots of good DJ's in sick venues like the nightclub move, which hosts raves every so often. I chose exeter over nots initially because i liked the sports facilities and campus as well as being near the sea. The only problem i found with exeter after moving is how expensive second year houses are. However that shouldn't be a deal breaker. Also my flatmate said nots is not actually that good for nightlife and prefered exeter

thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending