The Student Room Group

M1 OCR (Not MEI) Exam - 12/06/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MsFahima
Hey.. I've literally just explained that above. :lol: You can have a look! :wink:

Oh sorry! Didnt see!
Still don't understand it though, i didn't think weight was a contact force? And also doesnt R act perpendicular to the plane?
This is what I did...
1402504893704.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it should be drawn from head to tail (not starting from the same point). You have calculated something else. This makes it clear :biggrin:

Reply 62
Original post by RoyalBlue7
No it should be drawn from head to tail (not starting from the same point). You have calculated something else. This makes it clear :biggrin:

Ohh.. But how can it be x+y.. aren't those corresponding angles.. and be the same? :s-smilie:

thanks, but in the solutions the answers are 0.49 and 0.849
and I cant seem to follow what you're doing

You draw up a vector diagram like this one.

To find the angle you should use the sine rule. There are two unknown angles - give one in terms of the other and solve them

To find the magnitude of the resultant force simply use the cosine rule. It's simple if you know basic trigonometry :smile:

Alternatively you could resolve the forces into their perpendicular components and using Pythagoras find the magnitude of the resultant. Then using tan ratio the angle needed could be found

thank you!!!
can anyone explain why on question 3 part iii they minus the 40 from 360 degrees to find the bearing.
Any tips for working out the bearing of the resultant??
Reply 66
Original post by amirarshad
thanks, but in the solutions the answers are 0.49 and 0.849
and I cant seem to follow what you're doing

I'll have a look again.. :redface:
Ohh.. But how can it be x+y.. aren't those corresponding angles.. and be the same? :s-smilie:

If you look at your diagram how do you know if it's going one way or the other? Like is the resultant acting from the head of the 7N force to the head of the 5N force or the other way?

Well when you're drawing a vector diagram for two forces it becomes a parallelogram. The rule is that the head of the first force should be the tail of the second force and carrying on. It's the vector addition law.

Reply 68
If you look at your diagram how do you know if it's going one way or the other? Like is the resultant acting from the head of the 7N force to the head of the 5N force or the other way?

Well when you're drawing a vector diagram for two forces it becomes a parallelogram. The rule is that the head of the first force should be the tail of the second force and carrying on. It's the vector addition law.

Okay.. i'll check again. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 69
can anyone explain why on question 3 part iii they minus the 40 from 360 degrees to find the bearing.
Any tips for working out the bearing of the resultant??

Which exam paper?

Bearing is always three digits..
oh sorry thought I sent the link , June 2010
how did they work out the bearing to be 320?
Reply 71
what is the difference between limiting equilibrium and limiting friction?
Reply 72
oh sorry thought I sent the link , June 2010
how did they work out the bearing to be 320?

Can you show what you have worked out?
Original post by Chenice

Limiting friction is the constant of friction times by the normal contact force. This can have a maximum value, for example, 10N. When a 10N horizontal force is applied to the object, the 10N friction will counteract it exactly. This is called limiting equilibrium, as applying any more force will move the object.
Reply 74
Original post by Chenice

Limiting equilibrium.. is that the particle/object is JUST about to move

Limiting friction is the max possible value of friction on the object/particle..

If the friction is limiting, but the object is still stationary, the object will be in limiting equilibrium..
Reply 75
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/63190-question-paper-unit-4728-01-mechanics-1.pdf

question 2) i) about momentum i done
(0.4x3)+(-1.5x0.6) = (-0.1x0.4) + (-0.6v)
and i get 0.567 as v

However...in the markscheme it has 0.433 as v
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61377-mark-scheme-unit-4728-mechanics-1-june.pdf

And ive figured out you get that if you make the RHS values both positive, but in the mark scheme all it said is that they should have the same sign!? How am I meant to know whether to make them negative or positive?
Reply 76
Limiting equilibrium.. is that the particle/object is JUST about to move

Limiting friction is the max possible value of friction on the object/particle..

If the friction is limiting, but the object is still stationary, the object will be in limiting equilibrium..

Thanks!
Reply 77
Original post by Chenice

question 2) i) about momentum i done
(0.4x3)+(-1.5x0.6) = (-0.1x0.4) + (-0.6v)
and i get 0.567 as v

However...in the markscheme it has 0.433 as v
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61377-mark-scheme-unit-4728-mechanics-1-june.pdf

And ive figured out you get that if you make the RHS values both positive, but in the mark scheme all it said is that they should have the same sign!? How am I meant to know whether to make them negative or positive?

Did you consider the direction?
Reply 78
Can someone help me out with 7(iii) June 2010
Thanks in advance!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Did you consider the direction?

It just says they go in the same direction, how do i know what direction they go in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending