The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Review on Nottingham 1: NEVER choose this accommodation

I'm an international sociology student at NTU, and I'm currently living in Nottingham 1. The reason I ended up living here, is because I was too late to look for a place last year, and I found an en-suite bedroom in Nottingham 1 for less than £100, so I took the offer and moved in this year, but I totally regret it. Since I have a tough time living at Nottingham 1, I decided to write a review about why you shouldn't choose this accommodation.

1. Name confusion
The place used to call Opal 1, and it changed to Nottingham 1 before I moved in. It's not really a big deal, but it confused my family and friends when I told them where I live, because there are two Nottingham 1 in Nottingham, and a taxi driver even took me to the wrong place once. I don't know why they changed their name. Is Nottingham 1 sounds more cool?

2. Unstable postcode
After I moved in, I've seen at least 3 different postcodes. I don't know much about postcodes, are they always change? Or a place can have more than one postcode? Anyway, when I went to update my address for bank account and school doctor early this year, the staff told me they couldn't find anything from the postcode I provided, or it led them to another place, but this is the postcode listed on the official site! Also, when my friends wanted to post me some cards and asked me for the postcode, I didn't know which one I should give them, because sometimes the postcode works, but sometimes it doesn't.

3. Security crisis
It's true that the place is surrounded by gates, but some of the gates open all the time, so the gate system is completely worthless. Also, about a month after I moved in, my electronic key has stopped working, so I wasn't allowed to enter the gate or doors of my block. I went to the reception for help, and the staff told me my key was too new for the gate and door system, but they promised to fix the doors and gate soon. Instead of providing me a temporary key, they decided to unlock all the gates and doors I might use. What a smart idea. Eventually, they took 2-3 months to fix a gate and several doors, which means in these months anyone could enter the building.

4. Rude staff
After I reported my electronic key has stopped working, a staff asked me what doors I used frequently, so he could unlock the doors for me. I told him I always use the side door, which leads to the parking lot and garbage bins, but he judged me and said "do you drive?!" impatiently. As a result, he refused to unlock the side door. Then why did you ask me in the first place? Of course I got my reason to use the side door! Is the side door only built for drivers and others couldn't use it? What a rude staff!

5. Dirty environment
The reason I prefer not to use the front door, is because it leads to the main path, which is located next to a river. There's countless flies around the whole path from the dirty river, which makes me feel uncomfortable while walking. Especially at night, when the street lamps light up, you can see uncountable flies flying in front of your eyes, and sometimes they hit you on the face. So, that's why I prefer to use the side door, which leads to another path with less flies.

6. Cheap appliances
I believed the kettle provided in the kitchen was new when I moved in, and it seemed new either. However, after using for several times, the kettle became very rusty. After I boiled water, I could see the rusts flowing around. Who wants to drink rusty water? I reported the matter to the reception, and the staff were like "Okay, we got it", but actually they didn't follow up. Finally, the issue was solved when my flatmates broke the kettle months later, but another problem rose.

7. Annoying flatmates
I got two male flatmates, and they knew each other for ages. For god sake! I've never seen such horrible person like them! They were noisy as hell, and dirty as sh*t. They can going in and out from their rooms 30 times in a minute! Opening and closing doors creates so much noise, especially when they do that at 4 in the morning! Every night, when they want to talk to each other, they will knock the wall, and shout whatever they want to say. Sometimes, they even arguing through the wall. Furthermore, the kitchen is basically controlled by my flatmates, because they always invite their friends to come and have parties, so I don't have much chance to use it. Well, every time after their party was over, the whole kitchen turned extremely dirty, but they would never clean up their mess. They even asked me to clean the kitchen, because according to them I'm "part of the flat", but of course I told them "no problem" and did nothing.

As I mentioned above, my flatmates had broke the rusty kettle, so they bought a new one. However, they kept the new kettle in their rooms as their own stuff, and told me I couldn't use it because they were the one who bought it. Therefore, I went to the reception AGAIN, and filed a complaint. I reported the issue to the staff, as well as the dirtiness they made in the kitchen, and the fact that they smoke which made the whole flat smelly. Surprisingly, instead of charging my flatmates, the staff offered me another flat, and asked me to move out. What the hell?!

There's a dumb staff who promised me that he would never tell my flatmates I complained them, but he then told them "someone" had complained you two. Since there's only 3 people living in the flat, and the complaint was against the 2 of them, wasn't it clear that I was the one who made the complaint? After my flatmates knew that I complained them, they threatened me I should better move out. Well, I decided to stay, so I guess I can only blame myself.

8. Terrible arrangement
I got 2 flatmates, which means there's only 3 person living in the flat, but the flat had 5 rooms, so why the staff arranged us to live in rooms in a row? Their bad arrangement had made me suffered from the noise created by my flatmates, and it would be better if they let me to live in Room A, while my flatmates lived in Room D and E. Beside this, the staff had arranged me to live in the last block, which is far from the reception, supermarket, restaurants and bus stops. I need to take 5-8 minutes walk from my flat to ANYTHING, and it becomes a nightmare when it's raining heavily.

9. Dangerous society
There's local kids hanging around near the accommodation area, and I've seen them throwing rocks toward random pedestrians. Also, sometimes those kids ask for money, and people fell for it. I don't know how dangerous these people are, but I think it's better to avoid them.

10. Bad location
It's close to University of Nottingham, but very far from NTU. I think this place is better for students from University of Nottingham, so I don't recommend any mates from NTU to try it. Also, I've spent half of my money on taking buses and taxis to the city, so unless you don't have other choice, it's really a bad idea to consider this place.

To be fair, these issues may not necessarily happen in Nottingham 1 only, and they may happen in every halls around the world, but this is what I've been going through, so I hope it makes you think deeper if you are considering to live in this accommodation next year. :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks a lot for posting this.I wanted to ask you that NTU is very great?I am confused between it.
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Parshurti
Thanks a lot for posting this.I wanted to ask you that NTU is very great?I am confused between it.

Well, NTU is not a famous uni, but I found it acceptable. Since I've never been to other unis and study, it's unfair to say NTU is better than others. However, if you like freedom and flexible, NTU is a great place. :smile:
Reply 3
Hey! Thanks for the warning, I am planning on studying at NTU next year and Nottingham 1 was one of the accommodation that I'm thinking of looking at. Don't fancy it now lol. Do you know about the other halls/what are they like?
I am a third year student that came here for peace of mind for my final year. The former OPAL went into administration so they no longer run the building. Personally I prefer the name Nottingham 1 it goes better with the building.

I know that each block has a different postcode, but if you are ordering parcels put NG7 3EH as the postcode so the reception can sign for it.

The staff have always been friendly and polite, even when I lost my fob and needed letting back into my flat.
Nottingham 1 is located next to a river. My room over looks it and it is a beautiful view. I always use the path that leads to my block and I have never had problems with flies.

Unlike other student accommodation I did not have to pay for my toaster, kettle, microwave, vacuum cleaner etc. It is great value and saved me A LOT of money. When I have any issues with things the maintenance staff have always fixed the problem or replaced it.

As with all accommodations if you do not book within a group you take the risk of living with people you may not get on with. I know first-hand, I reported it to the reception staff and a meeting was called with my flat mates and staff. Since this meeting there has not been anymore issues and I actually get on with my flat mates now.

Yes there are local kids that you see sometime. I have never had an issue with them and I’m sure if you did the security staff that are on site 24/7 will sort the issue out.

I am a 3rd year NTU student and it takes me 6 mins by bus to get to uni. When the weather is nice I like to walk and that takes me about 25-30 mins. I share with 4 students from Uni of Notts and it takes them 3 minutes to walk to Jubilee Campus. To be fair, although there are a few NTU students here, it is more a hall for UoN as it is so convenient.

In short I thoroughly enjoy living at Nottingham 1 and wish I knew about this place when I was a fresher. I would hands down recommend this place to anyone who wants to enjoy their student experience. I can’t fault them, Nottingham 1 has become my home from home.

Original post by Leyenia530
I'
m an international sociology student at NTU, and I'm currently living in Nottingham 1. The reason I ended up living here, is because I was too late to look for a place last year, and I found an en-suite bedroom in Nottingham 1 for less than £100, so I took the offer and moved in this year, but I totally regret it. Since I have a tough time living at Nottingham 1, I decided to write a review about why you shouldn't choose this accommodation.

1. Name confusion
The place used to call Opal 1, and it changed to Nottingham 1 before I moved in. It's not really a big deal, but it confused my family and friends when I told them where I live, because there are two Nottingham 1 in Nottingham, and a taxi driver even took me to the wrong place once. I don't know why they changed their name. Is Nottingham 1 sounds more cool?

2. Unstable postcode
After I moved in, I've seen at least 3 different postcodes. I don't know much about postcodes, are they always change? Or a place can have more than one postcode? Anyway, when I went to update my address for bank account and school doctor early this year, the staff told me they couldn't find anything from the postcode I provided, or it led them to another place, but this is the postcode listed on the official site! Also, when my friends wanted to post me some cards and asked me for the postcode, I didn't know which one I should give them, because sometimes the postcode works, but sometimes it doesn't.

3. Security crisis
It's true that the place is surrounded by gates, but some of the gates open all the time, so the gate system is completely worthless. Also, about a month after I moved in, my electronic key has stopped working, so I wasn't allowed to enter the gate or doors of my block. I went to the reception for help, and the staff told me my key was too new for the gate and door system, but they promised to fix the doors and gate soon. Instead of providing me a temporary key, they decided to unlock all the gates and doors I might use. What a smart idea. Eventually, they took 2-3 months to fix a gate and several doors, which means in these months anyone could enter the building.

4. Rude staff
After I reported my electronic key has stopped working, a staff asked me what doors I used frequently, so he could unlock the doors for me. I told him I always use the side door, which leads to the parking lot and garbage bins, but he judged me and said "do you drive?!" impatiently. As a result, he refused to unlock the side door. Then why did you ask me in the first place? Of course I got my reason to use the side door! Is the side door only built for drivers and others couldn't use it? What a rude staff!

5. Dirty environment
The reason I prefer not to use the front door, is because it leads to the main path, which is located next to a river. There's countless flies around the whole path from the dirty river, which makes me feel uncomfortable while walking. Especially at night, when the street lamps light up, you can see uncountable flies flying in front of your eyes, and sometimes they hit you on the face. So, that's why I prefer to use the side door, which leads to another path with less flies.

6. Cheap appliances
I believed the kettle provided in the kitchen was new when I moved in, and it seemed new either. However, after using for several times, the kettle became very rusty. After I boiled water, I could see the rusts flowing around. Who wants to drink rusty water? I reported the matter to the reception, and the staff were like "Okay, we got it", but actually they didn't follow up. Finally, the issue was solved when my flatmates broke the kettle months later, but another problem rose.

7. Annoying flatmates
I got two male flatmates, and they knew each other for ages. For god sake! I've never seen such horrible person like them! They were noisy as hell, and dirty as sh*t. They can going in and out from their rooms 30 times in a minute! Opening and closing doors creates so much noise, especially when they do that at 4 in the morning! Every night, when they want to talk to each other, they will knock the wall, and shout whatever they want to say. Sometimes, they even arguing through the wall. Furthermore, the kitchen is basically controlled by my flatmates, because they always invite their friends to come and have parties, so I don't have much chance to use it. Well, every time after their party was over, the whole kitchen turned extremely dirty, but they would never clean up their mess. They even asked me to clean the kitchen, because according to them I'm "part of the flat", but of course I told them "no problem" and did nothing.

As I mentioned above, my flatmates had broke the rusty kettle, so they bought a new one. However, they kept the new kettle in their rooms as their own stuff, and told me I couldn't use it because they were the one who bought it. Therefore, I went to the reception AGAIN, and filed a complaint. I reported the issue to the staff, as well as the dirtiness they made in the kitchen, and the fact that they smoke which made the whole flat smelly. Surprisingly, instead of charging my flatmates, the staff offered me another flat, and asked me to move out. What the hell?!

There's a dumb staff who promised me that he would never tell my flatmates I complained them, but he then told them "someone" had complained you two. Since there's only 3 people living in the flat, and the complaint was against the 2 of them, wasn't it clear that I was the one who made the complaint? After my flatmates knew that I complained them, they threatened me I should better move out. Well, I decided to stay, so I guess I can only blame myself.

8. Terrible arrangement
I got 2 flatmates, which means there's only 3 person living in the flat, but the flat had 5 rooms, so why the staff arranged us to live in rooms in a row? Their bad arrangement had made me suffered from the noise created by my flatmates, and it would be better if they let me to live in Room A, while my flatmates lived in Room D and E. Beside this, the staff had arranged me to live in the last block, which is far from the reception, supermarket, restaurants and bus stops. I need to take 5-8 minutes walk from my flat to ANYTHING, and it becomes a nightmare when it's raining heavily.

9. Dangerous society
There's local kids hanging around near the accommodation area, and I've seen them throwing rocks toward random pedestrians. Also, sometimes those kids ask for money, and people fell for it. I don't know how dangerous these people are, but I think it's better to avoid them.

10. Bad location
It's close to University of Nottingham, but very far from NTU. I think this place is better for students from University of Nottingham, so I don't recommend any mates from NTU to try it. Also, I've spent half of my money on taking buses and taxis to the city, so unless you don't have other choice, it's really a bad idea to consider this place.

To be fair, these issues may not necessarily happen in Nottingham 1 only, and they may happen in every halls around the world, but this is what I've been going through, so I hope it makes you think deeper if you are considering to live in this accommodation next year. :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
why do my posts keep getting removed. people need to know that management at nottingham 1 just want to take your money and treat you like crap. i have seen loads of reviews removed for some reason. THERES TO MUCH TO SAY ABOUT THIS PLACE JUST AVOID IF YOU CAN THERE ARE BETTER PLACES OUT THERE.
If you want them to keep your deposit have metals bits from the kettle in your tea stay here. I had to live with a blocked drain for nearly a year. The staff at night keep changing the old team was good but now the staff dont know what day it is when working at night. The staff at night keep disappearing in the back of the reception then suddenly appear again after 2 hours. I had to wait that long to be let in my room i had to stay at my friends room all that time. Funny thing is the security guard at night was angry because i asked him to let me in my room which i paid for. Some how my posts keep getting deleted people need to know the truth just avoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about taking accommodation here but reading these comments are so helpful!
My sister was gonna book this for her second year thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by RiotGirll
My sister was gonna book this for her second year thanks :smile:

Same- I was thinking this place for next year but I guess accomondation at the university is better.
A lot of these things are generic things or things that have been blown out of proportion. Some are the same issue reworded in slightly different ways. Before making decisions, look at your options and make decisions. I've stayed in three different sets of halls including one in Nottingham and the issues are pretty much the same across all.
Reply 11
Original post by ruchitax
Same- I was thinking this place for next year but I guess accomondation at the university is better.

Hello
I'm handing over my room early start next year. send me a private msg if you're interested
Reply 12
The walls are very thin so it is very difficult to sleep at night as you constantly hear noise from room mates and the accommodation itself is very expensive compared to neighbouring student accommodations When I moved in, my housemates and I had to report many of the items in the kitchen because they were broken or not working well, as a result, they had to replace the items. However, the rooms are very generous in size, very spacious, 3/4 bed and ensuites are nice. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this accommodation.
Totally agree with you. Our daughter is having a bad experience with management. She was assured of a room but on the day of checking in found it wasn't what she had asked for. No one was interested and basically she has been told by a senior manager 'like it or lump it'. it is way too late to start looking for another lace at the start of a year.
Original post by debbierhyan
Totally agree with you. Our daughter is having a bad experience with management. She was assured of a room but on the day of checking in found it wasn't what she had asked for. No one was interested and basically she has been told by a senior manager 'like it or lump it'. it is way too late to start looking for another lace at the start of a year.

I've seen some people on Facebook giving up their rooms. the university has a guarantee policy for all first year students to receive accommodation whether its by them or through private i'd give the ntu accommodation team a call +44 (0)115 848 2894

some private accommodation most first years are staying in are
- glasshouse
- trinity square
- goldsmith court

hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending