The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 revision thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkhan9035
Yeah it's always good to showcase your knowledge as widely as possible but you would't be penalised for using just AS studies or just A2 studies :smile:

Hey just wondering if you have a model answer for developmental approach?
Reply 181
Original post by DoctorWhat?
I need 180!

for an A? coz if u get 180 thats an A* u knw
Original post by random1234567
Hey just wondering if you have a model answer for developmental approach?

It's not likely to come up so you may as well just leave it out?

I'm revising (for section B) individual differences, psychodynamic, behaviourist, validity, determinism vs. Free will, reductionism vs. Holism, ethnocentrism, observations and correlations.

Then for usefulness of psychological research I'm leaving that out and psychology as a science (hopefully they're not going to ask about these because they're quite awkward to explain). :smile:
Reply 183
Yeah this was the only thing i managed to find on my computer. It was a revision powerpoint my teacher put up for us, which breaks down section B, it was useful for me, so hopefully it'll help you all too.

hey man thanks for ur help. ur notes have been really useful since i havnt prepared for this exam asmuch.

and can u tell me how much i need to know on the types of data nominal interval and things like tht and the different tests i am really confused about tht.
Original post by socially inept
It's not likely to come up so you may as well just leave it out?

I'm revising (for section B) individual differences, psychodynamic, behaviourist, validity, determinism vs. Free will, reductionism vs. Holism, ethnocentrism, observations and correlations.

Then for usefulness of psychological research I'm leaving that out and psychology as a science (hopefully they're not going to ask about these because they're quite awkward to explain). :smile:

Are you sure lol, behaviourist just came up in june
Reply 185
Has anybody got any short summaries of the AS studies? The second question in section B always loses me marks because I can't actually remember much of the year 12 studies lol.
Original post by rohan11
hey man thanks for ur help. ur notes have been really useful since i havnt prepared for this exam asmuch.

and can u tell me how much i need to know on the types of data nominal interval and things like tht and the different tests i am really confused about tht.

This word document I have should help you.
Original post by ttreb
Has anybody got any short summaries of the AS studies? The second question in section B always loses me marks because I can't actually remember much of the year 12 studies lol.

It shouldn't be too difficult to do, if you follow the AMPRC method, and look at some of the model answers I posted. When describing the studies they don't have to be in the excruciating detail that the core studies exam was in, it only has to be a really short summary of the aim, method, procedure, the main results/findings of the study and the conclusion has to be what they concluded in the study and more importantly how that links to the different approaches/methods/issues/debates etc.

So take Thigpen for example:

Aim: The aim of Thigpen and Cleckley's study was to provide an account of the treatment of a 25-year-old woman who was referred to Thigpen and Cleckley because of 'severe and blinding headaches'.

Method and Procedure: Thigpen and Cleckley conducted a case study into the behaviour of 'Eve', who was suffering from MPD, which was thought to be caused by childhood trauma.

Results: They discovered 3 distinct personalities: "Eve White" who was a shy, quiet, respectable wife and mother; "Eve Black" a promiscuous party girl and "Jane" who was considered the most stable of the three personalities.

Conclusion: MPD is usually linked to childhood trauma and this is why this study can be considered psychodynamic. Thigpen and Cleckley concluded that the solutions to ‘Eve’s’ problems were to let Jane become the dominant personality and they aimed to achieve this through extensive therapy.

Hope that helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by parawh0re
Could somebody please upload model answers for developmental? Our teacher hasn't covered it due to lack of time apparently, and I can't seem to find any sufficient information anywhere let alone model answers.

If anyone has model answers on determinism, that would also be brill. I have a gut feeling it might come up and I struggle with determinism and writing an answer to it.

Thank- you ;3

Anyone? ^^ - Determinism and free will
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 189
It shouldn't be too difficult to do, if you follow the AMPRC method, and look at some of the model answers I posted. When describing the studies they don't have to be in the excruciating detail that the core studies exam was in, it only has to be a really short summary of the aim, method, procedure, the main results/findings of the study and the conclusion has to be what they concluded in the study and more importantly how that links to the different approaches/methods/issues/debates etc.

So take Thigpen for example:

Aim: The aim of Thigpen and Cleckley's study was to provide an account of the treatment of a 25-year-old woman who was referred to Thigpen and Cleckley because of 'severe and blinding headaches'.

Method and Procedure: Thigpen and Cleckley conducted a case study into the behaviour of 'Eve', who was suffering from MPD, which was thought to be caused by childhood trauma.

Results: They discovered 3 distinct personalities: "Eve White" who was a shy, quiet, respectable wife and mother; "Eve Black" a promiscuous party girl and "Jane" who was considered the most stable of the three personalities.

Conclusion: MPD is usually linked to childhood trauma and this is why this study can be considered psychodynamic. Thigpen and Cleckley concluded that the solutions to ‘Eve’s’ problems were to let Jane become the dominant personality and they aimed to achieve this through extensive therapy.

Hope that helps.

That's brilliant cheers! Yep I'm using the AMPRC method, always just unsure of how much they want us to include, but you're right, they're not gonna expect them like core studies :smile:
Original post by ttreb
That's brilliant cheers! Yep I'm using the AMPRC method, always just unsure of how much they want us to include, but you're right, they're not gonna expect them like core studies :smile:

Yeah sure I understand, but think about it like each study is 4 marks, they don't want a full account of everything, they're just testing your knowledge to describe a study, in a concise way. Essentially 1/4 marks is for the aim, method, procedure and results and the remaining 3/4 marks is for your conclusion and how it ties into the approach/issue/debate/method etc. because it's a synoptic paper (i.e. testing you on everything you were taught on the G541, G542 and G543 paper) they want to see how you can apply that in a more theoretical, analytical way. So stick to that method and you'll be fine :smile:
Sorry if someone's already asked this but what are the strengths and weaknesses of research that is highly deterministic? Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure lol, behaviourist just came up in june

I'm just covering that just in case it comes up on its own, and they're not likely to repeat 2 of the same one which will take up the two options e.g. they've done social and cognitive - they wouldn't do the exact same two as two separate questions again, So it's always a new one + another new one (or new one + one that has already came up before) in terms of the topics
Original post by socially inept
I'm just covering that just in case it comes up on its own, and they're not likely to repeat 2 of the same one which will take up the two options e.g. they've done social and cognitive - they wouldn't do the exact same two as two separate questions again, So it's always a new one + another new one (or new one + one that has already came up before) in terms of the topics

Ah okay I see, I really cannot be bothered to revise for this!!, I feel like i am going to have to wing it
Reply 194
Ah okay I see, I really cannot be bothered to revise for this!!, I feel like i am going to have to wing it

Lol same. It's really dull and after learning so much for G543 I don't think my brain can bother to learn anything else.
Original post by ttreb
Lol same. It's really dull and after learning so much for G543 I don't think my brain can bother to learn anything else.

Ikr, that exam took so much out of me that i cannot seem to concentrate for psychology
Reply 196
Ikr, that exam took so much out of me that i cannot seem to concentrate for psychology

Haha I feel that. I think I'm less confident with this exam than options. It is just really unpredictable in what topic they will ask so it means having to really make sure we know every issue, every debate, every approach in detail. Ughhhh take me back to investigations :wink:
Original post by ttreb
Haha I feel that. I think I'm less confident with this exam than options. It is just really unpredictable in what topic they will ask so it means having to really make sure we know every issue, every debate, every approach in detail. Ughhhh take me back to investigations :wink:

I guess but I think we may be able to wing it, as it is basically a summary of everything
Reply 198
Pleaseeeeeee can anyone tell me how to answer questions such as 'Discuss the Determinism vs Free Will debate' ??? (question e /part B)
Reply 199
This word document I have should help you.

thanks for this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending