The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 revision thread!

Scroll to see replies

Everyone's slightly confused about a procedure for correlations?

If you're using self report then the easiest way you can do it is a QUESTIONNAIRE (CLOSED QUESTIONS, LIKERT SCALE, DISTRACTOR QUESTIONS)

For example if I was measuring the relationship between exposure to sunlight and happiness then I'd start off like this:
(I've only done how to write the actual self-report, not about the sample etc but I would include that too and data analysis and all that stuff)

I will be using a questionnaire using closed questions and a likert scale. Participants will be handed an A4 sheet of paper with 10 questions on it and tested individually in booths. An example of a DISTRACTOR question is 'how many hours a day do you watch tv?' [1-3] [4-6] [6+] this will be to ensure the participants don't know the real aim of the study as they may display demand characteristics. An example of a closed question is 'How do you feel after a day in the sun? [happy] [relaxed] [amazing] [sad] to gather qualitative data and an example of a question using a likert scale is 'on a scale of 1-10 how happy do you feel after a sunny day?, 10 being very happy and 1 being very unhappy' [1(very unhappy)-------------------10(very happy)].

That's the basics. You include examples of one of each e.g. A closed question, distractor and one using a likert scale (don't bother with open questions because they're time wasting). Then include the conditions of the questionnaire - will the p's be given the questionnaires on computers? Or a sheet of paper? how many minutes are they given to complete it? Are they tested individually? Etc etc. (I haven't included most of these in my example because I cannot be bothered lol). Also don't forget to mention that at the end, you'll tell them the aim and debrief them and say that you'd ask them to not write names on their sheet in order to protect them from harm and protect confidentiality. Blah blah etc etc

Just make sure you know how to write a procedure - you don't have to have a standardised checklist because this can make it a bit too structured? Just think of the procedure and make sure you're including the things as you go along (doesn't have to be in order).

I'm so tired lol, stopping revision in like 30 minutes. :biggrin:

Hope this helps someone (even a little bit lol)
(edited 9 years ago)
what examples of studies are people using for psychodynamic approach?
Original post by random1234567
Im lost

why?

Original post by emmalousie6
my prediction is that physiological and developmental will come up as the last times they came up were in june 11 and jan 11. whereas cognitive and social have come up twice over the last 4 years!

yep that's what I was thinking. Physiological would be a god send but it's unlikely as it came up for AS. Maybe developmental or psychodynamic.
Original post by jodie.irwin27
why?

yep that's what I was thinking. Physiological would be a god send but it's unlikely as it came up for AS. Maybe developmental or psychodynamic.

what studies would you use apart from freud for psychodynamic though? i have no idea!
Original post by socially inept
Everyone's slightly confused about a procedure for correlations?

If you're using self report then the easiest way you can do it is a QUESTIONNAIRE (CLOSED QUESTIONS, LIKERT SCALE, DISTRACTOR QUESTIONS)

For example if I was measuring the relationship between exposure to sunlight and happiness then I'd start off like this:
(I've only done how to write the actual self-report, not about the sample etc but I would include that too and data analysis and all that stuff)

I will be using a questionnaire using closed questions and a likert scale. Participants will be handed an A4 sheet of paper with 10 questions on it and tested individually in booths. An example of a DISTRACTOR question is 'how many hours a day do you watch tv?' [1-3] [4-6] [6+] this will be to ensure the participants don't know the real aim of the study as they may display demand characteristics. An example of a closed question is 'How do you feel after a day in the sun? [happy] [relaxed] [amazing] [sad] to gather qualitative data and an example of a question using a likert scale is 'on a scale of 1-10 how happy do you feel after a sunny day?, 10 being very happy and 1 being very unhappy' [1(very unhappy)-------------------10(very happy)].

That's the basics. You include examples of one of each e.g. A closed question, distractor and one using a likert scale (don't bother with open questions because they're time wasting). Then include the conditions of the questionnaire - will the p's be given the questionnaires on computers? Or a sheet of paper? how many minutes are they given to complete it? Are they tested individually? Etc etc. (I haven't included most of these in my example because I cannot be bothered lol). Also don't forget to mention that at the end, you'll tell them the aim and debrief them and say that you'd ask them to not write names on their sheet in order to protect them from harm and protect confidentiality. Blah blah etc etc

Just make sure you know how to write a procedure - you don't have to have a standardised checklist because this can make it a bit too structured? Just think of the procedure and make sure you're including the things as you go along (doesn't have to be in order).

I'm so tired lol, stopping revision in like 30 minutes. :biggrin:

Hope this helps someone (even a little bit lol)

Oh so you would compare the closed question with the likert scale one?
also I am knackered too
sociallyinept you're the best please answer my question :smile:!! do you know any other studies that are holistic apart from wikstrom?
what studies would you use apart from freud for psychodynamic though? i have no idea!

Freud and Thigpen and Cleckly. You could also use Yochelson and Samenow (from forensic, turning to crime, cognition) and maybe Lewinsohn (health, disorders, treatments) as that study investigated something to do with psychotherapy
Oh so you would compare the closed question with the likert scale one?

You'd just count up how many hours people spent in the sun (I don't think I included that as one of my questions oops) correlated with how happy they were on a scale of 1-10. It's quite confusing tbh if you've been taught to do it as an experiment just stick to that? I've been taught both ways but I think self report is easier depending on the option we're given
Freud and Thigpen and Cleckly. You could also use Yochelson and Samenow (from forensic, turning to crime, cognition) and maybe Lewinsohn (health, disorders, treatments) as that study investigated something to do with psychotherapy

i understand by thigpen and cleckley, but why yochelson and samenow?

did they have a freudian nature to their interviews?
Original post by harrietcarr
sociallyinept you're the best please answer my question :smile:!! do you know any other studies that are holistic apart from wikstrom?

I said that Becker (from health, theories of health belief) is holistic because the health belief model was a cognitive model that considered lots of variables that could affect why people do not adhere. The last variable of demography also could be seen as supporting the social approach, so it is therefore a combination of cognitive and social factors

also, Thigpen and Cleckley? IQ tests and EEG were used, which is a variety of measurements used by a range of approaches
Reply 590
Guys which studies are you using for determinism and free will (apologies if this has been dealt with already)
i understand by thigpen and cleckley, but why yochelson and samenow?

did they have a freudian nature to their interviews?

all the book says is that 'freudian-based therapy was used to find the root cause of their criminality in their previous lives.' whatever that means... hence why I'm skipping it lol
I said that Becker (from health, theories of health belief) is holistic because the health belief model was a cognitive model that considered lots of variables that could affect why people do not adhere. The last variable of demography also could be seen as supporting the social approach, so it is therefore a combination of cognitive and social factors

also, Thigpen and Cleckley? IQ tests and EEG were used, which is a variety of measurements used by a range of approaches

I am still confused with correlation :frown:(((
all the book says is that 'freudian-based therapy was used to find the root cause of their criminality in their previous lives.' whatever that means... hence why I'm skipping it lol

i hate psychodynamic so much, hopefully its developmental!
Original post by Elnor
Guys which studies are you using for determinism and free will (apologies if this has been dealt with already)

For a determinism point you can use pretty much any study from biological approach, e.g. i usually use Raine et al
And for free will i guess you could use a study from the cognitive approach as they usually allow for free will e.g. beck (treatment of depression -CBT)
(edited 9 years ago)
I am still confused with correlation :frown:(((

sorry buddy, can't help you anymore. Like I said, just stick to using self-report and data collection to measure your variables. The type of questions you ask will depend on what type of data you are asked to collect (ordinal etc) and what variables are stated in the question. Examples of data collection from records include mental health records, school grade records, health records, criminal records.
I get correlation now, I just hope that the inferential statistic question/s we get are limited to 4 marks max as last time I checked I was taking psychology and not higher maths :rolleyes:
Is there a chance they will ask individual differences? My friend thought that it would be quite unlikely as there are not that many A2 studies which fit in that approach. I am not so sure though.
Can we asked on correlations in section b guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DoctorWhat?
I get correlation now, I just hope that the inferential statistic question/s we get are limited to 4 marks max as last time I checked I was taking psychology and not higher maths :rolleyes:

Imagine, if you study psychology at uni we have to actually go deeper into all this statistics stuff :frown: I was looking forward to it up until I heard that, I hate maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending