The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 revision thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I can almost guarantee OCR will throw us a curveball and put in psychodynamic...the *best* perspective ever... hahaha

Revision for this is going ok at the moment, just hoping the approach/method is reasonable, and that the section A follow up questions aren't as bad as last years seemed.
Original post by socially inept
I'm still a little sceptical about leaving it out because it's not really evaluation by mentioning ethics because you need to make it obvious that your study is ethical. Also with the data analysis if the follow up questions don't ask about it then what..? I think I'll just add it in because that's how I was taught I guess lol.

Have you got any tips for correlations e.g. How you'd write a procedure? That's the only thing I'm struggling with tbh

That's cool, i was told i wouldn't need to mention that because you'd have to make it ethical so if you have to say it just say you'd get their consent as opposed to the principals and yeah i did on the previous pages (i think page 3).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gra1616
I'm really not confident with the AS studies though. I was told Daly and Wilson could be used for Individual differences as it looks at the differences in gender?

I thought this would come under the physiological approach? (Because it's under the biology section of TTC)
Reply 103
Original post by mkhan9035
Tbh you're probably right. I'm not too sure, but just do what works best for you. What makes you not so confident with the AS studies, is it for part (b) or the whole questions (A-E)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I just find individual differences difficult as a whole but for b I would struggle to write about AS studies as I haven't even looked at them for a year.
Sure i'll definitely post them for you tomorrow, i'm tired now lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No probs thanks!, gives me hope considering I feel like this paper is not TOO bad
Original post by gra1616
Tbh I just find individual differences difficult as a whole but for b I would struggle to write about AS studies as I haven't even looked at them for a year.

Ah okay I see, well i'll post some model answers tomorrow and it might help you structure an answer to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gra1616

Me too
Reply 107
Ah okay I see, well i'll post some model answers tomorrow and it might help you structure an answer to it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Sure i'll definitely post them for you tomorrow, i'm tired now lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

could you send me them as well plz
has anyone got anything for which studies to use for what? :smile:
Original post by rohan11
Ahhh revising for psychology again is sooo much stress. I need 163 Ums for an A :frown: so this paper has to be 90% to cover for the other one.

I need 180!
Hey guys, I made these notes last year and revised from it. I got an A in this paper. I also used model answers for the second part of this paper, but cannot seem to locate those! Hope this helps anyway.
Individual Differences model answers as promised. This is just a model answer however, and part (d) and (e) may differ slightly in the actual exam, but it should hopefully help you set an answer out :smile:
Haha it would be a massive cram, baring in mind when i sat this exam, i only revised the night before (no lie) and just revised behaviourist perspective and weirdly that came up, otherwise i was dead haha, and still got an A! But it helped I resat core studies as all that stuff was still in my head. Don't worry you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was hoping to do this as I need to focus on chem which is monday... but I'd rather not risk it!

you know for section A, it often says 'you must collect at least ordinal level data'. My teacher says this means you can collect interval or ordinal when you say this, but not nominal? Just to check, is this correct?

also, I know nothing about the AS individual differences studies.. so I was wondering whether you could use A2 studies that use an idiographic approach, such as McGrath, as they used a case study on one individual? because that's what individual differences studies do a lot? :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jodie.irwin27
I was hoping to do this as I need to focus on chem which is monday... but I'd rather not risk it!

you know for section A, it often says in section A 'you must collect at least ordinal level data'. My teacher says this means you can collect interval or ordinal when you say this, but not nominal? Just to check, is this correct?

also, I know nothing about the AS individual differences studies.. so I was wondering whether you could use A2 studies that use an idiographic approach, such as McGrath, as they used a case study on one individual? because that's what individual differences studies do a lot? :/

Yeah in reference to ordinal level of data you should just collect ordinal or interval and not nominal, because that's what it usually asks in the question and mark schemes. And in reference to A2 studies i genuinely don't know because i only revised AS studies when i did it because i hated the A2 studies, but i have posted a model answer for the individual differences approach above ^^ so check it out :smile:
Yeah in reference to ordinal level of data you should just collect ordinal or interval and not nominal, because that's what it usually asks in the question and mark schemes. And in reference to A2 studies i genuinely don't know because i only revised AS studies when i did it because i hated the A2 studies, but i have posted a model answer for the individual differences approach above ^^ so check it out :smile:

thank you :smile: so just to summarise, if it says collect at least ordinal, I can collect just internal if I choose to?
And here's the model answer to the Psychodynamic perspective :smile:
thank you :smile: so just to summarise, if it says collect at least ordinal, I can collect just internal if I choose to?

Well i'd only do what the question asks tbh.

Nominal data = It involves data being in categories or frequencies e.g. frequency of how many people said ''yes'"
Ordinal data = involves numbers that can be put in order but don't have any mathematical properties, like rating scales. It's like a ranking order (individual scores and not necessarily equal units).
Interval data = involves using a scale that has equal intervals between the units (e.g minutes or seconds)

Hope this helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well i'd only do what the question asks tbh.

Nominal data = It involves data being in categories or frequencies e.g. frequency of how many people said ''yes'"
Ordinal data = involves numbers that can be put in order but don't have any mathematical properties, like rating scales. It's like a ranking order (individual scores and not necessarily equal units).
Interval data = involves using a scale that has equal intervals between the units (e.g minutes or seconds)

Hope this helps.

that's what I don't understand though, what the question is asking! I am so confused. I would usually try to collect ordinal, but sometime's it's hard to add a rating scale to measure one of the variables. Therefore my teacher said that because it says at least ordinal level data, that interval data would be just as acceptable. But I don't really see how.. surely you need some kind of ordinal data too?
that's what I don't understand though, what the question is asking! I am so confused. I would usually try to collect ordinal, but sometime's it's hard to add a rating scale to measure one of the variables. Therefore my teacher said that because it says at least ordinal level data, that interval data would be just as acceptable. But I don't really see how.. surely you need some kind of ordinal data too?

I guess it depends on what the research is asking you to conduct, if it's into people's attitudes towards stress, you might find ordinal data is better as you can rank who's the most stressed to who's the least stressed, don't worry it'll all become clearer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending