The Student Room Group

M1 help vectors!

Hey guys I was just wondering about this question. i managed to answer it all fine apart from the last question where on the mark scheme they took L away from S but i took S away from L to get the position vector of S relative to L. my answer for T was the same so i guess my real question is if your way is not on the mark scheme would you get method marks for it? im bad at explaining so if it helps i put (9-3t)^2 + (12-4t)^2 =100 whereas they put (3t-9)^2 + (4t-12)^2 =100 .anyway the question is below you proberly wont need it to answer my question but oh well. p.s sorry for asking such a simple question in such a long way

A ship S is moving along a straight line with constant velocity. At time t hours the position vector of S is s km.When t= 0, s= 9i– 6j. When t= 4, s= 21i+ 10j.

(c) Show that s=(3t + 9) i + (4t 6) j

A lighthouse Lis located at the point with position vector
(18
i+ 6j)km. When t=T, the ship S is 10km from L.

(d) Find the possible values of T

Reply 1
Original post by randymarsh
Hey guys I was just wondering about this question. i managed to answer it all fine apart from the last question where on the mark scheme they took L away from S but i took S away from L to get the position vector of S relative to L. my answer for T was the same so i guess my real question is if your way is not on the mark scheme would you get method marks for it? im bad at explaining so if it helps i put (9-3t)^2 + (12-4t)^2 =100 whereas they put (3t-9)^2 + (4t-12)^2 =100 .anyway the question is below you proberly wont need it to answer my question but oh well. p.s sorry for asking such a simple question in such a long way

A ship S is moving along a straight line with constant velocity. At time t hours the position vector of S is s km.When t= 0, s= 9i– 6j. When t= 4, s= 21i+ 10j.

(18

What you have done is the exact same thing so it would be fine.
Original post by randymarsh

(18

Idk if it's because it's on the computer or whatever but how do you do part c) I can't think how I would go about it :/
Reply 3
Original post by Davelittle
Idk if it's because it's on the computer or whatever but how do you do part c) I can't think how I would go about it :/

I've just done this question, and in part a) you find the velocity of S. then use the standard r new=r old +vt
Original post by Gome44
I've just done this question, and in part a) you find the velocity of S. then use the standard r new=r old +vt

Ah ok didn't occur to me about the other parts!
Reply 5
Original post by Davelittle
Ah ok didn't occur to me about the other parts!

You dont need the other parts but the do make it easier.

Quick Reply

Latest