The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway GCSE Physics B June 2014 P1-6

Hi everyone,

This is the Physics thread for the exam. The dates of the exam are:

P1 - 3: 10th June (pm)
P4-6: 19th June (pm)

This is - undoubtedly - one of the hardest sciences for many, so hopefully, we can get some resources going along the thread to help everyone and just talk about topics to consolidate our understanding.

As with all of the other sciences, I am going to (foolishly) try to predict the 6 mark questions, though my current pass rate is quite low:

P1 - Light and lasers (properties of laser light and how discs can be read, perhaps?)

P2 - I have a feeling that it will have something to do with the solar system, so maybe the development of those two space theories or the red-shift - I am not too sure about the specifics of this one

P3 - Braking distance and thinking distance or terminal velocity (or speed).

P4 - the nicest one would be on electrostatics, but it will probably be on fission and fusion, in my opinion

P5 - Optics (cameras and the different types of lenses)

P6 - Resistance - maybe? - or transforming. Again, this is one that I'm not too sure about...

I'll post some resources on here soon, but how is everyone revising? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hey there. Is there anywhere I can find physics 4-6 past papers. ocr doesn't have them on their website :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could i have the resources you promised please? :biggrin:
I hate physics- dreading this exam so much!
Reply 5
Original post by lowhigh
Could i have the resources you promised please? :biggrin:

The ones I have for this are two example Physics papers with answers that have been marked and then marked answers to almost all of the Physics 6 mark questions that have been asked before, if that would be helpful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
The ones I have for this are two example Physics papers with answers that have been marked and then marked answers to almost all of the Physics 6 mark questions that have been asked before, if that would be helpful?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes definitely.
Original post by kingaaran

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whenever your ready...:wink:
Reply 8
Original post by lowhigh
Whenever your ready...:wink:

Sorry man, but I was revising - got AS maths tomorrow.

Example 6 mark questions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kpylpsrueh4v2v/merged_7bd8cc6d-32cf-4fb0-861f-ad4f33bb2057_pdf-notes_flattened_201406091814.pdf

Example paper (62/75, so full UMS): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx1bxjzqqxfpur4/144956-question-paper-unit-b751-02-physics-modules-p1-p2-p3-higher-tier_pdf-notes_flattened_201406091816.pdf

I'll dig out the example June 2013 in about 30 minutes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh. Sorry to interrupt you from your studies. Take your time. Thanks for this by the way!
How did you find it? For me:
P1- amazingly awesome
P2- quite good, except the six mark question, what did you write for that?
P3- completely flopped, didn't have time so I missed the last two questions, didn't have time to do the six marker properly even though it was easy- I only had 30 seconds to do the distance calculation of the rock- I had no clue, so I did the first thing that came into my head, I calculated the kinetic energy (LOOOOL)- will I get at least one mark for working out the KE, or was this completely irrelevant?
Reply 11
Original post by angelahopkins050
How did you find it? For me:
P1- amazingly awesome
P2- quite good, except the six mark question, what did you write for that?
P3- completely flopped, didn't have time so I missed the last two questions, didn't have time to do the six marker properly even though it was easy- I only had 30 seconds to do the distance calculation of the rock- I had no clue, so I did the first thing that came into my head, I calculated the kinetic energy (LOOOOL)- will I get at least one mark for working out the KE, or was this completely irrelevant?

It was awful. Didn't have time either! Probably lost at least 10 marks, I need to do really well on P4,5,6 now, I'm targeted an A* but that's not gonna happen :cry:
Reply 12
What did you write for the 6 markers?
I actually thought this was a fairly easy paper. :confused:
Not happy about this paper I found it ok. Some questions were just ridiculous. It was awful

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did not like the p2 6 mark question - hated it so much. I think p3 was easy and p1 was not too difficult.

I counted around 53-55 marks, will that be an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rik21
What did you write for the 6 markers?

For the first one, I said:

The amount of energy needed to increase a substance of 1kg by 1 degrees Celsius is known as the Specific Heat Capacity, and can be given by this equation:

Energy = mass * specific heat capacity * temperature change

The specific heat capacity will always remain constant and with both of the kettles the energy supplied was the same at 3Kw. The difference was the mass of each kettle, but the only thing that will affect the amount of time taken to heat the water is the mass of the water. Since the mass of the water hasn't changed, the amount of energy needed to heat up the substance will also be the same. Hence, this is why the time taken for the water to be boiled in each kettle is the same.

(Really, I should've talked about Specific Latent Heat, but oh well!)

For the second one, I said:

For the providers, the use of this system is a huge advantage as it is cheap, makes use of a renewable source and [something else]. This is because it makes use of the dynamo effect, which is easy to simulate, and since it uses water, there will no need to burn coal at night to produce off-peak electricity, which is in little demand. For the consumers, this process is advantageous because it means that they will be able to receive more electricity at night and that their bills will be lower, since less energy will be wasted in burning coal for a low demand, for example.

For the third one, I said:

Force = mass * acceleration. I calculated it and the answer was somewhere in the 20000s. Then I said:

Seatbelts are useful in increasing the collision time and distance. By increasing the time taken to collide, the acceleration is reducing. By force = mass * acceleration, if the acceleration is lower, then the overall force acting on the passengers in the car will also be lower.

I reckon I would have got 4, 4 and 4 (maybe 5 or 6 for the last one).

What did you get for the one about when you can best see the asteroid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What grades do u guys predict yourselves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TypicalAsian
I did not like the p2 6 mark question - hated it so much. I think p3 was easy and p1 was not too difficult.

I counted around 53-55 marks, will that be an A*

Yes
Specific Latent Heat didn't come into it I don't think.

The reason why the kettles boiled the water at the same rate was due to the difference in masses of each kettle. If you did the SHC equation but the mass of the kettles in. Both equations came out with the same answer, 48,000, which suggests that the same amount of energy was put into each kettle meaning they boiled at the same rate.

Also for the P2 one, I'm not sure if the Dynamo effect came into it either, it was more to do with weighing up advantages and disadvantages of Off-Peak ie. it's cheaper for the consumer, but the supplier still makes a profit.

For the P3 one it was all about increasing the time taken for the momentum to decrease to zero, which would reduce force on the occupant. Also it converts excess KE into Elastic Potential energy.

Unless, I've done them wrong - who knows...

And the comet question was about the Sun melting the comets ice and making the characteristic tail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending