The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kingaaran
For that cliff question, I got 22.5, because wasn't it using:

Mgh =. 1/2 m v^2

Then for part (b), I explained that the speed is independent of the mass, using v^2=2gh :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was 11.25m
Reply 41
For the efficiency one you had to times 330 by 60. As one watt is one joule per second.
Original post by mrrupertzz
I also got 11.25m but wasn't sure if the velocity = speed. I also got 330J but had no idea what to do with it after so just left it at that. The question never specified if the efficiency was for and hour, day, etc.

I'm pretty sure it was 330*60=19,800 because 330 was in watts, which is joules per second, so joules per minute would be 60x this value!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by πππ
For the efficiency one you had to times 330 by 60. As one watt is one joule per second.

I just wrote that and then saw you had, nice!! At least I found someone else who got the same as me for that one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bj1
I'm surprised that nobody has talked about the 'frequency of the wavelength' calculation with all the standard form, 4 marks down the drain, I left it out till the end and just punched random numbers in to the calculator and ended up getting 4.05 x 10^14 which was the closest I could get, still wrong though.

Never seen anything like that one before!

Yes the comets one was also odd, however looking at the textbook now I may have got it right, fortunately P3's calculation for the height of the cliff wasn't too bad, 11.25m (I hope), but then why would a heavier rock fall at the same speed?! Surely not! We're not in space!

I am happy that there was a 'choosing cars' question, as it was in a past paper that I hurried through literally minutes before the exam.

Was it me or was there a surprising lack of maths in P3?

I thought that you just needed to you v=f*wl for the highest and lowest value, then subtract:

4.05*10^14 - 1*10^12 = 4.04*10^14

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by πππ
It was 11.25m

Which equation did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Which equation did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1/2mv^2 = mgh. Then just fill in the numbers you know and the height can be found.
Original post by πππ
1/2mv^2 = mgh. Then just fill in the numbers you know and the height can be found.

I did that and ended up with 112.5/5 = 22.5 : s

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did that and ended up with 112.5/5 = 22.5 : s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mgh = 1/2mv^2

0.5*10*x = 1/2*0.5*15^2

Divide both by 0.5

10x = (15^2)/2

Divide both by 10

X = (15^2)/20 = 11.25

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by jpetersgill
I'm pretty sure it was 330*60=19,800 because 330 was in watts, which is joules per second, so joules per minute would be 60x this value!

Posted from TSR Mobile

but it was in MJ not just joules? plus 19800 J per minute would be a lot! A LOT of energy would be wasted per year then
Original post by geekygeek
but it was in MJ not just joules? plus 19800 J per minute would be a lot! A LOT of energy would be wasted per year then

I can't remember the exact units, but I remember multiplying by 60 at the end! Yes that is a lot, what was it actually asking about? A kettle or a power station? A bit of context would help work out if it's a sensible answer haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mgh = 1/2mv^2

0.5*10*x = 1/2*0.5*15^2

Divide both by 0.5

10x = (15^2)/2

Divide both by 10

X = (15^2)/20 = 11.25

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might have forgotten the 1/2 in the kinetic energy formula... *facepalm*

I should've known better, especially since I had done an A Level maths exam in the morning :s

Hopefully, I'll get two marks, one for the correct equation, and another for attempting to use it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
I can't remember the exact units, but I remember multiplying by 60 at the end! Yes that is a lot, what was it actually asking about? A kettle or a power station? A bit of context would help work out if it's a sensible answer haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

but wouldn't the "MJ" affect it? Cause I am pretty sure it said MJ instead of J
and I can't remember the context hahah, might have been a power station
Original post by geekygeek
but wouldn't the "MJ" affect it? Cause I am pretty sure it said MJ instead of J
and I can't remember the context hahah, might have been a power station

Yes but I'm pretty sure I took into account the MJ when working out it was 330 wasted per second!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, do you have stuff like this for P456? Thanks, by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, do you have stuff like this for P456? Thanks, by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet, as I haven't started revising for it - sorry! Once I get some stuff, I'll message you. I have some for B4-6, if you want, like the June 2013 example paper?
Not yet, as I haven't started revising for it - sorry! Once I get some stuff, I'll message you. I have some for B4-6, if you want, like the June 2013 example paper?

Thanks but it's okay! I finished biology last year so just got C456 and P456 to do! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks but it's okay! I finished biology last year so just got C456 and P456 to do! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky you! :biggrin:
Lucky you! :biggrin:

Haha yeah I guess, but it wasn't nice having to sit exams in year 9 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got any example papers for for 456 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending