The Student Room Group

MEI Differential Equations - June 12th 2014

Scroll to see replies

dat was one easy paper
Q1 (2nd order and 3rd order DEs) was pretty straightforward. Q2 (solving and commenting on models) was quite fun. Q3 (integrating factor and numerical methods) was probably the easiest. Q4 (systems of DEs) had a lot of places to go wrong (e.g. sign errors, etc.), but was not too taxing.

I thought that it was an easy paper. The only errors that I can foresee for those who had experience with past papers (me included) is sign errors, etc.
Reply 22
Original post by Mandragoran
I think it was x=Ae^t + Be^2t +1/12e^-2t

same and the only time consuming/tricky bit in q'2 was having to use partial fractions to integrate 1/(400-v^2) then integrating!
Thought it was an alright paper. What did everyone put for the last part of Q2 when you had to comment on the revised model.

Only thing I wasn't sure on Q1 was when one of the roots of the auxiliary equation was 0, did that mean that you just added a constant onto the end of the C.F, since I figured that Ke^0 = K?

Think I got the same as 'Mandragoran'
Reply 24
Original post by AnnieMckelvey
Thought it was an alright paper. What did everyone put for the last part of Q2 when you had to comment on the revised model.

Only thing I wasn't sure on Q1 was when one of the roots of the auxiliary equation was 0, did that mean that you just added a constant onto the end of the C.F, since I figured that Ke^0 = K?

Think I got the same as 'Mandragoran'

I just added a constant using the same logic, hopefully that's right.
Reply 25
For question 1, with the third order equation when you had to graph it, did you get it tend to 2?
Original post by ollz272
For question 1, with the third order equation when you had to graph it, did you get it tend to 2?

I got it tended to 12...
Reply 27
Original post by Law-Hopeful
I got it tended to 12...

I got 12
Reply 28
Original post by Law-Hopeful
I got it tended to 12...

I was afraid of that, my friend did aswell :frown: if anyone remembers the question could you explain why?
Reply 29
Original post by ollz272
I was afraid of that, my friend did aswell :frown: if anyone remembers the question could you explain why?

The question was Y''' + 2Y'' + 2Y' =0
with the conditions when x=0 y=0 y'=10 y''=0
Reply 30
and i just redid that question and it gave you the graph y=10-10cosx which means it tends to 10 not 12 surely? unless i wrote out the conditions wrong
Reply 31
Original post by emirp17
and i just redid that question and it gave you the graph y=10-10cosx which means it tends to 10 not 12 surely? unless i wrote out the conditions wrong

I think it was y'' = 4
Right I was an idiot, on question one (i), some how I thought root 4 over 2 was 2 (exam nerves) and it meant I got -1+-2j and as the original right hand side had 30cos2t I multiplied Asin2t and Bcos2t in my particular solution both by x and tried to solve, this question was only worth 9 marks, do you think I would get any method marks? so sad and angry :frown:
Original post by afeledziak
Right I was an idiot, on question one (i), some how I thought root 4 over 2 was 2 (exam nerves) and it meant I got -1+-2j and as the original right hand side had 30cos2t I multiplied Asin2t and Bcos2t in my particular solution both by x and tried to solve, this question was only worth 9 marks, do you think I would get any method marks? so sad and angry :frown:

I think you will get all (or at least most of) the method marks, for 2 reasons:
1. It's unfair of them to deduct all the method marks for one arithmetic error at the beginning of a question, as it is no fault of method, rather just a human error. (i.e They would follow through from your -1+-2j for most of the question.)
2. You showed that you knew what you were doing with multiplying by x, that shows good knowledge of method, meaning they will give you the benefit of the doubt on the method marks.
Original post by mystery7777777
I think you will get all (or at least most of) the method marks, for 2 reasons:
1. It's unfair of them to deduct all the method marks for one arithmetic error at the beginning of a question, as it is no fault of method, rather just a human error. (i.e They would follow through from your -1+-2j for most of the question.)
2. You showed that you knew what you were doing with multiplying by x, that shows good knowledge of method, meaning they will give you the benefit of the doubt on the method marks.

ahhhh thank you for replying, that does make me feel a little better!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending