Brighton

Scroll to see replies

So, any decent Northern Soul nights?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
thenaughtyjoker
Thanks, Wise One. Crikey!! - seem to be so many clubs in Brighton in comparison to lame old Bath! Can't wait! :biggrin:

That is a real understatement :smile:
in terms of campus there's four bars and one club

east slope which is my favourite is a very student-y regular pub, it's a little on the grimey side but in that kind of endearing good ambience way, its the only real place on campus where you get to see bands, apparently loads of decent bands have played there over the years, and i saw the kooks there a few weeks before they got signed.
There's always good djs in there too I'm a bit bias about east slope cause this coming term i've got every other saturday in there booked, so I can promise a few nights of eclectic music, from motown to eighties electro, via mid nineties dance, brit pop and emo. With added does of classic pop.

Falmer bar is a bit further away from the residences near the library and tends to be a bit more second and third year, tends to be a bit busier during the day than the evening, and they do food which is always good

then there's grapevine, which is a bit of a strange one above one of the campus on. If i were being mean I'd describe as a bit of an airport longue but its definately better lit and non smoking so tends to attract a bit more or a rendy shoes and shirt crowd.

and finally park village longue which isnt really much bigger than a longue, never seems to attract the same attention on campus, its small and intimate but definately has its fans and i can kinda see why.

the club is the hothouse, which cant really be faulted, its not the ritz but its definately a lot more about the experience and company than the surroundings, its always rammed on a friday and saturday when most of campus pretty much decamps there, and its so much cheaper than a trip into town and a nightbus/taxi home.

Again I hear there is going to be a very good wednesday night at the hothouse in freshers week if i do say so myself....

hope that prooves useful
Reply 23
I've only got this to add -

East Slope - packed to the brim most evenings. Better for an early evening pint. Will generate its own set of campus-based regulars over the course of the year. Good place to make random mates in the first couple of weeks. 1 Pool Table. Couple of smaller TVs. Live Music. And a large projector & screen rigged up for special events (World Cup, Uni Challenge when Sussex is on, Society Promos etc.)

Park Village Cocktail Lounge - Free cocktail if you can prove it's your birthday. Excellent pub quiz. Apart from that, normally too packed and too small to find somewhere to sit.

Grapevine - all the atmosphere of a shoebox, but lots of pool tables.

Falmer Bar - food. Bit of a hike across campus from accomodation, though.

There's also (supposedly) an old man pub attatched to the Institute of Development Studies, a bar in Gardner Arts, and a cafe / common room for each 'School'.
Reply 24
And the Grapevine has unisex toilets which I find infinitely bizarre...
Oh yuck!

Does it have urinals?
Reply 26
now that would make for some very interesting drunken fun...
I have never seen unisex toilets before. I am thoroughly amazed. I must go!
Reply 28
Lyds117

wow that would be well weird, don't think I'd fancy that! drunk men + women in 1 toilet spells trouble in my opinion! plus men's toilets always stink to high heaven!
The worst toilets in the world are in the Candy Bar in Soho.

I'm amazed how dirty women's toilets can be! Plus there's a sign up saying if they catch more than one person in the toilet they'll be thrown out. Class-ee!
Reply 30
soulofanewmachine
I have never seen unisex toilets before. I am thoroughly amazed. I must go!

^Exactly my thoughts! :p:
Reply 31
Lyds117

This is both true, and mildly entertaining.
Reply 32
ladyportacabin
Oh yuck!

Does it have urinals?

It does. It's so weird, you'll see at hte beginning of term so many people walk in and straight out cos they think they've got the wrong ones. There's a disabled loo tho, i usually use that!
Do they hand out She-pees like at Glastonbury?

(Just google for them, I ain't explaining it! :wink:)
Ewwww... no way I'm using one of them!

Reply 35
^^^You wouldnt catch me in one of those

Even if it wasnt pink
haha I don't understand that! surely girls don't have the right... 'equipment' to ba able to do that! :eek:

EDIT: Never mind.. I just googled the explanation...
Wise One
Falmer Bar - food. Bit of a hike across campus from accomodation, though.

Hehe I love how your perception of distance changes as you get more used to living on campus, towards the end of the year I started to think I couldn't be bothered to go to the USSU shop cause it was too far...:biggrin:
Reply 38
misslibby
Hehe I love how your perception of distance changes as you get more used to living on campus, towards the end of the year I started to think I couldn't be bothered to go to the USSU shop cause it was too far...:biggrin:

Oh, I hear you. Once they got broadband up and running, I didn't even have to make the hike over to the York House PC room. I spent the Summer term feeling vaguely empty without my daily dose of internet in an environment which seemed to consist mostly of foreign students talking to people back home over their headsets, a random Mexican guy who bought cheese, sleep-deprived finalists, and the odd drunk person. :biggrin:
I can't believe you all told them where to go!

I like that you all slipped in some rubbish ones so they learn their lessons though. Like Funky Fish. Deary me.

I always thought the unisex toilets in Grapevine were odd as well. The smell i in that place is enough to convince anyone that banning smoking in bars is a really bad idea.

Latest

Trending

Trending