The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

southampton

I fancy Liberal Arts at Southampton - any info as it seems to be a new course. And what is the uni like? Friendly? In a fun town for some nightlife? Thanks!
Original post by StudyUni
I fancy Liberal Arts at Southampton - any info as it seems to be a new course. And what is the uni like? Friendly? In a fun town for some nightlife? Thanks!

Hi @StudyUni

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying Liberal Arts at the University of Southampton!

You are correct in saying that it is a new course. Essentially, Liberal Arts allows you to study a variety of subjects within humanities and the social sciences. You also pick a 'pathway', meaning you focus on one subject more than the others (for example, you could take a history or philosophy pathway, but still study things like film, English, politics, and music). It is similar to a joint honours programme, except rather than just studying two subjects, it is multiple, and they are more thoughtfully interweaved with each other! I'm sure you already have it, but here is the link to the course details (I'm aware there isn't much information on this at the moment, but you could also look at the information for some of the subjects included to get a sense of what you could be studying): https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/liberal-arts-degree-ba

As for the uni itself, I personally love it here! Everyone is incredibly friendly and the lecturers are always really helpful and engaging. As the uni campus is separate from the city, it has a lovely community feel, while the city itself is near enough that links for nightlife or things to do in the day are very accessible too (especially with the great bus service that runs in Southampton and connects campus, the different halls sites and the city centre). There are lots of great coffee shops, bars, restaurants and clubs, as well as a cinema and Westquay shopping centre, so there's lots to do! The uni itself offers hundreds of different clubs and societies that you can get involved with, as well as nightlife on campus and activities during the day. There are a lot of opportunity to make friends and have a good time!

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Amie (third year University of Southampton Official Rep)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @StudyUni

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying Liberal Arts at the University of Southampton!

You are correct in saying that it is a new course. Essentially, Liberal Arts allows you to study a variety of subjects within humanities and the social sciences. You also pick a 'pathway', meaning you focus on one subject more than the others (for example, you could take a history or philosophy pathway, but still study things like film, English, politics, and music). It is similar to a joint honours programme, except rather than just studying two subjects, it is multiple, and they are more thoughtfully interweaved with each other! I'm sure you already have it, but here is the link to the course details (I'm aware there isn't much information on this at the moment, but you could also look at the information for some of the subjects included to get a sense of what you could be studying): https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/liberal-arts-degree-ba

As for the uni itself, I personally love it here! Everyone is incredibly friendly and the lecturers are always really helpful and engaging. As the uni campus is separate from the city, it has a lovely community feel, while the city itself is near enough that links for nightlife or things to do in the day are very accessible too (especially with the great bus service that runs in Southampton and connects campus, the different halls sites and the city centre). There are lots of great coffee shops, bars, restaurants and clubs, as well as a cinema and Westquay shopping centre, so there's lots to do! The uni itself offers hundreds of different clubs and societies that you can get involved with, as well as nightlife on campus and activities during the day. There are a lot of opportunity to make friends and have a good time!

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Amie (third year University of Southampton Official Rep)

that's great, thanks for replying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending