Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This is how I did the reduction.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1403520452.909084.jpg

And 6c)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1403520933.139480.jpg
Reply 41
Original post by lilac12
I think i got y= -(4/9m)x but i can't really remember exactly, they asked you to find k in terms of m right?

I got this too
Reply 42
does anyone have any idea of grade boundaries? what's the lowest they could be for an A*?
Reply 43
does anyone know how many marks question 9 was?!
I just realised I missed the entire question :'(
Original post by ermm
does anyone know how many marks question 9 was?!
I just realised I missed the entire question :'(

It was 8 marks; 5 for the reduction formula and 3 for evaluating I2I_2
Original post by sjc1996
did anyone else get y=-9/4x for question 5??? no idea if it's right but it's my only hope as i ****ed up on 9a :frown:

Er, I had y=49mxy=-\frac{4}{9m} x, is that what you meant?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Ktulu666
It was 8 marks; 5 for the reduction formula and 3 for evaluating I2I_2

Ahh thanks, don't know why Edexcel use 8 questions for years and years and then decide to chuck an extra one in :mad:
Reply 47
Er, I had y=49mxy=-\frac{4}{9m} x, is that what you meant?

I think you're right, I got the 4 and 9 the wrong way round somehow as i was in such a rush
Reply 48
Original post by VannR
Yeah. I was almost there apart from a spurious '+2' on the denominator that stopped me from completing my answer. Checked for signing errors in my expansion, but I could not find one :rolleyes:

there was supposed to be a +2 on the denominator as sech^2(x)=4/(e^2x+e^-2x+2) Is that what you meant?
Okay, here's what I remember that I got:
Q1a Can't remember, I just had the direction vector being the normal to the plane and the position vector being that of the point it went through
Q1b Again, can't remember, something like 3, -1, 2
Q1c Distance of /sqrt6/sqrt{6}
Q2a Area of \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{6}
Q2b Proved the triple scalar product was zero, QED
Q2c I THINK this shows they are coplanar vectors, since if they weren't, then the tetrahedron whose sides they form would have non-zero volume, but it does have zero volume so it must be a plane i.e: the three vectors are coplanar
Q3 (If this was the two integrals question), for part a I had ln(6+22)ln(\frac{\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{2}}{2}) and 16e3x12ex+13\frac{1}{6}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{2}e^x + \frac{1}{3}
Q4 (If this was the hyp function question), for part a I had to work from both ends of the identity then rewrite the entire thing in one direction, was fairly tedious, for part b I got x=ln7x = ln7 only
Q5 Proved the derivative, QED
Q6 This was horrible. Like, tedious as f***. Thanks for a C3 question edexcel. Part a was a proof, for part b I had (32(cosα+cosβ),sinα+sinβ)(\frac{3}{2}(cos\alpha + cos\beta), sin\alpha + sin\beta), for part c I had k=49mk = \frac{4}{9m}
Q7 (If this was the area of a sphere one) Part a, QED on the derivative, part b QED, part c I wrote π2\frac{\pi}{2} since the equation was of a quarter circle, radius 1.
Q8 (If this was the matrices question) QED on the eigenvalue 1 based upon solutions to the characteristic equation, I got the others as -1 and 5 I believe. For an eigenvector, doing Mr=λrMr = \lambda r gives x=x,y=0,z=0x=x, y=0, z=0, so you can choose any value for x except zero (I picked 1 because its the simplest), so my eigenvector was \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\0 \\0 \end{pmatrix}
Q9 QED on the reduction formula (I did it by parts on u=(x2+1)n,dvdx=1u = (x^2 + 1)^{-n}, \frac{dv}{dx} = 1 and the rewrote the resulting integral of x2(x2+1)n1x^2(x^2 + 1)^{-n-1} as (x2+1)n(x2+1)n1(x^2 + 1)^{-n} - (x^2 + 1)^{-n-1}
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ermm
Ahh thanks, don't know why Edexcel use 8 questions for years and years and then decide to chuck an extra one in :mad:

This whole paper was fairly jammy tbh. There wasn't a single question on ellipses/hyperbolae at an FP3 level; I refuse to accept question 6 as anything more than particularly messy C3 trig identities and C1 co-ordinate geometry. You had to work out a line between two point (C1) using C3 geometry, work out the midpoint of that line (C1), then show that if the gradient of your line (C1) from part a was constant, the midpoint followed this locus (eh, loci are a bit advanced for C1, but not FP3) Like, that's a fair proportion of their own course ignored. Good job
Q1a Can't remember, I just had the direction vector being the normal to the plane and the position vector being that of the point it went through
Q1c Area of 126\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{6}
Q2 Can't remember this question
Q3 (If this was the two integrals question), for part a I had ln(6+22)ln(\frac{\sqrt{6} + \sqrt{2}}{2}) and 16e3x12ex+13\frac{1}{6}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{2}e^x + \frac{1}{3}
Q4 (If this was the hyp function question), for part a I had to work from both ends of the identity then rewrite the entire thing in one direction, was fairly tedious, for part b I got x=ln7x = ln7 only
Q6 This was horrible. Like, tedious as f***. Thanks for a C3 question edexcel. Part a was a proof, for part b I had (32(cosα+cosβ),sinα+sinβ)(\frac{3}{2}(cos\alpha + cos\beta), sin\alpha + sin\beta), for part c I had k=49mk = \frac{4}{9m}
Q7 (If this was the area of a sphere one) Part a, QED on the derivative, part b QED, part c I wrote π2\frac{\pi}{2} since the equation was of a quarter circle, radius 1.
Q8 Can't remember this question
Q9 QED on the reduction formula (I did it by parts on u=(x2+1)n,dvdx=1u = (x^2 + 1)^{-n}, \frac{dv}{dx} = 1 and the rewrote the resulting integral of x2(x2+1)n1x^2(x^2 + 1)^{-n-1} as (x2+1)n(x2+1)n1(x^2 + 1)^{-n} - (x^2 + 1)^{-n-1}

Did you get the sphere one? Couldn't prove it was 4 pi r^2 and ended up with something weird like 4 pi ^2 r... :/
Q1c Area of 126\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{6}
Q2 Can't remember this question
Q8 Can't remember this question

I got exactly the same as you for all, I assume your very good at maths so they are right :smile: And also does Arsey post answers to this?
Reply 53
Original post by FibonacciPigeon
Did you get the sphere one? Couldn't prove it was 4 pi r^2 and ended up with something weird like 4 pi ^2 r... :/

Yeah that one was sneaky
You had to set the limits as r and -r rather than pi and 0...it then comes to 4pi r^2
Reply 54
Original post by sjc1996
did anyone else get y=-9/4x for question 5??? no idea if it's right but it's my only hope as i ****ed up on 9a :frown:

yes i got this
Reply 55
This whole paper was fairly jammy tbh. There wasn't a single question on ellipses/hyperbolae at an FP3 level; I refuse to accept question 6 as anything more than particularly messy C3 trig identities and C1 co-ordinate geometry. You had to work out a line between two point (C1) using C3 geometry, work out the midpoint of that line (C1), then show that if the gradient of your line (C1) from part a was constant, the midpoint followed this locus (eh, loci are a bit advanced for C1, but not FP3) Like, that's a fair proportion of their own course ignored. Good job

ahaha preach! Yeah Edexcel like ****ing with people
Reply 56
Original post by FibonacciPigeon

you had to use your part a 1+(dy/dx)^2 = r^2 / r^2 - x^2 , Area = 2pi * integral of [ y (1+ (dy/dx)^0.5 ] ... using x=r and x= -r as limits

simplified down to 2pi * [rx] = 2pi * 2r^2 = 4pi r^2
Original post by ermm
Yeah that one was sneaky
You had to set the limits as r and -r rather than pi and 0...it then comes to 4pi r^2

That's what I did for the sphere one, yeah. You can't use pi and 0 since you're not dealing with the parametric form of a circle, and since the question has already forced you into calculating 1+(dydx)21 + (\frac{dy}{dx})^2, they're wanting you to go down the integral-with-respect-to-x route.
Original post by lilac12
you had to use your part a 1+(dy/dx)^2 = r^2 / r^2 - x^2 , Area = 2pi * integral of [ y (1+ (dy/dx)^0.5 ] ... using x=r and x= -r as limits

simplified down to 2pi * [rx] = 2pi * 2r^2 = 4pi r^2

I cheated a bit and used the limits 2r and 0, is this acceptable?

Also k=4/9M guys?
Original post by Pascal678
I cheated a bit and used the limits 2r and 0, is this acceptable?

Also k=4/9M guys?

1. Nope, I should imagine they'll dock marks for that as the circle doesn't actually pass through 2r :P. Let me guess, you used π\pi instead of 2π2\pi for the integral? Although it was a half rotation it was a full circle they were rotating, so for the function (which is only defined above the x axis), this is equivalent to a whole rotation.
2. Yeah :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending