The Student Room Group

FP 1 Complex numbers

Given that 2 + 3i is the root of the equation z^4 +40 z + k =0 find the value if k and write down another root of the equation

I got k = 39 and then using the factor theorem found -1 and -3 BUT the other factor is 2 - 3i which I do not know how to get.

I would like a pointer please.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maggiehodgson
Given that 2 + 3i is the root of the equation z^4 +40 z + k =0 find the value if k and write down another root of the equation

I got k = 39 and then using the factor theorem found -1 and -3 BUT the other factor is 2 - 3i which I do not know how to get.

Whenever a complex number is the root of a polynomial, its complex conjugate will also be a root. This means that if a+bi is a root, a-bi will also be a root. In this case, since 2+3i is a root, you can immediately say without any working out that 2-3i is also a root because of the complex conjugate rule.
Reply 2
Original post by maggiehodgson

Have another look through your textbook :smile:

You should have a statement which tells you that if a polynomial equation has real coefficients then any complex roots occur in conjugate pairs, i.e. if a + ib is a root then so is a - ib.
Original post by Chlorophile
Whenever a complex number is the root of a polynomial, its complex conjugate will also be a root. This means that if a+bi is a root, a-bi will also be a root.

This is only true when the polynomial has real coefficients.

It's fairly clear that it can't be true in general, since we can always form a polynomial such as:

f(z)=(zi)(z1)=z2(1+i)z+if(z)=(z-i)(z-1) = z^2-(1+i)z+i

whose roots are *not* complex conjugates.

In this case, since 2+3i is a root, you can immediately say without any working out that 2-3i is also a root because of the complex conjugate rule.

because the polynomial in question has real coefficients.
Whenever a complex number is the root of a polynomial, its complex conjugate will also be a root. This means that if a+bi is a root, a-bi will also be a root. In this case, since 2+3i is a root, you can immediately say without any working out that 2-3i is also a root because of the complex conjugate rule.

Thanks

I must've missed that in my text book.
Original post by davros
Have another look through your textbook :smile:

You should have a statement which tells you that if a polynomial equation has real coefficients then any complex roots occur in conjugate pairs, i.e. if a + ib is a root then so is a - ib.

Thank you. I've found a statement to that effect now. I mustn't have taken it in properly first time through.
Original post by atsruser

It's fairly clear that it can't be true in general, since we can always form a polynomial such as:

Thank you for that extra bit. That is also in my text book but when the co-efficients are at not real the solution has not been provided at this point in time but I will look out for it.

From the title, you can see that this question is about FP1. What you're saying is absolutely correct but all polynomial equations in FP1 have real coefficients so the OP doesn't really need to worry about this :smile:
From the title, you can see that this question is about FP1. What you're saying is absolutely correct but all polynomial equations in FP1 have real coefficients so the OP doesn't really need to worry about this :smile:

I disagree, for a couple of reasons.

1. As it stands, the claim that you made earlier is simply incorrect, and liable to mislead anyone reading it at some later time.

This is because you didn't limit its scope to polynomial equations used in FP1, except rather weakly by context. Even if you had done so, that's not particularly useful since it puts the onus on the reader to find out the nature of polynomial equations used in FP1, even assuming that they happen to notice the context.

Someone chancing across your statement from the USA, for example, isn't in a good position to do so. It's always better in mathematics to make a precise and unambiguous statement.

2. The OP really does need to worry about it.

That's because it is an examinable part of the syllabus, and the examiners are quite at liberty to ask questions based on this fact. For example, I can imagine something like the following coming up:

"No complex conjugate pairs appear in the set of roots of the polynomial equation f(z) = 0, though it does have at least one complex root. Explain briefly why the coefficients of f(z) are not all real."

It would not be possible to answer this without knowledge of this fact, and a little bit of logic.

1. As it stands, the claim that you made earlier is simply incorrect, and liable to mislead anyone reading it at some later time.

This is because you didn't limit its scope to polynomial equations used in FP1, except rather weakly by context. Even if you had done so, that's not particularly useful since it puts the onus on the reader to find out the nature of polynomial equations used in FP1, even assuming that they happen to notice the context.

Someone chancing across your statement from the USA, for example, isn't in a good position to do so. It's always better in mathematics to make a precise and unambiguous statement.

That's because it is an examinable part of the syllabus, and the examiners are quite at liberty to ask questions based on this fact. For example, I can imagine something like the following coming up:

"No complex conjugate pairs appear in the set of roots of the polynomial equation f(z) = 0, though it does have at least one complex root. Explain briefly why the coefficients of f(z) are not all real."

It would not be possible to answer this without knowledge of this fact, and a little bit of logic.

Are you sure this is in the syllabus? Could you show me where it says that? (I'm not disagreeing that we should be rigorous in our definitions!)
Original post by rayquaza17
Are you sure this is in the syllabus? Could you show me where it says that? (I'm not disagreeing that we should be rigorous in our definitions!)

It's in the OCR FP1 syllabus, and presumably in the syllabus of whichever board the OP is studying from.

From the OCR syllabus, Complex Numbers section:

"(c) use the result that, for a polynomial equation with real coefficients, any non-real roots occur in conjugate pairs;"

That question would not be able to appear in FP1. I have gone through the Edexcel, AQA and OCR specifications and in none of them does it mention anything about having to know that the conjugate pair rule does not stand if the coefficients are not real. The line you quoted from the OCR specification, does not support what you're saying. The fact that it only talks about polynomial equations with real coefficients shows that you are never going to be asked a question about polynomial equations with imaginary coefficients. I accept your point that it might be of interest to other people, but it's just nonsense to claim that a polynomial with imaginary coefficients would come up in an FP1 exam.

Thanks for the heads up on what to NOT expect in FP1. Slowly, slowly suits me fine.

OOps That's gone over my head. But I'm a beginner so I'll hang on.

Thanks
That question would not be able to appear in FP1. I have gone through the Edexcel, AQA and OCR specifications and in none of them does it mention anything about having to know that the conjugate pair rule does not stand if the coefficients are not real. The line you quoted from the OCR specification, does not support what you're saying. The fact that it only talks about polynomial equations with real coefficients shows that you are never going to be asked a question about polynomial equations with imaginary coefficients. I accept your point that it might be of interest to other people, but it's just nonsense to claim that a polynomial with imaginary coefficients would come up in an FP1 exam.

Relief
That question would not be able to appear in FP1.

That's a pretty bold claim. It's a question that certainly is not disallowed by the wording of the spec. How can you be so certain?

I have gone through the Edexcel, AQA and OCR specifications and in none of them does it mention anything about having to know that the conjugate pair rule does not stand if the coefficients are not real.

That is not a good way of deciding whether or not a question is possible. There are going to be an infinite number of pieces of information that a spec does not mention.

The line you quoted from the OCR specification, does not support what you're saying.

I beg to differ. The example question that I posted requires a combination of knowledge of the statement of the spec. that I quoted, plus the ability to recast it in contrapositive form. This is well within the scope of a A* question in further maths.

The fact that it only talks about polynomial equations with real coefficients shows that you are never going to be asked a question about polynomial equations with imaginary coefficients. I accept your point that it might be of interest to other people, but it's just nonsense to claim that a polynomial with imaginary coefficients would come up in an FP1 exam.

Well, I disagree, since there are many ways that a question with imaginary coefficients can "come up", and I've already given an example of one above. Here's another that is consistent with the wording of the OCR spec:

"Write down the value of aa given that the roots of z3(6+ai)z2+13z10=0z^3-(6+ai)z^2+13z-10=0 are 2,2i,2+i2,2-i,2+i"

If you feel that is inconsistent with the spec, then I'm keen to hear your reasoning. it's (ostensibly) a polynomial with complex coefficients, but the answer will be entirely obvious to anyone who understands the statement in the OCR spec, and is able to "use the result", to quote their words.

I beg to differ. The example question that I posted requires a combination of knowledge of the statement of the spec. that I quoted, plus the ability to recast it in contrapositive form. This is well within the scope of a A* question in further maths.

A* questions in FP1?

It's in the OCR FP1 syllabus, and presumably in the syllabus of whichever board the OP is studying from.

From the OCR syllabus, Complex Numbers section:

"(c) use the result that, for a polynomial equation with real coefficients, any non-real roots occur in conjugate pairs;"

Based on this, I think that it would be fair if:
I

was asked! This question would test you on the understanding of the method you are using.
Original post by rayquaza17
A* questions in FP1?

Oh OK. Let's say "a more challenging question" then.

Based on this, I think that it would be fair if:

was asked! This question would test you on the understanding of the method you are using.

I personally see no reason why such a question could not arise. However, I don't write the questions for OCR, so I can't be definitive. It would seem to be a perfectly sensible with which to test understanding of the material.

I suspect that there is far too much literal spec. reading that goes on. This may be why we hear stories of teary-eyed youngsters emerging from their exams, complaining that "the exam didn't look like the past papers" they had done.

If a topic is mentioned in the spec. then any question based on that topic (of the appropriate level of difficulty) may come up, IMHO.
I'm doing, possibly, AQA. That's the book I'm using. Whether or not I go in for the exam has yet to be decided. Davros suggested that an A at A level maths would be the best platform for FP1. Umm. Not sure that I'll manage that but The FP1 book has been fun so far.

The chats you are having between yourselves are totally incomprehensible to me but you fill me with awe. Please continue.
That's a pretty bold claim. It's a question that certainly is not disallowed by the wording of the spec. How can you be so certain?

That is not a good way of deciding whether or not a question is possible. There are going to be an infinite number of pieces of information that a spec does not mention.

Well, I disagree, since there are many ways that a question with imaginary coefficients can "come up", and I've already given an example of one above. Here's another that is consistent with the wording of the OCR spec:

"Write down the value of aa given that the roots of z3(6+ai)z2+13z10=0z^3-(6+ai)z^2+13z-10=0 are 2,2i,2+i2,2-i,2+i"

If you feel that is inconsistent with the spec, then I'm keen to hear your reasoning. it's (ostensibly) a polynomial with complex coefficients, but the answer will be entirely obvious to anyone who understands the statement in the OCR spec, and is able to "use the result", to quote their words.

With all due respect, I don't think you understand how specifications work. Specifications detail everything that could come up - if something is not in the specification, it isn't going to come up. The specifications make absolutely no note of anything to do with polynomial equations with complex coefficients, so they are not going to come up. These are A Level exams, not STEP papers. A Level exams are not creative and they do not test a student's ability to think creatively and beyond what has been obviously presented to them in a textbook. If a question has not been alluded to in the textbook, it's not going to come up in the exam. I'm not saying that somebody who has a thorough understanding of the specification wouldn't be able to answer that question, I'm saying that it is not in the nature of these exams to have a question like that.

Quick Reply

Latest