The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yl95
Swansea's quite low considering the fact that you're applying to Cambridge. Have you considered universities such as Imperial and UCL?

I wouldn't really like to be in London... Also I heard very bad things about Imperial's social life. On the other hand UCL seems awesome, but does not offer Materials Science.
Hi all,
Ahead of our open day this Saturday we will be holding a Twitter Takeover this week! Our current students are taking hold of our twitter feed so you can ask them any questions! Courses, Student Life, Accommodation, anything!

If you would like to ask any questions, or just chat to current students use the hashtag #TakeOverKU on Wednesday 24th September 4-6pm.

What are you waiting for?! Get tweeting!
Original post by Summit
I wouldn't really like to be in London... Also I heard very bad things about Imperial's social life. On the other hand UCL seems awesome, but does not offer Materials Science.

Imperial's social life is what you make of it; I'll soon find out what it's like when I'm there (I'm moving in on the 4th). Sure, you'll have a lot of your typical nerds but there are so many other people who aren't like that!
To me it would depend on the selection criteria for example if I have to do a maths test where you have to answer 40 questions in 20 mins then they are not counted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Greetings to all, I'm thinking chemical engineering at the following:
Bath
Surrey
Newcastle
Swansea
Aston
Hoping bath cause i live there so way cheaper for me but the night life is laughable in bath but Bristol is close so i could always go out in Bristol :colone:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alotties
I study Chemistry at Hull currently (about to start 2nd year) if you have any questions. Chemistry at Hull is really good, so don't let anyone discourage you from applying if you like the idea of it (I applied to a few russell group unis and enjoyed Hull a lot more).

Then actually I have few questions!

Personally what did you enjoy the most about the course?
How varied are the optional modules?
Are the academics helpful?
What are the labs like?
Could you give me a brief idea of what your timetable for the 1st year was like?
And generally what do you think of the university, compared to Russell Group unis?

Also, are you possibly doing a year in industry, because I have a question about that as well.

Sorry, for all those questions, but I'm really undecided about which uni to choose! Thank you in advance for your reply :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
lol unbelievable how small time this thread makes me feel, oxbridge in like every post
Original post by SteBrazier95
lol unbelievable how small time this thread makes me feel, oxbridge in like every post

Certainly not me!!! What unis are thinking of applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 428
Hi everyone,

I recently created a site that gives entry requirements for a range of university courses in the UK - I hope it helps!

http://www.entryrequirements.com/

Thanks!
Original post by Cutiepatootie175
Thaaat a never good? But if you didn't put in 100% and still got C's imagine what you could do with motivation! Yeah the teachers may be a bit sour but you know talk to them
Explain yourself and explain (as show them) how dedicated you are now and how you're going to do well and they may change their perspective slightly.

Thanks! I'm hoping to do psychology at the University of surrey!

Ooh nice, good luck! :smile: Thank you, yeah I think I'll have to try and prove myself to them :smile:
Original post by loosiemorgan
I would say talk to them, especially if you're worried that they're not going to give you a 'glowing' reference, they won't give you a bad one but at our school they just word it differently to mention the 'bad' points but not in a too negative way! So if you talk to them at least they'll realise you are thinking about the process and don't have the attitude that nothing can be done, because just going to talk to them anyway they'll know that you are thinking about what it requires etc.
As you've said you're resitting some so then hopefully by asking your teachers they could predict one grade above? ie. you got a C this time, you're gonna resit so you're going to aim to get a B so if they believe you that you're gonna try harder they might give you it - maybe not the one where you were one off a D, I'd say they might still predict you a C but the others might be able to go up and you can apply to ones higher than you're predicted so if you're predicted BBC I'd say you could apply for the ABB you really want :biggrin: and you're better two would be politics and history which are directly related to what you want to do which is good :biggrin:
I obviously don't know for sure how many offers they give to those predicted lower but you might as well try if it's your favourite :biggrin: hope that longggg answer helped! :tongue:

Thank you!! :3 Unfortunately I got one of my politics papers remarked and dropped 5 marks, which brought my overall grade down from a C to a D, and now I can't get predicted a B :frown: I was SO mad. I literally paid £46 to NOT go to the university I wanted! Thanks examiner, I hope you're happy :mad:

I'm going to resit, but it'll look terrible trying to apply for a politics course with a damn D in it! I believe my predicted grades are BCC...hopefully I can do better than that though. My politics teacher was really sorry for me and suggested I do a business BTEC to bring up my UCAS points and he'd predict me a Distinction in it so hopefully I can do that :smile:
So maybe BBB ones may still be possible!

I talked to a few of my teachers and it doesn't seem like their references will be as bad as I thought...I mean the school does want good statistics so I guess it makes sense haha. But yeah, I guess I'll just have to show them that I can work harder! :biggrin:
Original post by sourlemon
Thank you!! :3 Unfortunately I got one of my politics papers remarked and dropped 5 marks, which brought my overall grade down from a C to a D, and now I can't get predicted a B :frown: I was SO mad. I literally paid £46 to NOT go to the university I wanted! Thanks examiner, I hope you're happy :mad:

Damm!! I really feel for you! that sucks but if you were going to resit it anyway I suppose it's okay. if you dont get the offers you want this time you could always wait until next year then youd hopefully have the higher AS you want as well as the overall A2 to then apply to more, or you could potencially go through adjustment :biggrin:
Reply 432
Hi All, I'm going to apply to the following courses:
1. Oxford - E&M
2. Warwick - Economics and Industrial Organization
3. Durham - Economics with Management
4. St Andrews - E&M
5. a safe choice

How would you guys rank these four I mentioned? Also, I'd love to here your experiences, if you happen to study one of these, or either Economics or Business/Management at these unis.

podzso
I really need need to start narrowing down those unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone put in an application already?
Original post by Cutiepatootie175
Has anyone put in an application already?

I have! Well sent it my referee :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've sent it off to my referee
Applying for History with A*AA predicted grades
I have applied to kings warwick birmingham Southampton and royal holloway
Original post by Cammybl
I have! Well sent it my referee :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you applying to Oxbridge why have you been allowed to send your application so early? (I'm not)

I have almost finished my personal statement although cutting it down is going to be very hard.
Original post by kingdoo
Are you applying to Oxbridge why have you been allowed to send your application so early? (I'm not)

I have almost finished my personal statement although cutting it down is going to be very hard.

Yup (Oxford) but I'm not going to be heartbroken if I don't get an offer, not sure really however I sent it off because it's one less thing to worry about!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Magnus Taylor
I've sent it off to my referee
Applying for History with A*AA predicted grades
I have applied to kings warwick birmingham Southampton and royal holloway

I haven't even finished my personal statement yet :O
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending