The Student Room Group

2 soft a levels with a strong one

is my choice to take a-level sociology, law and english lit good? i want to study internationally in Canada in a top uni but i don’t know if they will view my a-level choices as weak. pls help
have you looked at their entrance requirements for this uni? I'm pretty sure law and english lit are regarded as strong a levels. I saw on a list somewhere that english lit was arguably one of the harder a levels. It also depends on the course you're wanting to do, i think.
Original post by yamaaa
is my choice to take a-level sociology, law and english lit good? i want to study internationally in Canada in a top uni but i don’t know if they will view my a-level choices as weak. pls help

'Soft A levels' as an idea was done away with in about 2015. It's a really old-fashioned idea. Where do you get this stuff from?!

Whether or not those choices are OK depends: if you're applying for medicine, then they're terrible. If you want to do a humanities-based subject, then they're probably going to be fine.

Missing information means you can't get a useful answer to your inquiry :smile:
In the UK "soft A levels" hasn't been a thing since the last century. You'll have to check whether Canadian universities have a list of preferred and non-preferred subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by cherryblossomed
have you looked at their entrance requirements for this uni? I'm pretty sure law and english lit are regarded as strong a levels. I saw on a list somewhere that english lit was arguably one of the harder a levels. It also depends on the course you're wanting to do, i think.

the uni i want to study at is the university of toronto and the only entry requirements are 5 gcse’s and 3 a-levels. it doesn’t specify what a-levels or the grades needed at those a-levels. thank youu!
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
'Soft A levels' as an idea was done away with in about 2015. It's a really old-fashioned idea. Where do you get this stuff from?!

Whether or not those choices are OK depends: if you're applying for medicine, then they're terrible. If you want to do a humanities-based subject, then they're probably going to be fine.

Missing information means you can't get a useful answer to your inquiry :smile:

I want to study law at uni. Thank you, this has really reassured me!
All of them are strong essay based subjects and really complement each other, so rest assured
Original post by yamaaa
I want to study law at uni. Thank you, this has really reassured me!

No problem :smile: These choices are absolutely fine - in fact, very sensible - choices for law.
yeah, i think you'll be okay for law in terms of subjects. just get the grades and you'll be fine. :smile:
Original post by yamaaa

Heya!
Those choices should be fine for law in Canada unless they list specific or recommended a-levels which I'm not sure if they do, you'll have to check them on the website but it seems like as you said earlier it should be fine :h:

Good luck!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by cherryblossomed

I agree
Reply 11
Original post by yamaaa

Sociology isn’t considered a soft a level for law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending