The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ellie1257
I'm definitely applying to Sheffield and Nottingham and possibly Manchester. I loved Sheffield it's between that and Bristol for my top choice at the moment. The course flexibility was great, everyone was friendly and I liked the campus, only problem was that the accommodation is quite far away so you have to get the bus in every morning.

Nottingham again had an amazing campus and a great atmosphere but the course seemed a bit fluffy, if I get an offer I would consider it as an insurance offer. On the plus side the accommodation is cheap and on campus so no travel costs.

I don't know what it was about Manchester it just didn't feel right. The students seemed to be more focused on going out and didn't seem to care about their degree. It's the only open day I've been to where there haven't been lecturers to talk to and they haven't let you see any labs.

Hope this helps a bit :smile:

That actually helped a lot so thanks.
Define 'fluffy' though please. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abzey_97
That actually helped a lot so thanks.
Define 'fluffy' though please. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It didn't seem as focused as the other courses, perhaps they just didn't go into as much detail as I would have liked, but I would say that it wasn't particularly refined in comparison to other courses.
It didn't seem as focused as the other courses, perhaps they just didn't go into as much detail as I would have liked, but I would say that it wasn't particularly refined in comparison to other courses.

Ohhhh ok. Now I understand the connotation. I am trying to do as much research as I can because I know that the uni I will go to, hopefully, will shape me as a person. All about making the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhhh ok. Now I understand the connotation. I am trying to do as much research as I can because I know that the uni I will go to, hopefully, will shape me as a person. All about making the right choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a good idea, what are you hoping to study?
Sounds like a good idea, what are you hoping to study?

Civil engineering, and you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Civil engineering, and you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biochemistry, good luck with wherever you end up applying to :smile:
Biochemistry, good luck with wherever you end up applying to :smile:

Thanks and you too !!!:yy::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks and you too !!!:yy::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! :biggrin:
International Relations/IR with quantitative methods

Edinburgh
St. Andrews
KCL
LSE
Reply 589
Hi guys, an international applicants here from Asia.

Biochemistry
Oxford (hahahahaha)
Imperial
Bristol
KCL

Having a hard time picking between (below) for fifth choices
- Edinburgh
- Bath
- Manchester
- Warwick

Important aspects to me would be the nightlife, accommodation and availability of financial aid for international student.
Any good suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by ethh

Biochemistry
Oxford (hahahahaha)
Imperial
Bristol
KCL

- Edinburgh
- Bath
- Manchester
- Warwick

Important aspects to me would be the nightlife, accommodation and availability of financial aid for international student.
Any good suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

I would research more because I know (as an international applicant myself) that UK schools do not give financial aid to international students, at least North American students. I would check to see because if financial aid is setting you're relying on, the UK might not be the best option for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm the first in my branch of the family to go to uni - cousins and aunts etc have been but my parents and grandparents haven't. I almost wish my parents were clueless about uni, it would put a lot less pressure on me :tongue: Wishful thinking...
Original post by iloveteddy14
Social Work 2015 entry

Yes
LSBU
UEA
Goldsmith
Essex uni

Maybe
Kingston
Canterbury
UEL
Grenwich
London Met
Havering

No
Anglia Ruskin

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

It's great that you're considering Kingston! Did you know we have an Open Day this Saturday? I'm Chloe a second year Student Ambassador at Kingston while you can ask me any questions about general university life our Open Days are a great to speak to staff about the course.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
Original post by ethh

Biochemistry
Oxford (hahahahaha)
Imperial
Bristol
KCL

- Edinburgh
- Bath
- Manchester
- Warwick

Any good suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

I would have to say either Manchester or Edinburgh.
Both amazing cities. I have spent a lot more time in Edinburgh personally as my dad lives there. A fantastic mix of old and new, and a LOT of culture. Manchester was gorgeous. Both are renowned for nightlife.
Accommodation at both was VERY reasonable - from 80ppw at Edinburgh for standard sgl shared bathroom/kitchen self catered right in the centre of town and from 90ppw for the same at Manchester.
Both have a hugely diverse student body but I couldn't comment on financial aid as I don't know enough about it.
I personally didn't like the feel of Bath at all. But then I don't particularly love campus universities.
Hope this helps and will answer any more questions (I know much more about Edinburgh :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JayDu
At A-level? English lit, language and sociology. You? :smile:

I meant at uni! Haha, I'm doing CH English lit and Philosophy:smile:
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
I'm applying for languages too! Albeit German....I'm applying to Durham and Leeds too, good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you as well! I was considering German :smile:
Reply 596
Original post by libertinegirl96
I meant at uni! Haha, I'm doing CH English lit and Philosophy:smile:

Of course :wink: I'm just going for Single Honours English Literature!
Original post by JayDu
Of course :wink: I'm just going for Single Honours English Literature!

Sounds good! All this uni stuff is so stressful haha.
Original post by Ratach
No problem dude, the advice here was really helpful last year, so I try to return the favour :smile: You got 29 on a mock LNAT test? That's brilliant! What's good or not will depend on how well your peers will perform in your particular year, but most universities' cutoff has been no more than 21 (KCL's policy last year did not apply to UK/EU students) so if you also score around that in the real thing you should be golden :smile: .

Haha, i'll remember for when (if) I get into uni! :tongue: Really? We got scorecards back and out of those who did it (on the day) the best was 31, the average 23.5 and the lowest was 10, so I am pleased with 29 in that sense.

I was told by an Oxford Tutor at New College that they expect people to get around 30!?
Reply 599
Original post by libertinegirl96
Sounds good! All this uni stuff is so stressful haha.

I've enjoyed writing the personal statement though ahha!

Latest

Trending

Trending