The Student Room Group

Women cry sexism to protect their privilege

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sk900
Women are the most privileged in society and always been.

Just because you are not the leader does not mean you are not privilege.
There have always been laws and rules to protect women even at the expense of men.

When the titanic sank, women were privileged, women's lives were saved over men. Males are seen as expendable, why do you think millions of boys are sent to war and die to protect the resources women enjoy.

Even today, women are still more privileged than men from education, criminal courts, family courts, housing, health.

Despite all the privilege women have, you constantly hear them crying sexism, this is done to protect their privilege, and portraying themselves as victims is the best way to hold on to that privilege.

Notwithstanding the worrying lack of historical knowledge in the OP's post (for example, the fact that there were probably more women who died in childbirth than men who died in battle in most relatively non-militaristic societies), it is undeniably true that men are vastly more at risk of various things in this country compared with women, most notably violent death, which you'd think would merit a little more attention given the fact that a third of domestic violence is against men, and probably a similar amount of sexual assaults, plus 80% of murders.

There is a big problem with sexual violence against women in developing countries, but women in developed countries have several major advantages in the statistics that make sexism seem rather more complicated than feminists make out: woman are more likely to get help for mental health problems, less likely to commit suicide, less likely to die violently, longer life expectancy, MUCH more likely to be taken seriously in sexual harassment and assault cases, on average better qualified and with lower rates of unemployment, and a lower rate of imprisonment.
Original post by Copperknickers
There is a big problem with sexual violence against women in developing countries, but women in developed countries have several major advantages in the statistics that make sexism seem rather more complicated than feminists make out: woman are more likely to get help for mental health problems, less likely to commit suicide, less likely to die violently, longer life expectancy, MUCH more likely to be taken seriously in sexual harassment and assault cases, on average better qualified and with lower rates of unemployment, and a lower rate of imprisonment.

I seriously hope people will start to put sources before they talk about figures, because honestly most of the time you just make them up.

Here's one of the last reports of the European Institute for Gender Equality, atm adressing statistics for domestic violence:

http://imagenes.publico-estaticos.es/resources/archivos/2013/4/17/1366206304893Violence%20against%20Women%20Victim%20Support%20Report.pdf

Women are prevalent victims of domestic violence. Only 25% of German women declare domestic violence, whereas in Belgium, such percentage only reaches 20%. It doesn't mean that domestic violence only reaches such amounts - many women don't press charges at all.

The percentage of women that assure that they have been victims of physical and/or sexual violence from their partners is around 52% in Denmark, 47% in Finland and 46% in Sweden. These countries are well known for being very open-minded and sensitive around the issue, which explains why they have such high statistics compared with other cases:

Poland (19%)
Austria (20%
Cyprus (22%)
Croatia (21%)
Spain (22%)

I can tell you at least in the Spanish case, this is due to many women feeling embarassed about their situation and/or not knowing what to do if they were to leave their homes. Every now and then, they get killed.

Women from the Netherlands, France and UK (45%) have declared that they have been victims of domestic physical violence at least once during their lifetime.

According to VAW records in 2005, 28.4% of UK women declared to have suffered physical and/or sexual abuse during their lifetime, 18.9% only physical:

http://www.endvawnow.org/uploads/browser/files/vaw_prevalence_matrix_15april_2011.pdf

What I meant to say is that it's not only an issue of developing countries, it's quite a big issue in the "developed world" too. These constant hate threads against women only prove it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EULawguy
I seriously hope people will start to put sources before they talk about figures, because honestly most of the time you just make them up.

You're absolutely right, people should always post their sources in threads like this. But I certainly didn't make any up, excepting a couple which I have seen in the past and couldn't remember where so just put down what I thought I remembered. (though I'm pretty sure they're correct within 10 percent or so.)

a third of domestic violence is against men,

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/abuse/Pages/domestic-violence-against-men.aspx
(that's in the UK, I couldn't find the source I used but I believe it was for Europe as a whole and was slightly higher)

and probably a similar amount of sexual assaults,
http://endsexualviolence.org/where-we-stand/male-victims
(again, couldn't find the exact source, but taking into account the amount of men who don't report it this should be at least doubled).

plus 80% of murders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_crime#cite_note-9
(77 percent, big difference)

woman are more likely to get help for mental health problems, less likely to commit suicide, less likely to die violently, longer life expectancy, MUCH more likely to be taken seriously in sexual harassment and assault cases, on average better qualified and with lower rates of unemployment, and a lower rate of imprisonment.

These are all pretty well known, but please tell me if you doubt any of them and I'll find you the source I used.

What I meant to say is that it's not only an issue of developing countries, it's quite a big issue in the "developed world" too. These constant hate threads against women only prove it.

How do you work that one out? The reason there are hate threads against women is because feminism has explicitly drawn the battle lines against men, and fails to understand basic facts of biology.

Quick Reply

Latest