The Student Room Group

The Great Gatsby and/or A Streetcar Named Desire

i’m writing my english NEA about how women are presented in those two texts and i need to include a bit about authorial intent. why does Fitzgerald and Williams present Daisy and Stella as they are? why do they present them as single faceted and without dimension? (i.e. they are fixated on their own ideal of a happy marriage) is it to criticise society? or to make a point about how women should behave? or …?
Reply 1
i've only done Gatsby so I can't help you with Streetcar (sorry!). Here are some notes i made on 2 quotes which show that daisy is 2 best quotes to show that daisy is an allegorical critique of 1920s behaviour towards women

“That’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool” - Daisy is not a fool herself but is the product of a social environment that, to a great extent, does not value intelligence in women she conforms to the social standard of American femininity in the 1920s in order to avoid tension

“Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily” “i’ve never seen such - such beautiful shirts before” - why is daisy crying? could show that daisy is vacuous + materialistic. Could be that daisy is crying in hindsight, because she realised that gatsby would be able to take care of her but, i don’t think that daisy really loves gatsby (in the way that gatsby loves daisy) - she likes him because he’s a tool to exact revenge on Tom. the real reason why she cries is because she is made aware of her role in society. She is expected to be materialistic, to embrace wealth + extravagance and to fawn at gatsby’s opulence. This is what makes her cry. She does not like the dumb role she is expected to fulfil, but it is obvious that everyone expects her to fulfil it

I really hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by aloevera4
i've only done Gatsby so I can't help you with Streetcar (sorry!). Here are some notes i made on 2 quotes which show that daisy is 2 best quotes to show that daisy is an allegorical critique of 1920s behaviour towards women

“That’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool” - Daisy is not a fool herself but is the product of a social environment that, to a great extent, does not value intelligence in women she conforms to the social standard of American femininity in the 1920s in order to avoid tension

“Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily” “i’ve never seen such - such beautiful shirts before” - why is daisy crying? could show that daisy is vacuous + materialistic. Could be that daisy is crying in hindsight, because she realised that gatsby would be able to take care of her but, i don’t think that daisy really loves gatsby (in the way that gatsby loves daisy) - she likes him because he’s a tool to exact revenge on Tom. the real reason why she cries is because she is made aware of her role in society. She is expected to be materialistic, to embrace wealth + extravagance and to fawn at gatsby’s opulence. This is what makes her cry. She does not like the dumb role she is expected to fulfil, but it is obvious that everyone expects her to fulfil it

I really hope this helps :smile:

That does help thank you! It is really smart to way she only acts this way to avoid tension, that she does have the ability to choose for herself but never does in fear of being criticised, and supports how she values her status and money!

secondly, where is that quote from in the book (second bullet point)? i really love the point you made on "she likes him because he’s a tool to exact revenge on Tom" i never thought abou about it hat way!! another great example of her using her smarts to enforce what she wants but untimately stays within lines society has drawn for her! it also enforces the idea of an underlying conflict between Tom and Daisy! (i might use that point if thats okay with you!) Thanks!!
Reply 3
Although, what is the actual function of Daisy/ Stella's character? whats the point of them? what are the authors trying to achieve in presenting them this way?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending