The Student Room Group

Does 'Britishness' need to be taught in schools? #trojanhorse If so, what is it?

Scroll to see replies

Only if one is also taught that these ostensibly essential 'British' attributes are actually pretty arbitrary and socially constructed and in many cases are actually pretty pernicious.
Original post by R+G are dead
It's absolutely not a good thing; the things you listed as values above aren't exclusively British, they're just good human values to have, and frankly I don't think it's exclusively the government's job to try and teach children those values (although governments should obviously do their utmost to uphold them).

The fact that you mentioned 'British history' also leads to my next concern; as a undergraduate history student as of next year I can't help seeing history as an exceedingly easy target on which to base nationalist propaganda (which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but usually has undesireable consequences; a bit like communism, which a great idea if it would work but it's usually just too susceptible to corruption). There's always an infinite number of different angles to look at historical events, and more often than not one angle can't be proved to be any more accurate than the other (mainly due to the necessary existence of opinion in history, and the sheer amount of factual material meaning we always have to choose what to focus on). So I think there's a danger of governments making an excuse to portray British history in rosy absolutes (instead of the factual and moral grey area the subject actually is) by showing how Britain developed these 'special' values, just like they quite recently tried to do when they called for more British history to be taught in schools (to the exclusion of the history of other cultures, or international history).

I respect your opinion, yet disagree.
Yes and I think ethnic minority schools should be gone who knows what happened behind closed doors, if there is a supposed legal system which applies to all, there should be a single schooling system, where British values are taught, either in comprehensive schools or private schools but no ethnic minority schools
Yeah and the curriculum should be much more pro-monarchy too instead of always bumming India and the 3rd world.
We should be inculcating an appreciation for the West and all that it has done for humanity. It should be seen as politically incorrect to demonise the West and it should be seen as traitorous to defend political Islam (well, it is), in the same way that it is seen as traitorous to defend Fascism or the divine right of Kings. Allegations of schools teaching Islamism should be treated as seriously as allegations of schools teaching Nazism. All state schools should be secular and not promote any religious view. If people want to be indoctrinated with nonsense, they should at least have to pay for it themselves. (N.b.: my objection to faith schools is not because I think that most people who run them are extremists - they are not - my objection is that they are teaching people nonsense.)

We should not call Western values "British". They are not the property of Britain. Regardless of which country you happen to live in, you as a human being deserve freedom. Therefore what we should be promoting is pluralism within a framework of liberal democracy. Once that is established, a rich culture can develop and maintain itself automatically, with no state interference. Teaching of "British values" just stinks of totalitarian agitprop; something you might see in the Soviet Union (although in that case they would be anti-British values :wink:).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WitnessMO
No,the fact that we don't teach Britishness, is in fact British enough. Being British is about being democratic, diverse and accepting. People should have the freedom to follow whatever culture they desire.

I agree. I love accepting fascists, religious fundamentalists and racists! What a great country we have :h:
Original post by CryptoidAlien
'Diverse and accepting' basically shows Britishness is nothing more of a yes man for all the worlds cultures and people in your opinion, that's idiocy. What a False sense of responsibility if there ever was one.

Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I agree. I love accepting fascists, religious fundamentalists and racists! What a great country we have :h:

Only a fraction of people are fascists, fundamentalists and racist because of they are different culture. You can have ethnically white British people also holding racist and fascist views. I believe when people of different cultures mix they can absorb some off each others values including the British ideas of equality, freedom and open mindedness.
Only a fraction of people are fascists, fundamentalists and racist because of they are different culture. You can have ethnically white British people also holding racist and fascist views. I believe when people of different cultures mix they can absorb some off each others values including the British ideas of equality, freedom and open mindedness.

I didn't specify where said fascists come from. A fascist is a fascist. I want you to convince me why I should tolerate fascism as a mart of our multicultural way of life.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I didn't specify where said fascists come from. A fascist is a fascist. I want you to convince me why I should tolerate fascism as a mart of our multicultural way of life.

What cultures promote fascism? Most cultures do not. Anyway, I think being British is about tolerating other cultures so far as they do not go against the law and threaten others. Fascism doesn't agree with the democratic laws of this land.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa
I think the vast majority of people know what British culture is, without needing to be taught it and without necessarily being able to articulate it.

The issue is that many Muslims in this country see themselves as Muslim first and foremost, and identify more with fellow Muslims than with fellow Brits. This is why there were protests against Rushdie in this country after the Fatwa was issued against him, why Lee Rigby was killed, and why several Muslims are now going to fight in Syria.

There is no easy way to tackle this issue, but banning faith schools, deporting hate preachers and not allowing those fighting in Syria to ever return would be a good start.

Several?! hundreds have gone and fyi most of them have no intention of coming back...and good for themhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2659237/More-Brits-signing-fight-jihadist-militants-Iraq-Syria-UK-Army-Reserve.html
Original post by Bunny124
How does a bunch of very unintegrated people who attempted to spread very outdated values in schools constitute a plot to continue "the war on terror"?

A lot of people will look at this story and use it as way of confirming their own prejudices regarding Muslims. In short, stories like this (which may or may not be entirely true) help to perpetuate negative stereotypes about Muslims.

Also, people might find this article interesting:

http://myriamfrancoiscerrah.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/aje-what-are-camerons-british-values/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iammeyouareyou
A lot of people will look at this story and use it as way of confirming their own prejudices regarding Muslims. In short, stories like this (which may or may not be entirely true) help to perpetuate negative stereotypes about Muslims.

And what do you suggest we do about it? Should we censor the story to prevent anyone drawing false conclusions about Muslims?
I very clearly saw you doing the exact same thing in the "Student murdered for being Muslim" topic.

People draw false conclusions every day, including you. Why should Muslims receive such special protection, which other groups do not receive?

I imagine you wouldn't have been very happy if the "Student murdered for being Muslim" story had been censored to stop people from drawing false conclusions about non-muslims.

*Note - this is assuming she was even killed by a non Muslim, which has not even been proven.
Schools should be used to provide children with knowledge, not to indoctrinate them.
Original post by Bunny124
And what do you suggest we do about it? Should we censor the story to prevent anyone drawing false conclusions about Muslims?
I very clearly saw you doing the exact same thing in the "Student murdered for being Muslim" topic.

People draw false conclusions every day, including you. Why should Muslims receive such special protection, which other groups do not receive?

I imagine you wouldn't have been very happy if the "Student murdered for being Muslim" story had been censored to stop people from drawing false conclusions about non-muslims.

*Note - this is assuming she was even killed by a non Muslim, which has not even been proven.

The reason I drew a 'false conclusion' in that thread was to illustrate the exact same thing that happens to Muslims on a daily basis. The whole point in my post was to be misguided. I am fully aware of the possibility that the perp could have been anyone.

The difference is that I'm not going to dislike or hate white people or non-Muslims based on one story or even 100 stories. I doubt you and members of your family suffer any backlash at all for stories like this. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work the other way round.

*Note - this is assuming she was even killed by a non Muslim, which has not even been proven
Original post by iammeyouareyou
Unfortunately, it doesn't always work the other way round.

Of course it does. That topic is full of vitriol from people who want to use the dead as ammunition for their own personal political vendetta. From people who wouldn't have cared about her death if she was a non-Muslim - and use a woman's death as an excuse to dislike non-Muslims. This is confirmation bias.

Be honest here - would you have even bothered posting in that topic if she wasn't a Muslim?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
The only reason that David Cameron is talking about us being more 'evangelical about Britishness' is to try to win back the favour of those who have moved towards UKIP during the current government.
What cultures promote fascism? Most cultures do not. Anyway, I think being British is about tolerating other cultures so far as they do not go against the law and threaten others. Fascism doesn't agree with the democratic laws of this land.

But fascism is a culture. It may not be a culture encouraged by any government but it still is included within multiculturalism.

I think your definition of being British is about being tolerant is an absolute cop out of an answer. It's a government party line answer to try and get people to forget about it's colonial past and also a way of pushing through massive change throughout the country to make it more capitalist.

It also sounds as if you're saying many or every other nation aren't tolerant of other people? I'm not saying we're all the same but if that's the case then why do we let intolerant people into the country?
I would like to see British history taught, we had the biggest empire the world has ever seen and is ever likely to see but so few young english people have a clue about it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with your 2nd paragraph, but am a tad confused about parts of your first para, which don't seem to marry up with the second part of your argument.

It's mainly the term 'traitorous' that worries me slightly; the word suggests to me the idea of straying from an unquestionable (and therefore not democratically gained) loyalty to a particular group or individual. But this is probably/hopefully just me being picky, and not your intended message :smile:.

I don't think we should be 'inculcating' (another worrying term that I think contradicts what you later go on to say about faith schools) an appreciation of what you seem to be saying are the superiority of Western values; every culture makes a mixture of good and bad contributions to the wider world. Your comments about appreciating the Western world do sound a bit like they belong to the 19th Century.

I hope when you say 'Islamism' you mean extremist views that people say they base on their Islamic religion, and not just non-extreme Islamic belief? This is slightly unclear, and as a result the 1st paragraph is in slight danger of sounding like you want to demonise Islam a bit; I agree that no religion should be used and manipulated to further personal or political interests (although all too often it is), but any religion can do this, and the majority of Muslims aren't political extremists, believe it or not! Although I'm also not supportive of schools that actively promote a particular religious view, I think it's fine if those schools give children the opportunity to practice e.g. Islam or Christianity without forcing it on them, and if they make kids aware of the variety of religious (and secular) beliefs out there. By the way I'm not religious, so don't have a vested interest to support faith schools.

When I talk about being a traitor, I am not referring to a group of people, but an idea (or set of ideas). You talk about ideas being democratically decided, but how can this mean anything if the ideas you "democratically" decide involve the overthrowing of (liberal) democracy? By all means allow a diversity of opinion, but if somebody wants to rebuild our society and make it illiberal and undemocratic, that would make them a traitor (precisely because it would nullify that very condition).

Inculcation does not have to be totalitarian, but I do think that our schools should teach people where our free society came from and the dangers that certain ideas pose for it. Good political systems are very much a property of the West, by the way, and that's what I mean by Western values (liberal democracy). Sure, other people throughout history have had similar ideas, but the successful one came from the West (principally Britain and America, but to some extent, France). Also I think you may have misunderstood my point slightly: I don't think the West is superior in every way to other civilisations. But I do think it is superior politically.

Of course, what I mean by Islamism is the political ideology that some people espouse and wish to violently impose on societies. So I'm talking about people like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Osama bin Laden etc. at the most extreme end, and anybody who advocates Sharia law on the other end (that's still pretty extreme though in my view). If I meant just Islam, then I would say just Islam. I'm not a fan of moderate or secular Islam as I'm not a fan of any religion really, but that's not what I was talking about when I was talking about treachery (most Muslims don't advocate Sharia law and some are secular - I would never wish to ban Islam in a free society). Admittedly I did make myself unclear by immediately moving on to the point about not having faith schools (since faith schools may be moderate and advocate secularism). I do think that faith schools can accidentally encourage extremism - you would surely agree that a child who goes to a secular school is far less likely to become a jihadist than one who goes to a faith school - but my issue with faith schools is separate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for clearing up the ambiguities in your post (and for pointing out some of mine :wink:). I think what threw me with the 'traitor' thing was that the contexts it's usually heard in are more often than not, non-democratic contexts, and I wouldn't have used that word myself, but you're right, I looked before I leaped there. When it's explained in more detail I agree with a lot more of your arguments.

Well I think I possibly should be clearer about what I mean by the West, because some people seem determined that defence of the West equals racism (not you, but some other people I have encountered on this forum).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending