The Student Room Group

I'm in Year 9 and just shifted to England from India

I was in Grade 8 (British Year 9) in India and shifted mid-year. I'm not starting school until September 2022 and I need help. I'm gonna join a Grammar/State School. Can someone please explain the British Schooling System? Like what GCSE's are and what all I need to study (The Stuff that is being taught in class) and what are good year 9 TextBooks and Guides I can use to cope up. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Kartikaye
I was in Grade 8 (British Year 9) in India and shifted mid-year. I'm not starting school until September 2022 and I need help. I'm gonna join a Grammar/State School. Can someone please explain the British Schooling System? Like what GCSE's are and what all I need to study (The Stuff that is being taught in class) and what are good year 9 TextBooks and Guides I can use to cope up. Thanks :smile:

hey
You get to choose your GCSE subjects but the compulsory ones are Maths, English Language, Literature, Double/Triple Science and it varies depending on your school but I also went to a grammar school and we had to pick a language and either Geography or History. You take around 10 to 12 subjects. For textbooks and guides, most people use the CGP ones: they have a guide for every subject.

I'm from India too and moved here in year 6 and I'm in year 13 now so if you have any more questions you can ask me or PMS me!
(edited 2 years ago)
You don't start studying for GCSEs until Year 10 usually so you don't need to buy any textbooks. Just ask for help from your teachers if you don't understand anything.
Have you applied to a school and gotten a place, why are they making you wait until September 2022 when you NEED to be in education (or are you being homeschooled until then) The main reason I'm worried is that if you're Year 9 currently you'll be Year 10 when you start in 2022 and so GCSEs will have started and you will miss out on guidance from teachers on what to pick (teachers who know your ability and can provide advice based on evidence)

I suggest looking at exam boards websites for understanding on what is taught, search up these names:

AQA
WJEC
Edexcel
OCR
They are the main awarding bodies you will see
Reply 4
Original post by limitlesspuffy
hey
You get to choose your GCSE subjects but the compulsory ones are Maths, English Language, Literature, Double/Triple Science and it varies depending on your school but I also went to a grammar school and we had to pick a language and either Geography or History. You take around 10 to 12 subjects. For textbooks and guides, most people use the CGP ones: they have a guide for every subject.

I'm from India too and moved here in year 6 and I'm in year 13 now so if you have any more questions you can ask me or PMS me!

Ill PMS you
Reply 5
Original post by AmIReallyHere
Have you applied to a school and gotten a place, why are they making you wait until September 2022 when you NEED to be in education (or are you being homeschooled until then) The main reason I'm worried is that if you're Year 9 currently you'll be Year 10 when you start in 2022 and so GCSEs will have started and you will miss out on guidance from teachers on what to pick (teachers who know your ability and can provide advice based on evidence)

I suggest looking at exam boards websites for understanding on what is taught, search up these names:

AQA
WJEC
Edexcel
OCR
They are the main awarding bodies you will see

Well Ive been living in an airbnb cuz we're getting our house in January. And for applying to a school you need a permanent address. I haven't left my school in India yet but the problem is that they stopped doing online classes. But theyre gonna start Online Classes in January again cuz of Omicron. (Our sessions normally end in March and Start in May). And if they dont start online classes, Im gonna join Mid-Year here. My father bought CGP books
Well Ive been living in an airbnb cuz we're getting our house in January. And for applying to a school you need a permanent address. I haven't left my school in India yet but the problem is that they stopped doing online classes. But theyre gonna start Online Classes in January again cuz of Omicron. (Our sessions normally end in March and Start in May). And if they dont start online classes, Im gonna join Mid-Year here. My father bought CGP books

They are a good source of information!
And I understand the situation, good luck with moving in!
Why not just start when you get the new house, I see no reason as to why you should delay getting used to English school - even if they do start online classes, you should still leave the school and join one near you.

Hi there,
Sure no worries. In the UK you start your GCSEs in Year 9 or Year 10 depending on your school, and study these subjects until Year 11 where you do your GCSE examinations. My advice would be to start making notes and understanding the topics from Year 9, as otherwise you will begin to forget these topics by Year 11.

I would thoroughly recommend that you get these GCSE revision notes from the website below (in Year 9) and start looking through them before Year 10 so that you are fairly familiar with the topics to come.

This is the website that I recommend, and I used these notes to get all A*s (10 Grade 9s):

Search "Bytes of Intelligence" on Google and visit their Shop. They have the GCSE revision guides that will help you.

Let me know if you need any other help or advice.

CGP books are a good foundation to start GCSEs, but I would recommend not using these too much if you are aiming for the top grades. they tend to over simplify the topics for you and this is not going to be too helpful when revising for the gcse exams.

Use other fantastic revision guides online such as those that I mentioned earlier from "Bytes of Intelligence", because these revision guides actually have past paper questions that are challenging and cover all the notes that are not included in a simple revision guide.
Reply 9

Heyy so im guessing your year 10 now, using textbooks is great but also use videos and past paper quesitons - they are really good in consoldating knowledge. my computig teacher did not teach me one thing so I was left all alone in year 11, what I did was I bought a computing revision note passport with all the info and learnt that- i learned everything from it and it was so helpful- I got an A* (grade 9) in that subject- does anyone want the link to it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending