The Student Room Group

English PGCE "related degree?"

Dear all,

I am going to apply for 2024 entry teacher training, and considering which subject to teach.

I have a degree in German & Philosophy. I would consider Philosophy to be a subject related to English, given the time spent reading, analysing and interpreting text.

Does anybody have any specific knowledge on whether Philosophy is considered a related subject for the purposes of a PGCE application?

Thank you,
Joe
Reply 1
I am a pretty unusual case.

I have a degree in German & Philosophy. I graduated in 2006.

I have A-levels in Maths, German, and French.

I took a CELTA in 2016 and with this I have spent 7 years teaching full-time.

I spent the first 4 years teaching English as a foreign language at schools in Italy, to all age groups.

At this point it gets weird (if not already a bit weird!). For the past 3 years, I have taught Maths and Science at a private international school - still in Italy - teaching the KS3 National Curriculum. The school does what they want in terms of employing teachers, often putting teachers outside their usual subject area, depending on the needs of the school. They judged me capable of doing it. Perhaps they were especially short of staff with covid and brexit. With my qualifications however, it's probably especially unusual.

I relish the opportunity and it is going very well, surprisingly well. I imagine it is easier than teaching at UK state schools for some reasons, and probably more difficult for other reasons.

I would like to now move away from this school and find opportunities to develop more as a teacher - in particular by taking a PGCE or similar program. The only difficulty is that it's not at all clear which subject I'm best suited to.

In the past year and for the foreseeable future, I just teach science. I now consider that to be my subject. It's the subject I have the most experience in teaching, the most knowledge of the curriculum, and in my current opinion the most exciting content.

However, training providers just look at my qualifications. I am not eligible for a science PGCE. I would have to get two science A-levels, and then complete an SKE, which I estimate could take me up to 3 years alongside my current job. I don't want to be in this job another 3 years, preferably only one more year.

It seems I could be eligible to teach English, Maths, German, or perhaps any other subject considered "related" to my degree. But not eligible for the subject that I actually already teach. Help. The bursary is of course also a factor. There is a huge difference in the amount for English and the sciences, for example.

Any kind of informative contributions would be welcome and get me thinking. Thank you!
Hi! Not sure about England but it wouldn't in Scotland - https://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/educationsecondary/#Subject%20specific%20requirements might give you some insight. To be honest, I think you might struggle with the domain knowledge as an English teacher without an English degree unless you have a passion for literature outside of your formal studies. Do you do much creative writing?
Reply 3
Philosophy isn't a related degree.

It qualifies for RE teacher training but nothing else.
Reply 4
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure the Scottish credits are the same system as University of Nottingham (for example, where I graduated) but I get the idea - Glasgow want at least half the degree content to be in Literature to teach English.

I think I'll contact universities directly because I have 4 years' experience teaching English as a foreign language with a CELTA qualification (and 7 years' experience teaching in total).

I have done little creative writing but I am a passionate reader in my free time. As a 39 year old, that amounts to a lot of books.

I figure at some point a training provider will acknowledge that all of that counts for something, despite my degree choice.

Thanks again
Hi,

Most providers do want evidence of a related degree. However it is worth contacting providers and explaining your situation and asking if they would accept an application from you for sciences. You have wide ranging experience and a degree and so there is a possibility that they would accept an application. You mention you have MFL qualifications - the bursary is £25000 currently for this (they will be updated in the autumn) and there are also scholarships which are more, from the British Council. I would recommend signing up for an adviser from the Department for Education as it sounds like there are many options for you to teach, and we can certainly help you to explore these.

Good Luck!
Aly, adviser
Yes - having had a very cursory google, I think your chances are much better in the English initial teacher education system. For example https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/courses/pgce-english or https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/is-teaching-right-for-me/qualifications-you-need-to-teach The pay is a bit lower, but comparable. If you do decide to qualify in England and then want to teach in Scotland you would want to take a look at this https://www.gtcs.org.uk/registration/qualified-outside-scotland/qualified-outside-scotland-teacher/
Reply 7
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hi,

Most providers do want evidence of a related degree. However it is worth contacting providers and explaining your situation and asking if they would accept an application from you for sciences. You have wide ranging experience and a degree and so there is a possibility that they would accept an application. You mention you have MFL qualifications - the bursary is £25000 currently for this (they will be updated in the autumn) and there are also scholarships which are more, from the British Council. I would recommend signing up for an adviser from the Department for Education as it sounds like there are many options for you to teach, and we can certainly help you to explore these.

Good Luck!
Aly, adviser

Hi Aly,

That's great. It's good to have reassurance that providers may accept my application for sciences.

I will have to contact providers individually and see what their requirements are then. I guess I was hoping someone might be aware of specific providers and how they consider applicants who do not have a degree in a subject they want to teach but who do have a lot of subject knowledge and teaching experience.

As I mentioned, I love teaching science, and right now it would be my number one choice to take in teacher training, although I have been asked by two providers to take two science A-levels and then take an SKE, all of which I estimate would take me 3 years while studying alongside my current job (which is teaching science). I'm looking to take my teacher training earlier than in 3 years' time.

It's amazing what value is given to subject knowledge over actual teaching experience. I am literally already a science teacher right now. I teach the same material as in UK schools, with a full timetable, and even organise all the experiments myself without assistance. It looks like I may well have to spend 3 years studying, however, just to be eligible for the science teacher training. Maybe I will give up my job, as a science teacher, just to do it!

On the other hand, I could go to live in a German speaking country, re-familiarise myself with the German language and way of life, and then apply to teacher training to teach German. Although I have an A-level and degree in German, I would not feel comfortable applying to the teacher training in that subject right now, because I have not used that language in a meaningful way for many years and I have never taught it.

Options to consider!

Thank you for your input
Reply 8
Original post by the_cheerful_bat
Yes - having had a very cursory google, I think your chances are much better in the English initial teacher education system. For example https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/courses/pgce-english or https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/is-teaching-right-for-me/qualifications-you-need-to-teach The pay is a bit lower, but comparable. If you do decide to qualify in England and then want to teach in Scotland you would want to take a look at this https://www.gtcs.org.uk/registration/qualified-outside-scotland/qualified-outside-scotland-teacher/

Hi the_cheerful_bat,

I would enjoy living in Scotland, so thanks for giving me the info to consider it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending