The Student Room Group

How can I get started on my NEA for History A-Level?

My question is "How far was any progress in the Civil Rights of African Americans due to the decisions of the US Supreme Court between 1863 and 1965?" and my exam board is AQA.

I have to write a 4500 word essay for my Non-Examined Assessment. Mostly, I just wanted to know what I can be doing to get started- anyone know of good sources or historians relevant to this topic? Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated. Happy to provide any other information. Thank you! <3
Hiya
I did OCR but this might still be helpful for you.

I started off with borrowing books from school which were recommended by my teachers for our question (If they haven't done this are you able to email them and ask?). I read relevant sections from these and using colour coordinated post its, I highlighted key information that I could use in the essay and I kinda just put the quote in my own words/rephrased the general argument. for each book I made a table of all the post its containing information, I would make different tables for each different factor (eg economics, ideology etc). This is what I did over my summer holiday last year then I moved onto writing the essay with just knowledge - no sources or historians yet.

Next I moved on to looking for sources and historians. I quite liked including cartoon sources (one for each factor) from Punch Magazine because they were simple to explain, however for your type of question I don't know how relevant they are (you'd have to look into them). For other sources you can use newspaper articles from the time or in your reading you'll probably find that the author includes sources themselves that you can use. You can also quote speeches as a source (for your question I'd assume there will be loads which you can find the minutes for online or on youtube). Again I made a bank of the sources and what factor they will fit in which included their reference (I also recommend making a ref bank, makes things so much easier and quicker especially when you're in the latter stages of writing the essay).

For historians, you'll find their overall argument as you read their work. You'll also need to mention their views (ie if they were left wing or something etc), because that may limit or give credit to their argument. Also things you want to consider were they writing at the time or did they write later, did they witness anything etc.

Once you find sources and historians you can blend them into the essay you've already began to write and you'll be able to identify what else you need more of - evidence, sources or historians

Online articles, especially JSTOR, and books are also useful if you can't get physical books or want something specific and quickly.

This is what worked for me, I hope it makes sense and you can take something out of it :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I appreciate it.
Original post by tash_c1ark
Hiya
I did OCR but this might still be helpful for you.

I started off with borrowing books from school which were recommended by my teachers for our question (If they haven't done this are you able to email them and ask?). I read relevant sections from these and using colour coordinated post its, I highlighted key information that I could use in the essay and I kinda just put the quote in my own words/rephrased the general argument. for each book I made a table of all the post its containing information, I would make different tables for each different factor (eg economics, ideology etc). This is what I did over my summer holiday last year then I moved onto writing the essay with just knowledge - no sources or historians yet.

Next I moved on to looking for sources and historians. I quite liked including cartoon sources (one for each factor) from Punch Magazine because they were simple to explain, however for your type of question I don't know how relevant they are (you'd have to look into them). For other sources you can use newspaper articles from the time or in your reading you'll probably find that the author includes sources themselves that you can use. You can also quote speeches as a source (for your question I'd assume there will be loads which you can find the minutes for online or on youtube). Again I made a bank of the sources and what factor they will fit in which included their reference (I also recommend making a ref bank, makes things so much easier and quicker especially when you're in the latter stages of writing the essay).

For historians, you'll find their overall argument as you read their work. You'll also need to mention their views (ie if they were left wing or something etc), because that may limit or give credit to their argument. Also things you want to consider were they writing at the time or did they write later, did they witness anything etc.

Once you find sources and historians you can blend them into the essay you've already began to write and you'll be able to identify what else you need more of - evidence, sources or historians

Online articles, especially JSTOR, and books are also useful if you can't get physical books or want something specific and quickly.

This is what worked for me, I hope it makes sense and you can take something out of it :smile:

hi, i am also studying OCR history a level and i am starting coursework soon as i go into year 13, do you have any advice on choosing a topic because i am currently trying to decide between a completely new topic about the use of atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki which i am interested in, or doing my coursework essay on Russia 1894-1941 because i have been taught this in detail so i have a knowledge on this topic already as well as having sources and interpretations. Would it be easier to choose a topic about Russia if i have more prior knowledge and preparation for it rather than a completely new topic?
Original post by mks1234567
hi, i am also studying OCR history a level and i am starting coursework soon as i go into year 13, do you have any advice on choosing a topic because i am currently trying to decide between a completely new topic about the use of atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki which i am interested in, or doing my coursework essay on Russia 1894-1941 because i have been taught this in detail so i have a knowledge on this topic already as well as having sources and interpretations. Would it be easier to choose a topic about Russia if i have more prior knowledge and preparation for it rather than a completely new topic?

My school decided to give us all the same question so that they could provided lots of resources for us specific for what we may need. I'm pretty sure you can't do coursework on a topic that you're examined on, you''ll have to check with your teachers whether you can do something to do with Russia. We did growth of the British Empire during Victoria's reign for coursework because our papers were on Crusades, War of the Roses and Russia 1855-1964. Have a think about other periods that you find interesting or have a look at some sample topics candidates did, so if it does turn out you can't do this you have a plan B.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tash_c1ark
My school decided to give us all the same question so that they could provided lots of resources for us specific for what we may need. I'm pretty sure you can't do coursework on a topic that you're examined on, you''ll have to check with your teachers whether you can do something to do with Russia. We did growth of the British Empire during Victoria's reign for coursework because our papers were on Crusades, War of the Roses and Russia 1855-1964. Have a think about other periods that you find interesting or have a look at some sample topics candidates did, so if it does turn out you can't do this you have a plan B.

i wil definitely look into a secondary topic as a backup plan and look at previous topics students did, thanks for the advice!
Hi, I'm doing my NEA on the atomic bomb and whether it was justifiable or not. Anyone have any primary sources/historical interpretations?
Reply 7
Lil update on here since it's been a hot minute! I handed in my NEA last month, I'm pretty proud of it. Thank you for your help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending