The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheKhaleesi
Its a good things they are being scrapped, such a shame it doesn't affect us this year. Honestly there was no point of them since everyone was cheating making the grade boundaries ridiculously high, its just really unfair for the ones who didn't cheat.

I'm not sure if I'd rather be in the first year of a major change in syllabus though, as much as I hate ISAs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I'm not sure if I'd rather be in the first year of a major change in syllabus though, as much as I hate ISAs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is very true. I'm so happy that we don't have to do both our AS and A2 at the end of the two years. That would have been so painful. I feel for the Yr 11s right now :colondollar:
6000 posts! We really should be revising, or something!
Yeah that is very true. I'm so happy that we don't have to do both our AS and A2 at the end of the two years. That would have been so painful. I feel for the Yr 11s right now :colondollar:

Yeah if it was at the end of year 13 procrastination and last minute revision would literally kill you :lol:
But then it feels as though I'd just had my GCSE results day a few weeks ago sometimes with one year course lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B.Lakeland
6000 posts! We really should be revising, or something!

:lol:
Is anyone in here doing economics tomorrow? How are you guys revising for it I don't really know what to do :frown:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

What inspired you to do medicine at Cambridge?

Well I was pretty set on doing medicine from like year 10 but Cambridge would be a dream come true because it's levels of learning from the very best in the field + mixing with an incredibly hard working, driven and very smart student batch would just be so rewarding. The fact it is so academic based compared to other medical schools is something I prefer but you cannot beat the levels of expertise you get from learning from the very best. The kudos of studying medicine at Cambridge for future employers makes a large difference :tongue:. It doesn't have as big an impact as for other jobs but it does make a difference. Also, who wouldn't want to if they had the chance? :smile:

Original post by Magnesium
It is :wink: What are you planning on applying for at uni? Yup, pretty much the same. Although I'm finding that the arguments and eval are so simple for unit 1 compared to unit 2, it's crazy. I keep wanting to link back to the macro objectives in the micro exam but obviously the evaluation can be so much more simple than this because literally 2 sentences will get you the 2 eval marks! :redface:

Yeah I think so too. I think they're probably going to be more worried about the actual exam's UMS marks and not the controlled assessment :tongue:

I want to study medicine so Cambridge really is a long shot but I'm just doing the best I can and see what happens :smile:. What about you? Yeh you're right! Once you crack the structure they want you to use for the data response questions, providing you have enough time, it is quite easy to get high marks. It was incredible because before Easter I was averaging a B but then after Easter I've scored 75 twice in Micro and now feel very confident. Simple points, as you say, can get you all the marks. Evaluation aswell, you can just mention 'time lags, magnitude and ceteris paribus' for literally every single question and still get the marks! I'm sure we'll both smash this :wink: but got to stay focused haha.

And yes, I hope so because the PSAs test very little actual skills except 'how well can you remember your teacher's answers'...
yeah, just do some multiple choices
Original post by BBeyond
Is anyone in here doing economics tomorrow? How are you guys revising for it I don't really know what to do :frown:

Yeh, Magnesium and I are :smile:, are you on edexcel? And I would advise just going through past papers and checking it against the mark scheme. Are you feeling confident?
Original post by nurav11
Yeh, Magnesium and I are :smile:, are you on edexcel? And I would advise just going through past papers and checking it against the mark scheme. Are you feeling confident?

nah AQA :tongue:, fair shout but I've already done all of the multiple choices :tongue: Guess I should look at some 25 markers :confused: I'm pretty confident, so long as I can get 50/50 on the first part then I should be able to get 22/25 in the essay Q and get full UMS, you?
Original post by BBeyond
nah AQA :tongue:, fair shout but I've already done all of the multiple choices :tongue: Guess I should look at some 25 markers :confused: I'm pretty confident, so long as I can get 50/50 on the first part then I should be able to get 22/25 in the essay Q and get full UMS, you?

Well I'm on Edexcel and we don't have any 25 markers on our paper, highest is 2 14 markers :tongue:. Our multiple choice is also easy to do well in and aiming for full marks on it too. The longer data response I just need to go over some factors which affect supply of labour and government failure in general and then think I'll be fine, aiming for full UMS aswell. We should be ok hopefully :smile:
Original post by nurav11
Well I was pretty set on doing medicine from like year 10 but Cambridge would be a dream come true because it's levels of learning from the very best in the field + mixing with an incredibly hard working, driven and very smart student batch would just be so rewarding. The fact it is so academic based compared to other medical schools is something I prefer but you cannot beat the levels of expertise you get from learning from the very best. The kudos of studying medicine at Cambridge for future employers makes a large difference :tongue:. It doesn't have as big an impact as for other jobs but it does make a difference. Also, who wouldn't want to if they had the chance? :smile:

I want to study medicine so Cambridge really is a long shot but I'm just doing the best I can and see what happens :smile:. What about you? Yeh you're right! Once you crack the structure they want you to use for the data response questions, providing you have enough time, it is quite easy to get high marks. It was incredible because before Easter I was averaging a B but then after Easter I've scored 75 twice in Micro and now feel very confident. Simple points, as you say, can get you all the marks. Evaluation aswell, you can just mention 'time lags, magnitude and ceteris paribus' for literally every single question and still get the marks! I'm sure we'll both smash this :wink: but got to stay focused haha.

And yes, I hope so because the PSAs test very little actual skills except 'how well can you remember your teacher's answers'...

Oooo I want to do medicine as well! One of the hardest subjects to get into coupled with one of the one hardest universities to get into, we are going to have to work so hard :tongue:
What types of volunteering/work exp have you done?
Guys don't worry too much about ISA UMS results, the Christ's AT has said that they take practical results into account when looking at overall ums.

I ended up with a B in OCR Biology AS practicals and despite being told I got 40/40 raw marks in Chemistry A2 it got moderated down to about 80% UMS, yet still got an offer so consider that a success story :smile:

Just focus on your exams now and try to get the best you can in them and you'll all be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooo I want to do medicine as well! One of the hardest subjects to get into coupled with one of the one hardest universities to get into, we are going to have to work so hard :tongue:

In some ways it's actually easier to get an offer for medicine at Cambridge than some other places. Whereas other universities (e.g. Bristol) place a lot of emphasis on extra-curriculars, as long as you get the right grades in AS/BMAT and impress at interview (i.e. read around the subject and can deal with challenging scientific questions), an offer from Cambridge is very likely. There was an international on TSR last year who was made an offer for medicine with no work experience apart from a few weeks in a research department!
Original post by Anti-Dirac
In some ways it's actually easier to get an offer for medicine at Cambridge than some other places. Whereas other universities (e.g. Bristol) place a lot of emphasis on extra-curriculars, as long as you get the right grades in AS/BMAT and impress at interview (i.e. read around the subject and can deal with challenging scientific questions), an offer from Cambridge is very likely. There was an international on TSR last year who was made an offer for medicine with no work experience apart from a few weeks in a research department!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know your in the presence of geniuses when people put Cambridge,medicine and easy in the same sentence.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

You know your in the presence of geniuses when people put Cambridge,medicine and easy in the same sentence.

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll be eating my words come next January :wink:

Ayyy nice! A great life decision aha, yeh we really do have to work ever so hard for the grades and for the work experience, but it will be worth it in the end (if we get the offers :tongue:).

So far, I've done volunteering in a dementia care home a couple of hours a week for 5 months + I did 6 months in a charity shop for my bronze DofE :tongue:Also done two work experience placements in two different hospitals in London (UCH and Hammersmith hospital, idk if you know them) in the Nuclear Medicine and Cardiology departments respectively along with a random few 'medicine taster courses' at Barts and Imperial... But I have no idea if this is enough or a good amount or what not.

For the summer though, I'm doing this volunteering thing called Vitalise, which is a respite care home for the disabled where they can go on holiday for a week and do all sorts of nice activities, where we have to care for them. It sounds great and it's fantastic they let 17 year olds do it. Also, I'm hoping to do some other work experiences, especially shadowing a GP but it hasn't been finalised yet :frown:.

What kind of stuff have you done so far? :smile:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly what i thought :lol:

Yeah i see what you mean, I'm so happy they don't look at extra curricular stuff, seeing as i haven't done any :tongue: thats one less thing i have to worry about

Hmm I don't think so because getting the grades they desire at AS and BMAT + having an incredibly science orientated Personal Statement is very tricky. And the interview is like no other medicine interview where your level of understanding of a huge variety of material, both scientific and ethical, is rigorously tested. That guy probably got an offer from only Cambridge and nowhere else because his science level would have been very strong but his 'care' level would have been weak, I'm guessing. At the end of the day though, any place is hard so any offer is very good :smile:
Is it worth doing Solomon papers for M1,2 and S1,2? Heard that they're easier for mechanics than the actual papers but nothing for stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending