The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioStudentx
I know this might be a cliche question but I've had so much different information regarding it - if you take Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and you're applying to Medicine which three are your 'most relevant' subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry, Biology,Physics,Maths.
That's the order of importance.Logs the only useful part of As maths you will prob use as a doctor, when using radioactive tracers and isotopes.
Hi everyone! I'm taking chemistry, biology, physics and further maths for A-level! I really want to apply for medicine at cambridge, but I know it's really competitive. I think I will score decently with my A-levels because I got 8 A*'s and A and a B for GCSE (in German, bleuugh), and I'm studying hard for my exams. I really, really despise physics though, so I'm struggling alot to keep up, although the unit one exam I think went well, apart from that stupid quark structure question. Got a week before the physics unit 2 exam so i got time to revise tho :smile:. I really love chemistry and biology, and Core 1 and 2 maths is pretty easy, despite stats tripping me up a bit. Don't wanna think about core 3 and 4 yet though, but got them about 3 days after the rest of my exams are over, with like a 3-4 day gap between each exam, so i got time to focus on just them and hopefully wont completely fail lol- rooting on doing well in maths so i don't have to rely on physics! :biggrin:
Original post by buckeybarnes
Hi everyone! I'm taking chemistry, biology, physics and further maths for A-level! I really want to apply for medicine at cambridge, but I know it's really competitive. I think I will score decently with my A-levels because I got 8 A*'s and A and a B for GCSE (in German, bleuugh), and I'm studying hard for my exams. I really, really despise physics though, so I'm struggling alot to keep up, although the unit one exam I think went well, apart from that stupid quark structure question. Got a week before the physics unit 2 exam so i got time to revise tho :smile:. I really love chemistry and biology, and Core 1 and 2 maths is pretty easy, despite stats tripping me up a bit. Don't wanna think about core 3 and 4 yet though, but got them about 3 days after the rest of my exams are over, with like a 3-4 day gap between each exam, so i got time to focus on just them and hopefully wont completely fail lol- rooting on doing well in maths so i don't have to rely on physics! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello barney :smile:.Cambridge says they look at your three most important subjects, so as long as you do well in Biology,Chemistry and Maths,the physics doesn't really matter, just make sure you don't get a atrocious grade in like a U or an E.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry, Biology,Physics,Maths.
That's the order of importance.Logs the only useful part of As maths you will prob use as a doctor, when using radioactive tracers and isotopes.

But will maths be involved in my most relevant 3 average? The thing is I will get around 96-97% in my maths but In my physics I messed up my exam so I'm like at 85%. It will make a massive difference for me and I'm always worrying about it.
But will maths be involved in my most relevant 3 average? The thing is I will get around 96-97% in my maths but In my physics I messed up my exam so I'm like at 85%. It will make a massive difference for me and I'm always worrying about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge says they take your strongest three subjects, so if maths is one of them, then Cambridge will use that instead of Physics.
But IMO,physics is more useful for medicine,most new cancer treatments involve physics like proton beam therapy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello barney :smile:.Cambridge says they look at your three most important subjects, so as long as you do well in Biology,Chemistry and Maths,the physics doesn't really matter, just make sure you don't get a atrocious grade in like a U or an E.

I'm guessing i might get a C, possibly a B or even an A if i really knuckle down, but the chances aren't very high lol :biggrin: I'm hoping for an A in biology, an A* in chemistry and an A in maths, but I'm doing my entire A-level of maths in one year, and i did get stuck on a bit of the last question in maths core 1 and about 8-12 marks in core 2, so i've gotta do better in statistics lol, the one im horrible at! :smile:
physics unit 1 was actually decent, apart from that stupid quark question (ever heard of a baryon with a strangeness and also a positive charge?- pretty sure its not on the syllabus) and the fact the whole electricity thing was long answer questions about a potato.. :biggrin:
Well chatterboxes, we've surpassed 8,000 posts.

By the end of the week after it'll be 10,000 :colone:
I'm guessing i might get a C, possibly a B or even an A if i really knuckle down, but the chances aren't very high lol :biggrin: I'm hoping for an A in biology, an A* in chemistry and an A in maths, but I'm doing my entire A-level of maths in one year, and i did get stuck on a bit of the last question in maths core 1 and about 8-12 marks in core 2, so i've gotta do better in statistics lol, the one im horrible at! :smile:
physics unit 1 was actually decent, apart from that stupid quark question (ever heard of a baryon with a strangeness and also a positive charge?- pretty sure its not on the syllabus) and the fact the whole electricity thing was long answer questions about a potato.. :biggrin:

I know right man. I didn't realise that K had strangeness and that was like GG 8 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the physics try and push it to a B or A if you can.The higher the grade you can achieve, the better. Remember you are competing against students from as far away as China,so the higher, the better.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge says they take your strongest three subjects, so if maths is one of them, then Cambridge will use that instead of Physics.
But IMO,physics is more useful for medicine,most new cancer treatments involve physics like proton beam therapy.

If I don't average 90% in my top 3 is there any point applying? (I'm pretty sure I will)
Original post by enaayrah
Well chatterboxes, we've surpassed 8,000 posts.

By the end of the week after it'll be 10,000 :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This the hottest thread on tsr,I can't help myself.
I know right man. I didn't realise that K had strangeness and that was like GG 8 marks.

yup, in the actual exam i didn't think it had strangeness either, i ended up writing the structure of an antiproton, even tho i know that was so wrong lol
If I don't average 90% in my top 3 is there any point applying? (I'm pretty sure I will)

Yes. Unless you also happen to really like Oxford you may as well apply as its only one of your 5 choices and if you don't apply then you definitely won't get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

For the physics try and push it to a B or A if you can.The higher the grade you can achieve, the better. Remember you are competing against students from as far away as China,so the higher, the better.

ya, the questions just dont work with my brain, but I'm pretty sure all of my unit 1 exams have went decently, probably gonna average >80% in all of them so far, its just unit 2 ones that worry me
ya, the questions just dont work with my brain, but I'm pretty sure all of my unit 1 exams have went decently, probably gonna average >80% in all of them so far, its just unit 2 ones that worry me

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can do well in unit 1, unit 2 will go.fine.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can do well in unit 1, unit 2 will go.fine.

hope so, it went better than most of my mocks and i got usually high B's and mostly A's in them
hope so, it went better than most of my mocks and i got usually high B's and mostly A's in them

Posted from TSR Mobile

I flopped unit 1 physics, 😞😳.But I always do wayy better in unit 2 :colone:.

You should still apply (I will if I get over 88%, if lower, then I'll be applying to Oxford :erm:).
I know a fair amount of people who got lower than 90% and still gained offers. I guess if it's lower than 90%, you'll have to be completely exceptional at interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.Still apply,you never know unless you apply.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I flopped unit 1 physics, 😞😳.But I always do wayy better in unit 2 :colone:.

some of the mechanics is ok for me bc doing further maths i've already done the mechanics module of maths as well as stats, but its different mechanics altogether so its not too helpful, i guess im bad at it bc ive never really done alot of revision for it, kinda entering cramming territory rn lol... :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending