The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fitz_SLO
Hi 2016 applicants! I'm Schools Liaison Officer at Fitzwilliam College and have opened a thread: 'Cambridge 2016 entry - is there anything you'd like to know?' Head on over if you've got any Cambridge questions!

Thank you so much for letting us know! I'm very glad more college is now on TSR :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chapmaed
All the applied ones? so S1, D1 and M1?
Thats cool, Im doing C3, C4, FP2, FP3, FP4, M2, M3 and D1 so quite the handful, how are you finding FP1?

Yeah
So you're in A2 then
How come are you doing eight at once? Did you do only four last year, or did you self teach some as extra?
FP1 is okay, I don't like transformation though. I actually have to start revision for it again, I haven't touched it since my mock two weeks ago and the exam is next week :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im year 12, so I self taught all 9 (forgot to put FP1 as well)... I guess transformation matrices are pretty nasty if you haven't done much matrix work. You can pretty much rely on the formula book though, which helps.
All the applied ones? so S1, D1 and M1?
Thats cool, Im doing C3, C4, FP2, FP3, FP4, M2, M3 and D1 so quite the handful, how are you finding FP1?

So I'm guessing you're doing Additional Further Maths? Or are you doing Further in a year and then nothing at A2?
There's no Additional further in AQA, so I'm planning to take up chemistry. Only if I get good enough grades, though, otherwise I'll focus on retakes and STEP, along with my two other A2s
Im year 12, so I self taught all 9 (forgot to put FP1 as well)... I guess transformation matrices are pretty nasty if you haven't done much matrix work. You can pretty much rely on the formula book though, which helps.

Oh right, did you do AS maths in year 11?
I can do them, but it's boring to me :unimpressed: Only topic I like in FP1 is trig rofl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Oh right, did you do AS maths in year 11?
I can do them, but it's boring to me :unimpressed: Only topic I like in FP1 is trig rofl

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess, I don't find FP1 that exciting but mostly because it's just a simplified version of the other FPs. How come you like the trig so much, it's just general solutions of sin cos and tan...
I guess, I don't find FP1 that exciting but mostly because it's just a simplified version of the other FPs. How come you like the trig so much, it's just general solutions of sin cos and tan...

Biggest reason I took FM was because I wanted to do complex number, but turns out it was just an introduction and nothing exciting. Same with every other topic I guess, just an introduction to complex ideas.
General solutions made my life easier, got to love it. I forgot to mention Linear Law, I love that too, it's so clever and useful lol
Also forgot to mention series, the algebra is so satisfying
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by C0balt
Biggest reason I took FM was because I wanted to do complex number, but turns out it was just an introduction and nothing exciting. Same with every other topic I guess, just an introduction to complex ideas.
General solutions made my life easier, got to love it. I forgot to mention Linear Law, I love that too, it's so clever and useful lol
Also forgot to mention series, the algebra is so satisfying

Yeah, you learn so much more about complex numbers in FP2 (for AQA)... and matrices get so much better in FP4. linear laws are pretty clever and also not too difficult so it's a win win. A lot of FP1 is just a precursor to doing further maths, so it's dull but it gives you a lot of essential skills, and it makes C3 and C4 a dream.
Original post by C0balt
I had B in physics dream and I revised physics all day!

I had a really weird dream last night... straight out of Kafka. Some details were interpolated to make a coherent narrative :tongue:

I went into school for my S1 exam; alas, my train was late. Just as I arrived the caretaker told me to bring take the school bins down to the road, which I did, and I thus only just managed to get into the exam on time. I sat down in a random seat, only to realise that I'd been given a Geography AS exam. Strangely (or perhaps not so strangely considering S1) I only realised halfway through my essay on urban development.

I asked for an S1 paper as soon as I realised; however, the questions were odd to say the least. Question 1 was 'State the general format of a British number plate', followed by 'Hence deduce the number plate of Al Capone's car'. After some minutes of toil, I got the answer 1337. I worked on through the paper, which was equally strange.

I went back down to the station, and discussed the paper with my friends. They all agreed that it was quite odd. Apparently, my dream self then had a sudden realisation - they'd given us the wrong paper! (Dream me is a bit slow sometimes.) I then ran back up to the school (noticing that some idiot had brought the bins back up), took a wrong turn and ended up in a board meeting for a local business. I apologised and left. I just got the invigilator before the next exam started, and asked to check my paper. "Sorry, we can't give you your paper back," they said, "but I can check the exam code if you want." She came back a few seconds later... "Sorry, we accidentally gave your year a driving theory test. Would you like to do the actual S1 paper?"

I sat down to get going... and then I woke up.
Original post by Krollo
x.

OMG :rofl: geography THEN driving test :rofl:
Yeah, you learn so much more about complex numbers in FP2 (for AQA)... and matrices get so much better in FP4. linear laws are pretty clever and also not too difficult so it's a win win. A lot of FP1 is just a precursor to doing further maths, so it's dull but it gives you a lot of essential skills, and it makes C3 and C4 a dream.

I'm actually planning to self teach FP4 during the summer, do you think I can do it with only C1 C2 and FP1 knowledge?
Original post by C0balt
OMG :rofl: geography THEN driving test :rofl:

Ikr. Apparently I take LSD in my sleep.
Original post by Krollo
I had a really weird dream last night... straight out of Kafka. Some details were interpolated to make a coherent narrative :tongue:

I went into school for my S1 exam; alas, my train was late. Just as I arrived the caretaker told me to bring take the school bins down to the road, which I did, and I thus only just managed to get into the exam on time. I sat down in a random seat, only to realise that I'd been given a Geography AS exam. Strangely (or perhaps not so strangely considering S1) I only realised halfway through my essay on urban development.

I asked for an S1 paper as soon as I realised; however, the questions were odd to say the least. Question 1 was 'State the general format of a British number plate', followed by 'Hence deduce the number plate of Al Capone's car'. After some minutes of toil, I got the answer 1337. I worked on through the paper, which was equally strange.

I went back down to the station, and discussed the paper with my friends. They all agreed that it was quite odd. Apparently, my dream self then had a sudden realisation - they'd given us the wrong paper! (Dream me is a bit slow sometimes.) I then ran back up to the school (noticing that some idiot had brought the bins back up), took a wrong turn and ended up in a board meeting for a local business. I apologised and left. I just got the invigilator before the next exam started, and asked to check my paper. "Sorry, we can't give you your paper back," they said, "but I can check the exam code if you want." She came back a few seconds later... "Sorry, we accidentally gave your year a driving theory test. Would you like to do the actual S1 paper?"

I sat down to get going... and then I woke up.

That sounds more like extrapolation rather than interpolation to me. Didn't you learn that extrapolation is notoriously unreliable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
That sounds more like extrapolation rather than interpolation to me. Didn't you learn that extrapolation is notoriously unreliable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me, it's interpolation... trouble is I hardly know what was in the dream and what was the invention of my half-awake mind any more. I've kept a dream diary for a while, this is far from unprecedented.
Original post by C0balt
I'm actually planning to self teach FP4 during the summer, do you think I can do it with only C1 C2 and FP1 knowledge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends.For OCR,after fp1,Fp3 can be taken before fp2 and vice versa.They only require fp1 knowledge.Not sure about aqa though.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends.For OCR,after fp1,Fp3 can be taken before fp2 and vice versa.They only require fp1 knowledge.Not sure about aqa though.

AQA FP4 is mostly linear algebra. So only FP1 knowledge is required; i.e. a foundation knowledge of linear algebra and matrices.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm asking about FP4 and the module is unique to AQA so I know it depends. :tongue:
Original post by C0balt
I'm asking about FP4 and the module is unique to AQA so I know it depends. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course you can.I'm going to self teach myself C3 and M1 during the holiday.
Reply 9059
Original post by AstroNandos
I'm doing D1 (OCR), and if I did right now I would be screwed. D2 went horribly for me, so i was hoping that FP1, which was alright, and D1 save my further maths UMS. I've got 12 past papers scheduled to do over the next 6ish days (I don't actually know when it is?) so hopefully my cramming will save me :biggrin:

Seeing as all of the papers are similar as there's not much content, I'm hoping doing a ton of past papers will work

I'm also doing OCR. Yeah I'm hoping that doing as many past papers as possible until the 5th will get me back into the right mindset again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending