The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Terezoza
Hii :smile: anyone else applying for physical natural sciences? I'm curious to see what you're doing for work experience/ relevant extra curricular activities
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I applied for Physical Natsci this year, and I don't think most people did much aside from reading a couple of books.
On my application I mentioned rowing, a 6-week research placement, science vids on youtube and stuff, books I'd read, scientific magazines...
Work experience isn't really important for NatSci (unless it shows that you have an interest in your subject, like the research placement) so yeh :smile:
Original post by hopefulecon12
Haha thanks :ahee:

Haven't really thought about that. Maybe an economist? Or work in finance? Dunno for sure though. How about you? :yep:
Not too sure either. But definitely something in finance. Maybe consulting ir banking.
@Terezoza:
I'm applying for PhysNatSci and I'm halfway through several of Brian Cox's physics books at the minute. I read articles from New Scientist and From Quarks to Quasars online, Focus magazine, and I'm hopefully going to spend a week in the physics dept at a local uni. And I'm going on a few engineering taster days simply to see if that's interesting, as it's related.

That's basically it for extracurriculars/work experience at the minute.
Original post by Rovensie
Cancelling standardised exams does not necessarily leads to higher level of creativity, because the students may not use the spare time well. Who knows if they would just sleep away the day :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scrapping school league tables instead would be a better move imo, it would make schools rethink their priorities on what and how they teach.
Original post by Colmans
I left 2010 and took AS Maths in 2008.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry Colmans, but you are so full of **** lol. If there were maybe 2-3 people per set that'd be just about believable.

Edit: this is the thing about everyone in 2 top sets of the 10 sets getting full marks in AS maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth
Sorry Colmans, but you are so full of **** lol. If there were maybe 2-3 people per set that'd be just about believable.

Edit: this is the thing about everyone in 2 top sets of the 10 sets getting full marks in AS maths.

I'm not sure I can be bothered to argue but would you think the claim that 224/263 boys got A* in GCSE and that 74 boys got an A* in Maths A2 is also unbelievable?
(That's this year's data.)
I reckon there will be lots of people on TSR who got 100% in AS in several subjects themselves and knew plenty of people at their grammar/selective independent who did the same.
Original post by Colmans
I'm not sure I can be bothered to argue but would you think the claim that 224/263 boys got A* in GCSE and that 74 boys got an A* in Maths A2 is also unbelievable?
I reckon there will be lots of people on TSR who got 100% in AS in several subjects themselves and knew plenty of people at their grammar/selective independent who did the same.

No that's not unbelievable because that's very different from everyone in 2 classes of people scoring full marks in 3 modules isn't it.
Original post by Colmans

If there are 20 people in your top sets, then even if a person had a 85% chance of getting full UMS the probability all 20 did is 0.85^20 which is less than 4%. And I doubt everyone had an 85% chance or better of getting full ums in their AS.
No that's not unbelievable because that's very different from everyone in 2 classes of people scoring full marks in 3 modules isn't it.

I think they do like 4 modules in AS and c1 in gcse so lots of chance to retake and get top 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If there are 20 people in your top sets, then even if a person had a 85% chance of getting full UMS the probability all 20 did is 0.85^20 which is less than 4%. And I doubt everyone had an 85% chance or better of getting full ums in their AS.

If it was anywhere but Eton I would say it was impossible, but when you have been having education of the highest quality for ~7 years I think it's much more achievable. Still amazing that no one dropped a single UMS point, but the subject in which you are most likely to do that in is AS Maths.
Original post by ThatPerson
If it was anywhere but Eton I would say it was impossible, but when you have been having education of the highest quality for ~7 years I think it's much more achievable. Still amazing that no one dropped a single UMS point, but the subject in which you are most likely to do that in is AS Maths.

I think St. Paul's in London is the best in the country for maths. They have like one kid per year going to the IMO :/.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I think St. Paul's in London is the best in the country for maths. They have like one kid per year going to the IMO :/.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hadn't even heard of Mathematical Olympiads till the beginning of Year 12. Before that I thought the Maths challenge was some pointless test we had to do every year :tongue:

There are quite a few schools that are as academic in Eton in the country. http://www.best-schools.co.uk/uk-school-league-tables/a-level-passes/. I'm not fond of league tables but this gives you an idea. Now, I don't think at any of these places is it likely that the 20 or so students in the top sets got full marks in their AS maths. Now if they were sitting exams early and doing retakes as has been suggested, it might be possible, but still rather unlikely. Case in point if you assume on average 8.5/10 get full marks at Ums, the chances all 20 do is still less than 4%.But it's not even that likely that 9/10 exams on average achieve full UMS.
Most of the Oxbridge scientists, including mathmos, I know didn't.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hadn't even heard of Mathematical Olympiads till the beginning of Year 12. Before that I thought the Maths challenge was some pointless test we had to do every year :tongue:

Same i found out about it in year 12 about 2 months before the SMC when my school did it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are quite a few schools that are as academic in Eton in the country. http://www.best-schools.co.uk/uk-school-league-tables/a-level-passes/. I'm not fond of league tables but this gives you an idea. Now, I don't think at any of these places is it likely that the 20 or so students in the top sets got full marks in their AS maths. Now if they were sitting exams early and doing retakes as has been suggested, it might be possible, but still rather unlikely. Case in point if you assume on average 8.5/10 get full marks at Ums, the chances all 20 do is still less than 4%.But it's not even that likely that 9/10 exams on average achieve full UMS.
Most of the Oxbridge scientists, including mathmos, I know didn't.

Yh i am half mathmo(still to meet my cam offer) but yes i didnt get full marks. I know others who didnt get full marks who are at Cam.
If they are doing ocr Mei or something it is very unlikely. But if its edexcel it increases the chances alot ALOT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh i am half mathmo(still to meet my cam offer) but yes i didnt get full marks. I know others who didnt get full marks who are at Cam.
If they are doing ocr Mei or something it is very unlikely. But if its edexcel it increases the chances alot ALOT.

Congrats on your offer!
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Congrats on your offer!

Thanks. Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. Good luck with your application!

Haven't applied yet :wink:

Might still chicken out and apply to Oxford :tongue:
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Haven't applied yet :wink:

Might still chicken out and apply to Oxford :tongue:

Donttttt. Cambridge is the best in the world for studying maths(most people would agree).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Donttttt. Cambridge is the best in the world for studying maths(most people would agree).

Posted from TSR Mobile

isn't it supposed to be oxford = cambridge? :tongue: although i'd rather go to cambridge :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending