The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

2 + 2 Questions and Computing Science

Hi,

While searching for some general advice/assistance I noticed only a few scraps of information about this, so I think it justified a new thread. Anyway...

I'll be joining third year (masters in computing science) after getting an A in both my previous years doing a HND. I understand that the workload of college is laughable in comparison to what I'm likely going to experience in third year. I was wondering just how much of a jump up the actual complexity is and if anyone here knew anyone who came on to the course same way I did (and how to avoid their mistakes, if any)? I had a look through the third year course content and none of it was beyond my understanding, at least at first glance...but that can be deceiving, I'm sure.

Finally, I'd consider myself reasonably competent with mathematics but the college provided absolutely no official mathematical units during the HND so most of my "higher" study has been in my free time, so not exactly amazing. Are there any areas in particular one should focus upon beforehand or that would be considered "essential"? (Linear algebra for 3d stuff/statistics etc.?) I'm learning Haskell/C++ at the moment just to be that extra bit more versatile.

Thanks for reading this far! Also would be cool to meet people beforehand, if anyone is doing third year in related subjects or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending