The Student Room Group

This is such a dumb question: what is the point of a masters?

I’ve recently seen an computer science conversion masters msc, that in a discipline other than Computer Science is required for entry”
I do not want to do computer science….
But this really screws with me…. Can you do a masters in anything?
How does that work
how could an anthropology student (not me, I’m doing a different degree) do this and get a job as a, for example, software engineer, or something.
Could a guy with a history degree do an economics masters and end up as a banker?
I am just confused
How does this work!!?
(edited 11 months ago)
Typically you would need a relevant undergraduate degree.

e.g. I've a masters in infection biology and the entry requirement was a 2:1 Honours degree or equivalent in biomedical science or a relevant subject.
Reply 2
Original post by 1582
Typically you would need a relevant undergraduate degree.

e.g. I've a masters in infection biology and the entry requirement was a 2:1 Honours degree or equivalent in biomedical science or a relevant subject.

I see
Hi ,

Having an undergraduate degree in a subject related to the masters is quite often an entry requirement, but this is not always the case.

For example our MA in Criminology requires applicants to have a 2:2 undergraduate degree but does not specify in which subject (although it does state that a social science subject is advantageous, but not necessary), and for teacher training you need a minimum 2:2 undergraduate degree in any subject. Experience in the relevant field can also be helpful.

If you have a specific subject/university in mind it's best to look at their postgraduate prospectus, or contact them directly. I've included a link to our postgrad courses so you can see what we offer at the University of Suffolk :smile:
https://www.uos.ac.uk/content/postgraduate-study

Hope that helps,

Amy
PhD student,
Official University of Suffolk Student Rep
Original post by username6135883
I’ve recently seen an computer science conversion masters msc, that in a discipline other than Computer Science is required for entry”
I do not want to do computer science….
But this really screws with me…. Can you do a masters in anything?
How does that work
how could an anthropology student (not me, I’m doing a different degree) do this and get a job as a, for example, software engineer, or something.
Could a guy with a history degree do an economics masters and end up as a banker?
I am just confused
How does this work!!?

@username6135883

I think its important to distinguish between a typical Masters degree and a Masters conversion (both worth the same number of credits & general credibility).

Having an undergraduate in a similar subject is usually an entry requirement for a standard masters, for instance for a social science's type masters a 2:2 in sociology, criminology, or psychology would allow you onto a masters pathway for any of those listed. However, this is not always the case.

For a conversion course, it is designed specifically to parachute people into a new subject they are not that familiar with. I must say though having a Sociology degree really, really helped me with my Psychology MSc conversion in terms of research methods. Conversion courses quite often are taken on my people a few years into their career and they want to skill up or change direction.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by Arden University
@username6135883

I think its important to distinguish between a typical Masters degree and a Masters conversion (both worth the same number of credits & general credibility).

Having an undergraduate in a similar subject is usually an entry requirement for a standard masters, for instance for a social science's type masters a 2:2 in sociology, criminology, or psychology would allow you onto a masters pathway for any of those listed. However, this is not always the case.

For a conversion course, it is designed specifically to parachute people into a new subject they are not that familiar with. I must say though having a Sociology degree really, really helped me with my Psychology MSc conversion in terms of research methods. Conversion courses quite often are taken on my people a few years into their career and they want to skill up or change direction.

Marc

Hi Marc
You mentioned your Sociology degree really helped with your Psychology conversion MSc.
With your grasp of both disciplines, do you think it would be equally manageable if a person were to convert the other way round? I mean, if one started with a Psychology BSc and later wanted to do Social Research MSc or something like that? Sorry if this question sounds silly. Thanks.

Manny2023
Original post by Manny2023
Hi Marc
You mentioned your Sociology degree really helped with your Psychology conversion MSc.
With your grasp of both disciplines, do you think it would be equally manageable if a person were to convert the other way round? I mean, if one started with a Psychology BSc and later wanted to do Social Research MSc or something like that? Sorry if this question sounds silly. Thanks.

Manny2023

@Manny2023
That's a brilliant question. If a large part of the social research MSc is quantitative based research then it would be a smooth transition. However, if you were doing more qualitative based like ethnomethodology then that is more Sociology than Psychology. A Social Research masters sounds really interesting, that would be brilliant for local government jobs etc

Marc
Reply 7
Original post by Arden University
@Manny2023
That's a brilliant question. If a large part of the social research MSc is quantitative based research then it would be a smooth transition. However, if you were doing more qualitative based like ethnomethodology then that is more Sociology than Psychology. A Social Research masters sounds really interesting, that would be brilliant for local government jobs etc

Marc

Thanks for your answer, Marc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending