The Student Room Group

what's studying comp sci like at a level (ocr)

choosing my final a level option, im torn between English Lit and Computer Science. 2 different subjects I know, but I like both subjects and I've heard good/bad things about both. Just wanna get a picture of what it's like for the OCR spec. Idk exactly what to do at degree level, Law seems quite appealing
(my other subjects are Maths, Economics and History) Appreciate some advice
(edited 2 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
I'm in yr13 doing ocr for computer science and its not the worst but the nea is demanding and requires quite a lot of work.

Exam papers are ok, but boy that nea consumes a lot of energy and time.
Original post by untypical09
I'm in yr13 doing ocr for computer science and its not the worst but the nea is demanding and requires quite a lot of work.

Exam papers are ok, but boy that nea consumes a lot of energy and time.

I agree. The theory is calm but the nea makes me wish I didn't choose computer science
Original post by Itsmikeysfault
I agree. The theory is calm but the nea makes me wish I didn't choose computer science

yep, exactly.

there are times I'm doing my nea and I contemplate why I chose computer science.
Original post by untypical09
yep, exactly.

there are times I'm doing my nea and I contemplate why I chose computer science.

what's the nea like? Seems concerning im about to choose 2 subjects with NEAs lol. But aside from that you say the content and stuff isn't that demanding? My school gives me the option to drop one at the end of y12 so maybe thats an idea...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Theory is fun, however you need to be resilient because some topics are genuinely hard especially for someone who’s never done computer science until a level. For OCR there isn’t much resources for questions apart from the actual exam papers which isn’t great. The project is quite fun but demanding.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest