The Student Room Group

Exchange for mature student with a child.

Has anyone studied abroad on a year exchange with their child/children? Any info/advice would be great, I am about to start a degree and am very keen to do a year abroad with my daughter who is 10 at the moment. Of course finances are going to be the biggest hurdle for us. The uni doesn't really know much more than 'yes its possible' but the inns and outs they don't know yet but are looking into.

Original post by Robynh25
Has anyone studied abroad on a year exchange with their child/children? Any info/advice would be great, I am about to start a degree and am very keen to do a year abroad with my daughter who is 10 at the moment. Of course finances are going to be the biggest hurdle for us. The uni doesn't really know much more than 'yes its possible' but the inns and outs they don't know yet but are looking into.

Well the major one is schooling for your daughter, unless your going to the US/Canada/Aus/NZ free schooling would be in another language that your daughter might not understand. You would normally have to pay lots to able to send her to an English medium school. Then there is the issue of childcare outside of this time- who would be doing that? Not to mention the stress it could cause her being torn away from her friends and being far from home.
Reply 2
I understand the schooling issue, she already speaks some Spanish as we spent a lot of time in Spain when she was younger and she went to a Spanish school for over a year. I wouldn't say she would be torn from friends and family! She is as keen to go abroad as I am for a year and to go to a foreign school, she is excited at the prospect of it and looks at it as a great opportunity for us to experience together.
We are looking at USA as I have quite a lot of family all over there so would try to get some where close to them. She would be 13/14 years old if/when we go and don't think childcare is going to be that big an issue but I'm confident if needed that there will be after school clubs/activities as there are here. But as USA has such a strict financial eligibility etc then Europe may be a better option. I just can't seem to find many people that have done this and there isn't much information around for students with children.
Original post by Robynh25
I understand the schooling issue, she already speaks some Spanish as we spent a lot of time in Spain when she was younger and she went to a Spanish school for over a year. I wouldn't say she would be torn from friends and family! She is as keen to go abroad as I am for a year and to go to a foreign school, she is excited at the prospect of it and looks at it as a great opportunity for us to experience together.
We are looking at USA as I have quite a lot of family all over there so would try to get some where close to them. She would be 13/14 years old if/when we go and don't think childcare is going to be that big an issue but I'm confident if needed that there will be after school clubs/activities as there are here. But as USA has such a strict financial eligibility etc then Europe may be a better option. I just can't seem to find many people that have done this and there isn't much information around for students with children.

That's fine if she is willing to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending