The Student Room Group

Nursing

Just finished access course for nursing. I'm 32 am I too old to start Nursing Studies (Child) at university ?
Reply 1
No, go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Natalie89+
I'm 32 am I too old to start Nursing Studies (Child) at university ?

Definitely not too old - I've mentored student nurses in their 40s!
Reply 3
I'm 52, I start my degree in September.
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
Definitely not too old - I've mentored student nurses in their 40s!

Thank you so much made me feel less anxious
Reply 5
I am a first year and on my cohort you wou be in the younger group.
Just finished access course for nursing. I'm 32 am I too old to start Nursing Studies (Child) at university ?

Hello @Natalie89+

I hope you’re well! There is no such thing as being too old to study at university! You may be classed as a mature student, but there is nothing wrong with that - go for it!

Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Hi Natalie, you are definitely not too old. I think its admirable and shows you are a determined person. If anything, your life experiences will add great value to whichever university/course you choose, and the younger cohort can definitely learn and benefit from you.
Nope!
I’ll be 32 when I start adult nursing in September
Reply 9

Nope. Oldest I've seen is 40+ years old on my course, you're never too old to start.

I'm studying child nursing right now, so feel free to PM me or reply to me here if you have any questions!

Hi!

Congratulations on completing your nursing access course! I do not think any age is too old for university especially nursing. I study Children’s Nursing at Southampton and there are many mature students in my cohort (over the age of 21). I think mature students contribute an important outlook that those who have just finished A-Levels might lack as they may not have the life experience.I personally find what they add to the course really valuable and I’m sure you would be part of this.

Southampton provides great support as students move through their nursing studies and they hold a transition day for only our mature students and some events are exclusive. Alongside this you would have the same opportunities as any other student to join over 200 societies and clubs and get stuck into student life and discover new hobbies and passions.

Children’s Nursing at Southampton is an amazing course and I could not recommend it enough! If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Caitlin (Children’s Nursing) 😊
University of Southampton (Official Rep)

Hello! You are absolutely not too old to start a new career - everyone is on their own individual paths so if this is your time, go for it!! I'm sure you'll have lots of experience to contribute to lectures and whilst on placement.

There is no upper age limit for changing career and training to become a nurse. I've just finished my first year studying children's nursing and would say around half of my cohert are 'mature students'. I've found I have learnt a lot from the mature students in my group, and we are all in the same boat regardless of age!

Best of luck with your future studies :smile:
Ruth
WrexhamUniReps
Reply 12

No you are not to old for nursing. Get yourself prepared for your nursing degree and enjoy your next three years as a student nurse.

You'll probably find that you are amongst a lot of older students who are doing nursing as well plus you'll have the young ones.

I was 26 when I went and did my midwife degree and I was amazed to see students older than myself as I was in a group with 3 nearly 50 year olds and they went onto qualify at the same time as myself.

As long as you are competent enough then you'll be absolutely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending