The Student Room Group

I'm Mad Vlad, Ask Me Anything

Scroll to see replies

Has this been posted yet? @Mad Vlad

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
I tagged him in his own thread, which he has not asked us to stop. Yet I'm being targeted.
@SA-1@zKlown@difeo@swirly@Dirtybit@TornadoGR4
Campaign against me?

Just aceppt and forget. And ignore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mad Vlad
In a month's time, it'll be 10 years since I joined TSR. In that time a lot has happened in my life and TSR has, weirdly, had a part to play in a lot of that.

From flunking my A-Levels, dropping out of uni and wanting to end it all, figuring out that I was queer, Marriage, Divorce, getting a degree and now working as a high flying consultant in Information Security. I've had a very interesting roller-coaster ride over the last decade.

I'm bored, (and a little drunk) so, ask me anything.

What is the starting salary like in information security and how long have you worked in security? What work experience and security certifications does an undergraduate student need to grab a security consultant job around graduation?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Black Rose
Never worked for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope.

Depends who you're working for and where. With my experience, I started on about £27k down in the South East, but you can start around £30k if you manage to bag to top position. I've worked in security 4 years now. Depends on the company and the role. Personally, when I'm looking for candidates, I couldn't really give a rats arse about certifications and directly relevant experience. What I'm looking for is technical ability, geekiness, a clear passion for the domain and learning new skills, a good communicator, and most of all, ethics and trustworthiness. I'm a real world network defender, rather than an infosec bod, though. If you're looking to go down that more consultative route, then you may be expected to have a different set of skills. I've done both consultancy and technical network defence, and the one thing I'll say is that in my view, you can't be a consultant unless you've fought on the front line. I worked in my company's CIRT before being a consultant, and then moved back into internal network security in my current role, and it gives you a big edge over those that just went and started their careers with the Big 4, for instance.
What football team do you support?
What is the most important lesson you have learnt from life so far?
Do you have any other regrets or aspirations?

Quick Reply

Latest