Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull Uni Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Bektas

Also when was you allowed to move in to halls?

http://www2.hull.ac.uk/student/hullaccommodation/downloads.aspx

"Hull campus Pre-Arrival Guide" - Page 7
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by Bektas
When was freshers week? Is it the week prior to the semester start date or after?

And when do lectures start properly?

Also when was you allowed to move in to halls?

Sorry for the amount of questions!

Freshers week is usually the first week of semester. It can sometimes be combined with some introductory lectures and stuff with your course, but it all depend on what they have planned in terms of starting your course

Lectures then start properly on the week after freshers...after you've had a weekend to recover!

I was allowed to move into halls on the last weekend in September...which was 2 days before freshers week started

No worries about the amount of questions. I don't mind answering :smile:

Ask away if you have any more questions :smile:
Original post by EducationReject
x

Thanks alot dude! +rep

Just a few more questions if you don't mind :redface:

What was the first few hours after arriving like?

How much did you spend during freshers?

If you are semi-catered, what was the food like and how were the portions? Was it all you can eat?

Were plates/cutlery required (if you're semi catered)? If so what/how many did you take?

I'll probably have a few more questions later on, sorry again. :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by raz373
I'll be doing geography hopefully, how about you :smile:

Cool, I'm doing English and Theatre Joint Honours :smile:
Original post by Bektas
Thanks alot dude! +rep

Just a few more questions if you don't mind :redface:

What was the first few hours after arriving like?

How much did you spend during freshers?

If you are semi-catered, what was the food like and how were the portions? Was it all you can eat?

Were plates/cutlery required (if you're semi catered)? If so what/how many did you take?

I'll probably have a few more questions later on, sorry again. :colondollar:

Thanks for the rep :smile:

I don't mind more questions :smile:

The first few hours are really good. You meet practically everyone in the rooms surrounding yours, as everyone is wanting to settle in and get to know each other, and most people are really open and friendly aswell. It's all quite busy as everyone is trying to move in and stuff, but everyone is in the same position, so it's good fun :smile:

How much you spend during freshers relies very much on how much you drink, how many different places you want to go to, and if you get the freshers wristband...if these are being offered this year? I'm not sure if they are yet. But most of the clubs and stuff tend to have discounted entry and drinks during freshers, and some of your new friends might buy you a drink too. You can spend as much or as little as you want really. I know people who managed to spend a couple of hundred pounds, and others that only spent £30ish, so it all depends really

I was in self catered at the Lawns, but I did go for a meal there on the moving in weekend. You tended to get given a portion of the main bit of the meal (like a slice of a pie for example) but then chips and potatoes and salad and stuff was where you helped yourself, so you could get as much as you liked....leaving stuff for everyone else of course lol

The food wasn't too bad. It's not a home cooked meal, but theres generally something to suit everyones taste

Plates and cutlery were only provided in the actually catering facilites, so in the lawns it was provided in the lawns centre, but if you made food in your kitchen, you were expected to provide your own plates and cutlery and pans etc. I just bought a box of standard plates/bowls etc...which was made for 4 people, but its always handy to have extras incase you break one, or get lazy and don't want to wash up straight away if your having a night out or whatever lol...same with cutlery...I took plenty (4 peoples worth again) for the same washing up reasons, and incase any got lost in the kitchens and stuff lol

I think that answered everything. Sorry for the long reply lol

Feel free to ask away if you have any more questions. I don't mind :smile:

You can add me as a friend on here if you want if it makes it easier for you to find me again to ask more questions
likewise - any questions i'm happy to answer :smile:
was in lambert D at the lawns in the year just gone

oh and by the way Professor Green and Sara Cox are 2 of the acts doing freshers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1386
likewise - any questions i'm happy to answer
was in lambert at the lawns in the year just gone

Hey :smile:, i'm going to be in lambert this year (block A) room 15.
But what floor is room 15 on?
And what are the facilities like in lambert? i.e. kitchen, wi-fi, bathrooms, general stuff like that.
Oh, and what are the wardens like at allowing guests to stop a night?

Original post by alfl05
But what floor is room 15 on?
And what are the facilities like in lambert? i.e. kitchen, wi-fi, bathrooms, general stuff like that.
Oh, and what are the wardens like at allowing guests to stop a night?

hello, unfortunately I was in Lambert D which is the en-suite part of Lambert.
I know A,B and C are slightly different inside to D and E (which are en-suite).
I think bathrooms are between about 7 people and would think 15 is close to the top floor if not on the top floor. Not sure about kitchens in those blocks either - sorry!
None of the lawns halls is Wi-fi, you will need to bring a ethanet cable to connect you up, but once connected the connection is fast :smile:
Just a note - probably will not have internet for the first few days until you officially register with the uni as they then clear your relevant user ID.

Lambert has 2 washers and 2 dryers that are in the entrance to Lambert B block, they work on a swipe card type system which you have to top up online.

The warden acted very strict and was quite scary during the first few weeks especially the first 2 and on her introductory talk - stating all the rules and do this and don't do that. But I think that was just trying to get everyone onside, as after about 4/5 weeks in she basically left us alone unless someone was doing something ridiculous!
Officially your supposed to sign a guest in using Ihall (online Uni of Hull hall system) and there's supposed to be no more than 2 guests in a block at a time and guests aren't supposed to stay for more than 2 nights.

But from my experience last year, as long as your guest doesn't start trashing the place, the warden is quite happy to let it go. People within my block, including myself, frequently had their girlfriends/boyfriends/friends from home staying for a few days (Friday to Monday kind of thing) and often at the same time. Indeed when the End of Year Ball came, everyone who was left in the block had a guest! So don't be too worried about whether or not someone will be allowed to stay as they will :smile:

Anything else just ask :smile:
Reply 1388
Finally! I'm living at 96 Cottingham Road. Anyone nearby?
Reply 1389
Hello, I've just accepted my contract. I'm staying on 8 Ferens Avenue and I really want to know which of the 3 Student Houses I saw there ( on google street view) is going to be the one in which I am going to stay. I am an international student so I don't really understand how they are numbered. I have my "8 Ferens Avenue" address and this number "FA008003A". Can someone please be kind enough as to tell me which of those houses is that number ? :colondollar: Thank you !
i think A and B applies to old block and new block at needler (don't know which way round)
I´m living at 13 Cranbrock Avenue. Anyone else at 13 Cranbrock Avenue or nearby?
Original post by captainox
i think A and B applies to old block and new block at needler (don't know which way round)

i dont think i got the sink
but i cant remember whether the new block or old block has sinks hahaha
does it refer to a floor or anything?
Original post by alfl05

Im going to be in Lambert A (Room 10) too, so err hi! :smile:

Original post by captainox

oh and by the way Professor Green and Sara Cox are 2 of the acts doing freshers.

As in THE Professor Green! Is that for definite or not? I saw Tinie Tempah was on last year...
Reply 1394
Original post by Koodelington

As in THE Professor Green! Is that for definite or not? I saw Tinie Tempah was on last year...

Yeh on the freshers page on fb for this coming year it says Professor Green and Sara Cox. In Hull we have freedom festival every year and usually a few of the acts from that in early September do the freshers week
Original post by andyt64
Yeh on the freshers page on fb for this coming year it says Professor Green and Sara Cox. In Hull we have freedom festival every year and usually a few of the acts from that in early September do the freshers week

Oh great thanks, wow thats pretty cool, love Pro Green :colone:
Reply 1396
Original post by Koodelington
Oh great thanks, wow thats pretty cool, love Pro Green :colone:

no worries man hopefully some other good acts will be on for us this year :biggrin:
Reply 1397
Original post by pink*lemonade
Cool, I'm doing English and Theatre Joint Honours :smile:

That sounds like too much hard work for me lol. guess I'll see you on moving in day then :smile:
Original post by Leiny
Hi, I've been put in Taylor Court (It was my 2nd choice)

Is there anyone else from the UK who will be staying there?

Me. Finally someone else :biggrin:
I've just be re-allocated to 65 Cranbrook Avenue, anyone in my house or living near by?

Quick Reply

Latest