The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Basiji
why are man united in for Vidal and we're not? If this bs of no such thing as a proper DM is true, then we should be in for this guy. One of the best B2B midfielders out there. Sanchez and Wenger do the ting man.

Vidal has also played as a ball winner as well, he'd be essentially a big upgrade on flamini.

If Wenger tells one of the wing backs to stay deeper and you get the wingers to keep the width then I can see how it can work. Vidal is an improvement on anybody's midfield regardless, like with Ozil or Mata, even if you don't need them, buy them if they're available.
Liking what you lot are doing so far this transfer window.

Especially with Alexis :adore:
If Negredo was available you think Arsenal should enter the race for him?? Highly unlikely to happen but worth a shot. He'd be a decent player for us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 983
I really hope Wenger doesn't sell poldolski, I'll keep even if it's just for PR hahaha
Its quite clear that we would rather have a player in the Schneiderlin or Martinez mold, but it isn't going to happen this season, unless we pay over the expected market value for said players, which is something we don't do in principle.

Khedira doesn't play like a defensive midfielder at Madrid, but if you look at his stats from the 2012/2013 season he makes tackles, intercepts, and wins aerial duels more often than not. The major issue with Flamini and Arteta is the defensive errors they make (Arteta in particular), and lack of a physical presence (Arteta loses more aerial duels than he wins). Some of you are making it out as if he will give no protection to the back four whatsoever?

I expect him to be an upgrade on Flamteta, which he will be. I think Wenger understands that its a running game now, so a Khedira-Ramsey double pivot would be great. A lot of people underestimate Ramsey's defensive contributions, forgetting that, when fit, he's one of the best defenders in the team...
Original post by little_tom
Khedira doesn't play like a defensive midfielder at Madrid, but if you look at his stats from the 2012/2013 season he makes tackles, intercepts, and wins aerial duels more often than not. The major issue with Flamini and Arteta is the defensive errors they make (Arteta in particular), and lack of a physical presence (Arteta loses more aerial duels than he wins). Some of you are making it out as if he will give no protection to the back four whatsoever?

He hardly made any interceptions in 12-13. The only time in his career that he has looked even remotely like a DM is 10-11. Look at his stats and then compare them to someone like Schneiderlin, factor in the fee and wages, and you will see why I am so against signing him.
Original post by pane123
He hardly made any interceptions in 12-13. The only time in his career that he has looked even remotely like a DM is 10-11. Look at his stats and then compare them to someone like Schneiderlin, factor in the fee and wages, and you will see why I am so against signing him.

I said we would rather have him but we will not get him, if you had been following the stories properly you would know that.

Alonso is the player with most defensive responsibilities in Madrid, so obviously Khedira will only average one interception a game (which isn't uncommon for most box to box midfielders in fact). I don't understand why you keep citing his stats and then saying "he's not a DM" - we know? We are arguing that a double-pivot with Ramsey and a more conservative Khedira could work, and it will definately be an upgrade to Arteta.

Again, people underestimate the defensive capabilities of Ramsey. He boasts similar defensive stats to Vidal yet if we had a Vidal-Khedira double-pivot no one would question the transfer.
When is Walcott back?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
When is Walcott back?

September supposedly

inb4 setbacks keep him out til april
Is Walcott coming back?

Is Diaby really injured?
Original post by little_tom
I said we would rather have him but we will not get him, if you had been following the stories properly you would know that.

Alonso is the player with most defensive responsibilities in Madrid, so obviously Khedira will only average one interception a game (which isn't uncommon for most box to box midfielders in fact). I don't understand why you keep citing his stats and then saying "he's not a DM" - we know? We are arguing that a double-pivot with Ramsey and a more conservative Khedira could work, and it will definately be an upgrade to Arteta.

Again, people underestimate the defensive capabilities of Ramsey. He boasts similar defensive stats to Vidal yet if we had a Vidal-Khedira double-pivot no one would question the transfer.

Jesus Christ. If it's not "if you watched football" it's "if you read stories". As I've said, I do. At no point in my previous post did I say Arsenal should sign Schneiderlin, I just said if you compare his stats to Khedira's you won't find anything to suggest that Khedira will be effective in a deeper role. He is expensive and he's not the player Arsenal need. I would much rather make do with Arteta than spend huge money on a player whose role isn't really known. Do you have anything to suggest that it will "most definitely be an upgrade to Arteta"?

A lot of people would question the transfer given, especially considering that Khedira wants more money than Ozil and Sanchez. Even if you put footballing ability to one side for a second, do you really think Khedira is as marketable as those two?

And your point about Ramsey is valid, but it raises the question of who pushes forward in this double-pivot? Leaving Ramsey sitting in an Alonso like role would not only be a risk but also a complete waste of his attacking ability, while leaving Khedira sitting back carries immense risk for the reasons I've highlighted. I would take Khedira at the right price, but that's much, much lower than Arsenal will be able to get him for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 991
lmao so there never was any talks with Khedira or his agent about a transfer

just tells you to call bull**** on every single rumour until you see the player in a shirt
Original post by AR_95

just tells you to call bull**** on every single rumour until you see the player in a shirt

And how do you know this is not bull****?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95

sauce?

tommy will be gutted
​Agents talk bs all day long, it's their job.
Original post by SarcasticMel
​Agents talk bs all day long, it's their job.

Usually to raise the price and bargaining position of their client, in which case saying that Arsenal/Chelsea are not involved with him would be counter productive.
Original post by pane123
Jesus Christ. If it's not "if you watched football" it's "if you read stories". As I've said, I do. At no point in my previous post did I say Arsenal should sign Schneiderlin, I just said if you compare his stats to Khedira's you won't find anything to suggest that Khedira will be effective in a deeper role. He is expensive and he's not the player Arsenal need. I would much rather make do with Arteta than spend huge money on a player whose role isn't really known. Do you have anything to suggest that it will "most definitely be an upgrade to Arteta"?

A lot of people would question the transfer given, especially considering that Khedira wants more money than Ozil and Sanchez. Even if you put footballing ability to one side for a second, do you really think Khedira is as marketable as those two?

And your point about Ramsey is valid, but it raises the question of who pushes forward in this double-pivot? Leaving Ramsey sitting in an Alonso like role would not only be a risk but also a complete waste of his attacking ability, while leaving Khedira sitting back carries immense risk for the reasons I've highlighted. I would take Khedira at the right price, but that's much, much lower than Arsenal will be able to get him for.

Then why bring him into the discussion? I was obviously alluding to lack of quality DMs on the market. In terms of transfer fee? Its not expensive, especially in today's market, we're talking about a player that would probably command 35M if it wasn't due to him being on the last year of his contract. He's at his peak and won it all, if he joins us it will be his last contract, hence why his agent is trying to get him a pay-rise, but if he wants the salary he's asking we will not sign him.

The reason why I think he would do better than Arteta? He's more physical than him, wins more aerial duels, is more intelligent (quite clearly if you watch both of them play, Khedira can utilize space better). I have trust in Wenger to get the best out of him defensively (assuming that's what his role will be, no one even knows yet).
Original post by AR_95

Herrera's agent claimed he had no contact with United and he was more likely to stay with Bilbao. I would take what agents say with a pinch of salt, especially when Sky Sports reported there has been contact and Marca (Madrid's mouthpiece) have confirmed it on the other end.
Original post by So Instinct
Usually to raise the price and bargaining position of their client, in which case saying that Arsenal/Chelsea are not involved with him would be counter productive.

Or he spread those rumours to get Madrid to give Khedira a better offer, but all along he wanted to stay and so saying Khedira was never interested in anyone else shows he is still committed to Real.

Latest