The Student Room Group

Passed my test in January, dad just let me drive back home in his automatic

Okay I passed my test for my manual car licence in January, haven't touched a car since then.
Just now me and my dad were coming home and he allowed me to drive his Range Rover back home, which is an automatic. I was literally terrible, very very jittery on the bricks, hard breaking unnecessarily, hesitant on a straight road. On the edge of my seat all the way home. This has really taken a shot at my confidence.

Is this normal when you drive for the first time without your instructor after your test?
I feel as though it might have been because I learned in a peugot 207 and a range rover is a lot bigger. I was driving through small streets and it was a nightmare.
I was planning on getting a car before I start my second year of uni, so next few weeks but I'm really nervous now. And sitting with my dad in the car just makes me more nervous.
Original post by TSA
I feel as though it might have been because I learned in a peugot 207 and a range rover is a lot bigger. I was driving through small streets and it was a nightmare.
I was planning on getting a car before I start my second year of uni, so next few weeks but I'm really nervous now. And sitting with my dad in the car just makes me more nervous.

You arent the only one. I was the same when i had my dad in the car.
Original post by Emma:-)
You arent the only one. I was the same when i had my dad in the car.

What did you do?

I think it might be because when I had the instructor in my car I wasn't that concerned about crashing but when I am I'm driving my dads car and I can feel him just looking at me thinking you better not crash. :redface:
Original post by TSA
What did you do?

I think it might be because when I had the instructor in my car I wasn't that concerned about crashing but when I am I'm driving my dads car and I can feel him just looking at me thinking you better not crash. :redface:

You slowly get over it. I think it will be better once you get your own car as you will be driving your own car and not his.
Reply 5
Just a few things that I did when I first started driving my own car a couple weeks ago:

- Drove the wrong way into oncoming traffic on a 2-lane, one-way road;
- dangerously cut in front of several people on roundabouts (because I wasn't in the correct lane for my exit);
- drove at night in the dark with NO headlights;
- stalled about 300 times;
- absolutely wrecking the living crap out of my clutch.

Overall, I'm really bad at driving. Three weeks in and I'm struggling so much with controlling the new car (stalling a lot and being really bad on the clutch). I'm hoping that I'll improve as I gain more experience, but that remains to be seen. I drive between 10 and 20 miles every weekday, in really busy traffic and in a really big city. The roundabouts are the scariest part. At times I'm too hesitant to join the roundabout, at other times I pull out dangerously in front of cars coming around from the right. It's quite tricky.

So, to answer your question: yes, I think it's perfectly normal. Get some P plates and just get stuck in, no one is going to hold your hand now, things are gonna be a little messy but you have to stick with it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stinkum
Just a few things that I did when I first started driving my own car a couple weeks ago:

- dangerously cut in front of several people on roundabouts (because I wasn't in the correct lane for my exit);

Overall, I'm really bad at driving. Three weeks in and I'm struggling so much with controlling the new car (stalling a lot and being really bad on the clutch). I'm hoping that I'll improve as I gain more experience, but that remains to be seen. I drive between 10 and 20 miles every weekday, in really busy traffic and in a really big city. The roundabouts are the scariest part. At times I'm too hesitant to join the roundabout, at other times I pull out dangerously in front of cars coming around from the right. It's quite tricky.

So, to answer your question: yes, I think it's perfectly normal. Get some P plates and just get stuck in, no one is going to hold your hand now, things are gonna be a little messy but you have to stick with it.

Thanks it's nice to know others are the same. My dad did tell me this was to be expected but I didn't really take any notice until I got in the car. Hopefully it'll improve.
Original post by Stinkum

Saw a Police car doing that yesterday hahaha.
Original post by Stinkum

I did that on my test:eek:
(Well before the examiner yanked the steering wheel to stop me)
What did you do when you realised?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Me123456789
I did that on my test:eek:
(Well before the examiner yanked the steering wheel to stop me)
What did you do when you realised?

Oh dear! Luckily there was enough empty road ahead of me, I was able to quickly turn into a road and avoid the oncoming cars. A very worrying experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending