The Student Room Group

Dad expects me to drive perfectly after having not driven for 6 months

Hello, so I passed my test about 6 months ago, but haven't driven since because I moved away for Uni. I don't even have insurance on a car right now.
But I'm going to England for the weekend with my parents (we live in Scotland). And my dad told me to he'll add me on his insurance since he wants me to drive.
I told him that I can't cos I haven't driven in 6 months.
He then proceeds to laugh and say "What? are youu scareeddd"
and tells me to stop being difficult.
Thing is, the reason I've never driven after passing was because my parents never trusted me in their car after an incident when I was learning, It's an Audi A6 and I hate driving it so much too cos of how big it is.
I don't get how he expects me to drive to all the way to England now.

No matter what, I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna drive. I just don't know what to tell my dad without him getting furious.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, so I passed my test about 6 months ago, but haven't driven since because I moved away for Uni. I don't even have insurance on a car right now.
But I'm going to England for the weekend with my parents (we live in Scotland). And my dad told me to he'll add me on his insurance since he wants me to drive.
I told him that I can't cos I haven't driven in 6 months.
He then proceeds to laugh and say "What? are youu scareeddd"
and tells me to stop being difficult.
Thing is, the reason I've never driven after passing was because my parents never trusted me in their car after an incident when I was learning, It's an Audi A6 and I hate driving it so much too cos of how big it is.
I don't get how he expects me to drive to all the way to England now.

No matter what, I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna drive. I just don't know what to tell my dad without him getting furious.

Try:

"Driving a few hundred miles would be a stressful, long trek for an experienced driver. I've got Xhrs lessons and X private practice and that was half a year ago. So no, I'm not comfortable with such a long drive to get me started, especially not in an A6 of all things. Sorry you're low empathy about it though bro.*"

*optional
Reply 2
Tell him that you are worried about driving after a long break, there is no shame in this. Unless he gets a bit more empathetic just don’t drive. If things ease up a bit maybe you could do a little bit to get your hand back in. Well done on passing, this does mean you’re driving to a good standard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending