The Student Room Group

Passed my test in November 22. Too scared to drive. Tips?

Hi everyone,

I decided to learn to drive a little older than most (I was 29 when I started). I was never fond of the idea. I did it more to make myself for mobile for my career and the kids.

I passed my theory and test first time, theory was by the skin of my teeth and my test wasn't overly amazing either (i got 5 minors).

Husband suprised me with a lovely car once i passed. But the nerves and imposter syndrome soon crept it. I felt like I shouldn't of passed when I did. I felt like I genuinely winged it or just got lucky.

I'm terrified to drive, I can do it but I feel like I'm not good enough to be there. It's affected me greatly and I haven't driven in about 3 months. Car is still there, it gets used by the other half for mini run arounds - but let's be honest, that's not what it's for.

I feel like I'll never get there. Not to mention the motorway makes me feel sick at the thought. I still get confused at some roadsigns and my reverse parking is pants!!

Sorry to be so negative, I just feel like I need to get my backside moving and over it!
What did you guys do to build up your confidence?

Thanks!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Cmcke91
Hi everyone,

I decided to learn to drive a little older than most (I was 29 when I started). I was never fond of the idea. I did it more to make myself for mobile for my career and the kids.

I passed my theory and test first time, theory was by the skin of my teeth and my test wasn't overly amazing either (i got 5 minors).

Husband suprised me with a lovely car once i passed. But the nerves and imposter syndrome soon crept it. I felt like I shouldn't of passed when I did. I felt like I genuinely winged it or just got lucky.

I'm terrified to drive, I can do it but I feel like I'm not good enough to be there. It's affected me greatly and I haven't driven in about 3 months. Car is still there, it gets used by the other half for mini run arounds - but let's be honest, that's not what it's for.

I feel like I'll never get there. Not to mention the motorway makes me feel sick at the thought. I still get confused at some roadsigns and my reverse parking is pants!!

Sorry to be so negative, I just feel like I need to get my backside moving and over it!

Thanks!

Hi, congratulations on passing your test. Is it possible your husband can supervise you until you feel confident on your own ? Also out of interest can I ask what car he bought you?
Go out and drive. Glib, but that's the only thing for it. Your confidence will build and it's always a new learning curve to start driving without supervision.
Reply 3
Original post by Maybach.
Hi, congratulations on passing your test. Is it possible your husband can supervise you until you feel confident on your own ? Also out of interest can I ask what car he bought you?

Yes of course. It's a Citreon C1 2020 plate. Lovely little thing, has lots of gadgets and great on fuel/insurance. But in hindsight I think with it still being relatively new it adds to my nerves! Still very grateful for it. But I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy something a few years old. Stick to older models instead!!
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Go out and drive. Glib, but that's the only thing for it. Your confidence will build and it's always a new learning curve to start driving without supervision.

Thanks! I'm going to start with little trips and go off peak hours. I think this will help a lot.
Original post by Cmcke91
Thanks! I'm going to start with little trips and go off peak hours. I think this will help a lot.

Sunday mornings are generally very quiet. Start tomorrow...! 😃
Reply 6
This is something that everyone has faced after learning driving. I did the following to help me get rid of that anxiety

Gone out late at night to a nearby empty plot and practised parking, reversing and coming to a stop and starting again.
Do the same with radio/sounds on
Try to control the electronics while driving at a slow pace.
Operate wipers and washer fluid while doing same.

As long as you are careful about the cars that are in front and back of you. you should be fine. GOOD LUCK
Reply 7
Original post by Cmcke91
Yes of course. It's a Citreon C1 2020 plate. Lovely little thing, has lots of gadgets and great on fuel/insurance. But in hindsight I think with it still being relatively new it adds to my nerves! Still very grateful for it. But I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy something a few years old. Stick to older models instead!!

Decent car especially as a first or 2nd car and it's pretty new too. They're small though and not an expensive car. They aren't that powerful but that's what a new drivers need. I'd reccomend just going out with your husband driving until you're confident on your own.
Reply 8
Original post by Maybach.
Decent car especially as a first or 2nd car and it's pretty new too. They're small though and not an expensive car. They aren't that powerful but that's what a new drivers need. I'd reccomend just going out with your husband driving until you're confident on your own.

Thanks! I will do. Its an automatic too, I decided I wanted an auto (passed test manual though) which makes it so easy to drive. Manages fine on the motorway too. I want a Toyota CHR or VW T-Roc next. Once I've gotten over my nerves haaaaa 😂😂😂
Reply 9
Original post by Reddy55
This is something that everyone has faced after learning driving. I did the following to help me get rid of that anxiety

Gone out late at night to a nearby empty plot and practised parking, reversing and coming to a stop and starting again.
Do the same with radio/sounds on
Try to control the electronics while driving at a slow pace.
Operate wipers and washer fluid while doing same.

As long as you are careful about the cars that are in front and back of you. you should be fine. GOOD LUCK

Thank you!! This is what I was thinking, going out then and during off peak x
Reply 10
Original post by Cmcke91
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Put some P plates on and go out with your husband or another experienced driver. Treat it like a refresher lesson so nothing to be worried about. You will soon get over the hump and will become confident to go on your own.
Reply 11
Original post by Cmcke91
Thanks! I will do. Its an automatic too, I decided I wanted an auto (passed test manual though) which makes it so easy to drive. Manages fine on the motorway too. I want a Toyota CHR or VW T-Roc next. Once I've gotten over my nerves haaaaa 😂😂😂

Cool, fair enough, all new cars going electric or hybrid by 2030 which are auto. Nice cars though. Im sure you will soon lool.
Reply 12
Hi, any updates?
Reply 13
hi how have u gotten on?
i have passed my test a few months ago but feeling similar to you
Reply 14
How did you get on with the motorway driving ?

(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending