The Student Room Group

How can i get extra practice for driving

Hi, so i have a test booked towards the end of next month but i only have 3 lessons with my instructor on this month before my test. My driving is okay but not the best but with some more practice in a month i can perfect it but the 3 lessons is not enough imo and my instructor has limited availability. There is no one else i can practice with as my family/friends drive an auto and i need to practice in a manual with the test routes. Does anyone have any advice? Should i ask a different instructor if they can just teach me test routes, but i will be taking the test with my current instructor. Is that okay, what should i do?
Original post by 230623
Hi, so i have a test booked towards the end of next month but i only have 3 lessons with my instructor on this month before my test. My driving is okay but not the best but with some more practice in a month i can perfect it but the 3 lessons is not enough imo and my instructor has limited availability. There is no one else i can practice with as my family/friends drive an auto and i need to practice in a manual with the test routes. Does anyone have any advice? Should i ask a different instructor if they can just teach me test routes, but i will be taking the test with my current instructor. Is that okay, what should i do?

Hello, I think I can offer some small advice.
I am currently learning to drive, (started last year in August), and I am learning in a manual car.
I'm sure you can rent a car for a day, or a couple of hours to practice on.
My family also drive automatic cars. Sometimes I ask my dad if he can teach me manoeuvres, in his automatic car, for an hour at least. It does not really affect the way you drive in a manual after that to be honest with you, so do not worry. I think this is a good way of doing some touch ups in practising manoeuvres, especially in parking.

When renting a car, maybe you can take a member of family with you, just so they take you through the routes to get practice.
This is just some of my general advice, I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by IntroNotExtro
Hello, I think I can offer some small advice.
I am currently learning to drive, (started last year in August), and I am learning in a manual car.
I'm sure you can rent a car for a day, or a couple of hours to practice on.
My family also drive automatic cars. Sometimes I ask my dad if he can teach me manoeuvres, in his automatic car, for an hour at least. It does not really affect the way you drive in a manual after that to be honest with you, so do not worry. I think this is a good way of doing some touch ups in practising manoeuvres, especially in parking.

When renting a car, maybe you can take a member of family with you, just so they take you through the routes to get practice.
This is just some of my general advice, I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much!
How can i rent a car?
Reply 3
Original post by 230623
Thank you so much!
How can i rent a car?

Don’t think you can rent a car as you need a full driving license to do that, and you need to be 21 years old min, if you are not.

Get another instructor for a few lessons. You will be more nervous as you are with another instructor, but that is a good thing as it will be great practice for the test. You can ask ask to have a mock test with them, which is even better.
Reply 4
Original post by lalexm
Don’t think you can rent a car as you need a full driving license to do that, and you need to be 21 years old min, if you are not.

Get another instructor for a few lessons. You will be more nervous as you are with another instructor, but that is a good thing as it will be great practice for the test. You can ask ask to have a mock test with them, which is even better.

Hey, yeah i think thats the plan i will be taking. Do you think i should tell either of the instructors this though or not?
Reply 5
Original post by 230623
Hey, yeah i think thats the plan i will be taking. Do you think i should tell either of the instructors this though or not?

Yes, there is no reason not to tell them. Your current instructor can’t provide the practice you need prior to your test, so really can’t see why telling him would be an issue, and the new instructor will know as you are almost ready for your test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending