The Student Room Group

Looking for a good Air Purifier....

Looking for a good air purifier as me and some family members suffer from asthma. The one i have already isn't very good so willing to spend a little bit more money for a better one. budget around £200

preferably should have good cadr rating unless this is just some kind of gimmick

thanks
Bump
Original post by oh-my-diddy
Bump

For our UK home which is in a smallish village with some farming operations nearby we use this one called Airfree P150 for the ground floor where there is an open plan kitchen, dining and living room. It works very well but you must make sure that you buy a unit that corresponds to the room size it will be located in. The good thing about this is there are no filters and it makes no noise at all.

For the bedroom my eldest daughter sleeps in we have a Honeywell HA170E1. It is a good one for the room size, I tried it but didn't like it in the bedroom as it does make some noise. The filters does need replacement every 2-3 months depending on room size and usage but it is a very good ones as this one filters out just about everything.

You should try getting some indoor air purifying plants as well, it definitely can help.

Whichever one you get, it is always important to note whether it is a true HEPA filter and what is the cubic airflow rate and whether that is sufficient for your room size.
Original post by Alfissti
For our UK home which is in a smallish village with some farming operations nearby we use this one called Airfree P150 for the ground floor where there is an open plan kitchen, dining and living room. It works very well but you must make sure that you buy a unit that corresponds to the room size it will be located in. The good thing about this is there are no filters and it makes no noise at all.

For the bedroom my eldest daughter sleeps in we have a Honeywell HA170E1. It is a good one for the room size, I tried it but didn't like it in the bedroom as it does make some noise. The filters does need replacement every 2-3 months depending on room size and usage but it is a very good ones as this one filters out just about everything.

You should try getting some indoor air purifying plants as well, it definitely can help.

Whichever one you get, it is always important to note whether it is a true HEPA filter and what is the cubic airflow rate and whether that is sufficient for your room size.

Thank you very much for the response, I appreciate it

I'm intending to have it primarily in my room, which is medium sized. Noise isn't too much of an issue as I'm quite a deep sleeper anyway

I do suffer from quite severe eczema as well so there tends to be allot more dust in the room so may need a bigger unit than for the standard room size.

What do you mean by air purifying plants? And do you know anything about cadr ratings and if they are reliable?

Thanks!
Thank you very much for the response, I appreciate it

I'm intending to have it primarily in my room, which is medium sized. Noise isn't too much of an issue as I'm quite a deep sleeper anyway

I do suffer from quite severe eczema as well so there tends to be allot more dust in the room so may need a bigger unit than for the standard room size.

What do you mean by air purifying plants? And do you know anything about cadr ratings and if they are reliable?

Thanks!

CADR isn't the be all and end all when it comes to purifiers as it is simply along the lines of how fast the air in the room will be purified.

As long as the purifier is suitable for the room size then it will have a sufficient CADR, it is more important that the purifier is a HEPA or pure HEPA meaning it is a 0.3 micron and 99.97 or more, for the most part CADR isn't that critical unless you have people who smoke in the house, have an open fire place or you live next to a place with very high particulate matter which is rare in UK unless you live near a quarry or a cement factory.

The Honeywell one should be a good one for you.

You might also want to get an ionizer if you have dust issues.

Also is your floor carpet or wood? If it is carpet changing it to wood or laminate floors does help significantly.

You can read up on plants here :-
http://www.houseofplants.co.uk/freshairindoorplants.htm
CADR isn't the be all and end all when it comes to purifiers as it is simply along the lines of how fast the air in the room will be purified.

As long as the purifier is suitable for the room size then it will have a sufficient CADR, it is more important that the purifier is a HEPA or pure HEPA meaning it is a 0.3 micron and 99.97 or more, for the most part CADR isn't that critical unless you have people who smoke in the house, have an open fire place or you live next to a place with very high particulate matter which is rare in UK unless you live near a quarry or a cement factory.

The Honeywell one should be a good one for you.

You might also want to get an ionizer if you have dust issues.

Also is your floor carpet or wood? If it is carpet changing it to wood or laminate floors does help significantly.

You can read up on plants here :-
http://www.houseofplants.co.uk/freshairindoorplants.htm

I see. OK that clears up alot. Thank you

Yh I have wooden laminate so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've looked into that air free one and it seems very interesting in the way it works. However I'm a little skeptical on how effective it would be at removing dust. Which one out of the two would you say is better at removing dust?

Wow I've never come across plants like these. Thanks a lot I'll look into it

I've looked into that air free one and it seems very interesting in the way it works. However I'm a little skeptical on how effective it would be at removing dust. Which one out of the two would you say is better at removing dust?

It will depend on what kind of heating system your house has, if it is a radiator then you are better off with a fan system.
It will depend on what kind of heating system your house has, if it is a radiator then you are better off with a fan system.

Yes we have a central heating system. Right ok I've just moved into a bigger room and I've been looking into a more powerful alternatives. I'm wondering what you think of this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-AC230-Compact-Purifier-Filtration/dp/B009DFZLBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406578384&sr=8-1&keywords=delonghi+ac230

Thanks
Yes we have a central heating system. Right ok I've just moved into a bigger room and I've been looking into a more powerful alternatives. I'm wondering what you think of this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-AC230-Compact-Purifier-Filtration/dp/B009DFZLBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406578384&sr=8-1&keywords=delonghi+ac230

Thanks

The performance seems good.

Not a bad price too.
The performance seems good.

Not a bad price too.

What i like about it is that it tells you how good the air quality in the room is. But this particular model is suitable for rooms of 80m2 which is way more than what my room is. The thing is the next one down from this which is the AC150 isn't as good as the honeywell one that you quoted previously.

An odd dilemma i must say lol
(edited 9 years ago)
What i like about it is that it tells you how good the air quality in the room is. But this particular model is suitable for rooms of 80m2 which is way more than what my room is. The thing is the next one down from this which is the AC150 isn't as good as the honeywell one that you quoted previously.

An odd dilemma i must say lol

Do also check how much it cost to replace the filter, the good side of Honeywell purifiers is the filter is easily available from almost anywhere, the same can't be said about many other brands.
Do also check how much it cost to replace the filter, the good side of Honeywell purifiers is the filter is easily available from almost anywhere, the same can't be said about many other brands.

Good point. The replacement for this one seems to be £35 ish per month. I also don't even know if its "true" HEPA either

Do you know any alternative units? Need it to be powerful enough for 30 or 40m2 and above

Cheers
Good point. The replacement for this one seems to be £35 ish per month. I also don't even know if its "true" HEPA either

Do you know any alternative units? Need it to be powerful enough for 30 or 40m2 and above

Cheers

The Honeywell one is probably the best one that is within your budget.

There is a very good one by IQAir but they cost in the £800 range and their filters are 0.003 Micron rather than 0.3 Micron of a HEPA filter. I currently have one on loan for evaluative purposes and I have to say you do get what you pay for.
The Honeywell one is probably the best one that is within your budget.

There is a very good one by IQAir but they cost in the £800 range and their filters are 0.003 Micron rather than 0.3 Micron of a HEPA filter. I currently have one on loan for evaluative purposes and I have to say you do get what you pay for.

I see. I was hoping Honeywell would do a more powerful version as the version you've mentioned is for 20m2 rooms which is smaller than my room which is something like 25 to 30. Do you think it would make much difference?
I see. I was hoping Honeywell would do a more powerful version as the version you've mentioned is for 20m2 rooms which is smaller than my room which is something like 25 to 30. Do you think it would make much difference?

I took a look at the Honeywell catalogue, for residential usage it doesn't go beyond 20sqm for EU countries.

Looking through my trade publications for hotels and F&B outlets, it does appear that much of the good air purifiers for large rooms are not sold in EU countries, the ones for 30sqm that I can see available in UK is the Coway 1009 series. It does get fairly good reviews in Asia where they are extremely popular (Generally if you want to know how good air purifiers are you should read what the Singaporeans and Koreans have to say about it)

It would still work, what you could do is place the purifier above the headboard of your bed (around 3ft up) and it should make a big difference with regard to air quality while you are asleep.

The other you could do is to keep the door and windows closed when you are not in the room and start that purifier around 1 hour or so before you get into the room.

I forgot to add in the earlier post, one thing that can significantly make a difference in the room where the air purifier is under specification is to assist it with a fairly decent ionizer. You will however need to vacuum the room at least twice a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending