The Student Room Group

Old A Level papers

Is there any location where I can find details of the old (preferably around 1950/1960s) syllabus for A Level maths, along with any past papers/notes for these topics?

Also, which books are there that cover these topics and are still available now (it doesn't matter if they're slightly out of print as long as they're available from the internet).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silentshadows
Is there any location where I can find details of the old (preferably around 1950/1960s) syllabus for A Level maths, along with any past papers/notes for these topics?

Also, which books are there that cover these topics and are still available now (it doesn't matter if they're slightly out of print as long as they're available from the internet).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt that you'll be able to find them. There are copyright issues which is why exam boards generally don't allow public access to old papers. Your best hope would probably be emailing the exam board and asking if you can buy old papers.
There's a few on this site, I don't think the A Level maths one is there though (they have O level, which I think was the equivalent of GCSE)

http://www.burtongrammar.co.uk/category/life-and-times/school-exams
(edited 9 years ago)

search for jmb a level maths - there are plenty available

Posted from TSR Mobile

Books by Dakin & Porter were standard texts when I taught A level in those days.
Porter's Further Mathematics is a free download at
https://archive.org/details/FurtherMathematics.
Other good standard texts are those bt Bostock & Chandler and Quadling & Ramsay for Mexchanics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by brianeverit

Brian could you remove the last link? It may be clean but Sabbir, the owner, is known to me and has previously distributed malware from that site. He also used to sell herbal remedies that he promised would cure cancer and diabetes but that is another story.
Original post by Mr M
Brian could you remove the last link? It may be clean but Sabbir, the owner, is known to me and has previously distributed malware from that site. He also used to sell herbal remedies that he promised would cure cancer and diabetes but that is another story.

You know the oddest people.
Original post by TenOfThem
You know the oddest people.

My other friend is currently serving a TSR ban.
Original post by Mr M

No, I'm not.

I have A level English Lit papers dating back to 1948 up in the attic somewhere, but I don't suppose that's any use to any one... A retiring teacher gave them to me when I was first starting out. I guess it's my turn to pass the baton on soon. It used to be possible to buy bound copies of a whole year's O level papers back in the days of the JMB. I have one for somewhere in the region of 1975 in the same pointless mouldering archive in the attic. I just can't quite bring myself to chuck them away, given their rarity, but I guess they should go. OP should try ebay, perhaps.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
No, I'm not.

I meant "friend" not friend. I'm referring to the nutjob you asked me about the other day.
No, I'm not.

Original post by Mr M
I meant "friend" not friend. I'm referring to the nutjob you asked me about the other day.

Have you 2 been seeing each other behind my back?
Original post by Mr M

Aahh, yes... And you certainly weren't wrong there!
Original post by TenOfThem
Have you 2 been seeing each other behind my back?

Didn't know you were an item. Soz.
Didn't know you were an item. Soz.

s'ok

I don't mind sharing :cool:
Didn't know you were an item

Neither did I.
Original post by Mr M

Is it someone on my ignore list?

I do like to free a spot up now and then.
Original post by Mr M
Neither did I.

Call me Cupid.

Actually, there aren't any old papers for sale on ebay, I'm surprised to see, given the other shedloads of ephemera and junk you can get. I suggest OP tries asking old relatives in case they saved them.

Quick Reply

Latest