The Student Room Group

Maths a level

Guys can someone tell me the difference between the old spec and new spec? like what is core 1,2 and 3? I wanna do old spec questions for practice too so does anyone know
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Thanks !
Could you send the link?
Original post by Always.working
Guys can someone tell me the difference between the old spec and new spec? like what is core 1,2 and 3? I wanna do old spec questions for practice too so does anyone know

I think it's mostly how the papers are arranged. A lot of the material are essentially the same, but the way they are examining it is different. At the time, they wanted to change the specs to deter people from constantly resitting their papers.

Core 1, 2, and 3 are EdExcel's pure maths content. If you're going by the exam papers in the new spec, they would be the same pure maths content for Paper 1, and the first halves of Papers 2 and 3.

The old spec is generally more difficult though, acorrding to various sources.

Unfortunately I don't know of any sources that would still have these old spec papers uploaded. I woudl think they are in some internet archive somewhere. However, if the exam boards are not keen to publish these papers (along with the answers) on their sites, it's not likely that you would be able to get a hand on them.
If you can't find them on the internet, then asking the exam boards would be your next best bet.

Quick Reply

Latest