The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open degree

I'm starting an open degree in October, with my first module as Introduction to Psychology. I plan to study Creative Writing and Psychology modules together in the future.

Is anyone else doing an open degree this year, or has anyone already started or finished one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes I'm starting a design and innovation degree. With engineering design as a 2nd subject. Can't wait to start my first module u101.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Yes I am in my final year of Open Degree. Taking mostly Software Dev / Computer Science. Did 3 Psychology modules as well. Enjoyed the year one Psychology courses (because you tend read about some of the most famous psychologists and their experiments) But D240 in year two got a bit to wishy washy (not very Scientific ) and put me off.

I'd just say to you, that its fun to just pick and choose the subjects that interest you (I've done Maths courses as well) but I kind of regret, not doing a named degree now that's it come to the end of my studies. I am finding it difficult to explain to potential employers what my degree was about.

Remember as well that their are a lot of Free on line University courses now (Stanford, Coursea) that get brilliant reviews and I have found them a lot more challenging and enjoyable than my OU stuff. One of the big differences is that you often get very eminent and experienced Prof/Tutors doing lectures and videos for these courses. Who are full of enthusiasm and knowledge about their subjects.
If had to do it all over again I would have saved my money and explored a few different subjects by doing a few Free online courses first and then maybe have gone for a named degree through who ever.
Original post by Nerol
I'm starting an open degree in October, with my first module as Introduction to Psychology. I plan to study Creative Writing and Psychology modules together in the future.

Is anyone else doing an open degree this year, or has anyone already started or finished one?

Hiya! I'm starting the BSc Psychology in October, I'm really excited. We have the same first module. :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Liiyahjayne
Hiya! I'm starting the BSc Psychology in October, I'm really excited. We have the same first module. :redface:

Cool! Have you studied Psychology before? I've never studied it, so I'm a bit nervous about it. I'll be abroad when I do it as well, which is just making me more nervous! Excited, though, too!
I've done AS Psychology! I found that the concepts were easy to understand and the experiments weren't too complicated. I struggled with remembering so many of them and not mixing up findings! It's so great though! :smile:
Reply 6
How is everyone preparing for their degrees? I have studied a little on the open learn and read a few books but I don't know if it's enough ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yess!! I am doing an open Degree (Spanish and Design Thinking) Soooo nervous!
Reply 8
Original post by Mariloly
Yess!! I am doing an open Degree (Spanish and Design Thinking) Soooo nervous!
:colondollar:
Original post by Sabatman
How is everyone preparing for their degrees? I have studied a little on the open learn and read a few books but I don't know if it's enough ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Similarly to that! You should check out futurelearn which is full of online short courses for free. Some are by the OU and the rest other Universities. It's great to practice that style learning. :smile:
Reply 10
I haven't even begun to prepare. I've had a look at open learn briefly, but I've just not had time for much else! I'm going to China at the end of the month, and I'll be studying there, so that should be interesting! I do love distance learning, I did an A Level with Oxford Open Learning and did a writing course with the Writer's Bureau, and a TEFL course. I can't wait to get stuck in to something new!
Reply 11
I've just finished my Level 2 courses for my Open degree and I'm going to take a year away from it before studying my Level 3 courses.

I've really enjoyed the freedom of being able to study so many diverse and creative things but I've decided this year to do the Professional Certificate in Accounting to make my CV look a little more exciting.

So far I've done Personal Finance, Childhood and Creative Writing and the plan is to finish with Children's Literature and Advanced Creative Writing. The plan changes every few months though so it might be totally different by the time I come to choose next year!

Good luck everyone, for preparation I usually start reading the textbook when it arrives and when the module website opens I take a look at the first assignment and start preparing for it. It gives me plenty of time to raise concerns or to get my head around concepts that I don't quite understand.
Reply 12
Thanks for the comment radio. It gives me more confidence, Really looking forward to starting my degree
Reply 13
Original post by Sabatman
Thanks for the comment radio. It gives me more confidence, Really looking forward to starting my degree

No problem, I love the excitement I feel when I'm waiting for a new module to start. My next course doesn't start til October but the textbook is due to arrive next week and I'm figuring out what stationary I can buy (and never use!). The whole process is far too exciting for me!
Yes I'm starting with Intro to social sciences and will be doing Psychology modules 2. Planning on doing 120 credits per year so full time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I'm half way through my Open Degree.
I starting doing business but quickly changed my mind so now I'm doing social sciences and psychology modules.
I am also halfway to gaining an open degree. My modules so far have been quite diverse.

I started with Law, then tried Business, moved on to Archaeology and I am currently studying D240 - Counselling: Exploring Fear and Sadness.

I have a Social Studies module lined up next.

Overall I am pleased with the OU. The fees are competitive and they are firmly established with a good reputation.

I am wary of many of the 'Universities' that exist today. Its not so long ago that many of them were Colleges of FE where hapless students were sent by their parents to retake their ungraded 'A' levels (in the days when A levels were hard enough that some people used to actually fail them).

Some football managers have kept there jobs nearly as long as many of these places have held university status. I shouldn't knock them like this... I might upset someone... I mean they are good for students that need a useful degree in Chicken Dung Recycling Technology. We all need one of those don't we so that 20,000 of us can chase a single part time job as a Dentist Receptionist.
Original post by 'Old Man River'
I am also halfway to gaining an open degree. My modules so far have been quite diverse.

I started with Law, then tried Business, moved on to Archaeology and I am currently studying D240 - Counselling: Exploring Fear and Sadness.

I have a Social Studies module lined up next.

Overall I am pleased with the OU. The fees are competitive and they are firmly established with a good reputation.

I am wary of many of the 'Universities' that exist today. Its not so long ago that many of them were Colleges of FE where hapless students were sent by their parents to retake their ungraded 'A' levels (in the days when A levels were hard enough that some people used to actually fail them).

Some football managers have kept there jobs nearly as long as many of these places have held university status. I shouldn't knock them like this... I might upset someone... I mean they are good for students that need a useful degree in Chicken Dung Recycling Technology. We all need one of those don't we so that 20,000 of us can chase a single part time job as a Dentist Receptionist.

You're not in a very strong position to be criticising other universities, or A levels for that matter (which incidentally, are far from easy)! Your degree sounds very wishy-washy, your choice of modules shows a clear lack of focus - you could end up a jack of all trades without expertise in anything. Why are you so quick to belittle new universities and the degrees they offer when your own degree is hardly the most academic of courses?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Samual
You're not in a very strong position to be criticising other universities, or A levels for that matter (which incidentally, are far from easy)! Your degree sounds very wishy-washy, your choice of modules shows a clear lack of focus - you could end up a jack of all trades without expertise in anything. Why are you so quick to belittle new universities and the degrees they offer when your own degree is hardly the most academic of courses?

Completely agree :-) open degrees are a good idea but you need to stick to one path if you want to get anything out of it career wise. If your just doing it for fun then fair enough. A levels are definitely not easy and require a huge amount of hard work to get the good grades needed to go to university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ever been had?

Quick Reply

Latest