The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Credit transfer and student finance questions

I am wondering if credits can be transferred to OU for units in a year of a degree not quite completed?

I completed a year of a healthcare related degree which had some modules that could be transferred I think. I then completed all academic modules of the second year but didn’t complete the year/get a Lvl 5 qualification because I didn’t complete placement. I have also done the same with a year of a different healthcare degree, most modules completed at Lvl 4 but no placement so didn’t complete the year. But across all that study I’m sure there could be enough credits to cover 120 of an OU open degree, IF partial year credits can be counted. Does that make sense?

I also have a query about student finance…
I am disabled and the reason for not finishing my SLT degree is that I can’t get to the uni/do placement. I would like to do an Open degree with mostly English to be able to complete a degree/not waste my previous study. I’m looking to study 120 credits a year, so full time. I live in Devon with very few brick unis around.
My question is… would I be in with a chance of a SF maintenance loan because I can’t attend a brick Uni degree?
(a) open degrees aren’t a thing at a brick uni so if I had to do the degree at a brick uni I’d have to start from Yr 1 because credit transfer wouldn’t be an option
(b) I don’t have the UCAS points to get on a brick Uni English degree
(c) my health would severely inhibit me accessing campus for a brick Uni degree

Thanks
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi

You should be able to get credit transfer for at least some of the modules you've completed. Because you're choosing to do an open degree it's likely that most of your modules will be taken as credit transfer - you might only need to take 1 full year, but some of the level 3 modules might have prerequisites level 2 OU modules or equivalent. For example, you wouldn't be able to take a module in Advanced Shakespeare at level 3 unless you'd already completed Intermediate Shakespeare at level 2 or an equivalent module. (I made up the module names, so please don't try to apply for them lol.)

The best thing to do is contact the OU about credit transfer. They might also be able to advise about OU funding/SF.

Good luck with your studies 😁
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest