The Student Room Group

Wanting to go to Japan but not liking most of their food.

Note: I haven't actually eaten any of their food but they just don't appeal to me especially noodles or ramen.

Well I've wanted to go to Japan for some time now but the only thing which is stopping me is the food.
When I was a kid I had my adenoids taken out and from then on I started disliking a good portion of food. The food I used to eat I couldn't stand any more and now 15 years later I still find myself not eating a lot of different food. I don't even like pasta, cheese, crisps, pizza, or fruit. (The smell of pasta or cheese makes me almost physically sick) Anything really which has a weird texture or strong taste. I find it difficult to start eating new food because any food I eat I compare to the stuff I usually eat and if it isn't just as good I will immediately stop eating it.
So my question is what can I do to start liking more different types of food? Is their any tablets which will help me? Anything will be of help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by David B
Note: I haven't actually eaten any of their food but they just don't appeal to me especially noodles or ramen.

Well I've wanted to go to Japan for some time now but the only thing which is stopping me is the food.
When I was a kid I had my adenoids taken out and from then on I started disliking a good portion of food. The food I used to eat I couldn't stand any more and now 15 years later I still find myself not eating a lot of different food. I don't even like pasta, cheese, crisps, pizza, or fruit. (The smell of pasta or cheese makes me almost physically sick) Anything really which has a weird texture or strong taste. I find it difficult to start eating new food because any food I eat I compare to the stuff I usually eat and if it isn't just as good I will immediately stop eating it.
So my question is what can I do to start liking more different types of food? Is their any tablets which will help me? Anything will be of help.

I'm not sure there are any medications you can take for this. :smile: You could always try to start small and get yourself used to eating different foods?

What foods do you like?

Japan has actually got a good range of food - it's not all ramen and sushi. Actually, a lot of sushi is very mild in flavour so you might like it! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I'm not sure there are any medications you can take for this. :smile: You could always try to start small and get yourself used to eating different foods?

What foods do you like?

Japan has actually got a good range of food - it's not all ramen and sushi. Actually, a lot of sushi is very mild in flavour so you might like it! :smile:

I like all meats. and some fish. I like cereal, eggs, What I don't like is pasta, vegetables, fruit, cheese, Italian, Chinese. pizza, and the list goes on. Nothing that has a strong taste or smell.
Original post by David B
I like all meats. and some fish. I like cereal, eggs, What I don't like is pasta, vegetables, fruit, cheese, Italian, Chinese. pizza, and the list goes on. Nothing that has a strong taste or smell.

Do you like rice?

There's a lot of donburi which is basically things on rice. :smile: It can be quite simple and delicious. You can ask for 'tonkatsu' which is breaded meat with egg on rice, you might like that. :smile:

You can try okonomiyaki which is pretty much like an omelette. Lots of okonomiyaki restaurants are DIY so you can keep it as plain as you like. :smile:

There's also plenty of western fast food chains in Japan like KFC and MacDonalds, if you want something familiar. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Do you like rice?

There's a lot of donburi which is basically things on rice. :smile: It can be quite simple and delicious. You can ask for 'tonkatsu' which is breaded meat with egg on rice, you might like that. :smile:

You can try okonomiyaki which is pretty much like an omelette. Lots of okonomiyaki restaurants are DIY so you can keep it as plain as you like. :smile:

There's also plenty of western fast food chains in Japan like KFC and MacDonalds, if you want something familiar. :smile:

Thanks for your responses, I don't like MacDonalds due to the fact they have got cheese. I really need to visit some local Japanese restaurants to try each of their food.
Japanese food in Japan tastes much better than Japanese food in UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
They have loads of other, non-Japanese restaurants!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest